version update: this post now carries the installer for version 2.22 - full changelog in process
Our latest release of the cryptostorm network access widget, version 2.2, picked up the nickname 'sexy narwhal' as part of our cryptostorm² project anniversary shenanigans. With Valentine's Day just around the corner, the 2.x 'Narwhal' theme was inevitably going to get a bit frisky. Thar she blows, indeed...
It is not difficult to see that this release has brought together more improvements, extensions, refinements, & efficiency improvements than all previous widget upgrades combined. This progress is the direct result of generous feedback and assistance on the part of dozens of cryptostorm membes & those in the security tech community who have given generously of their time & expertise to help this project continue its groundbreaking embrace of serious security technology in a widely-accessible, LEO-hardened, decentralised structure.
Specifically, improvements include:
new features added this release...
- ☂ transparent TCP/UDP preference selection per session
☂ full support for torstorm transparent, traffic correlation attack-resistent Tor hidden services access
☂ seamless in-browser access to namecoin-enabled .bit domain names
☂ full integration into HAF-based gateway cluster & balancer capabilities
☂ full, four-TLD nameserver resolution redundancy implemented for all clusters & balancers
☂ complete elimination of the webRTC browser IP leak, whenever connected to cryptostorm
☂ support for Stochastic Port Assignment (SPaS) on-connect
☂ layered defences against leaked IPv6 packets, via proractive tunnelling & local nullrouting
☂ addition of further syntax to enforce Windows kernel's use of correct (pushed) DNS resolvers
☂ full upstream support for cryptostorms dnschain/dnscurve-enabled Icelandic resolvers
☂ minor tuning of caching/queueing syntax to support improved network throughput
☂ complete integration of no-cost cryptofree capped-speed fallback connectivity
☂ improved local-environment taskbar status messaging
☂ improved support for upstream-pushed messages & parameter updates
☂ full synchronisation with version 1.4 openvpn.conf parameter framework
bugs evicted peacefully...
- ☂ process hang during graceful exit - FIXED
☂ suboptimal threading performance - FIXED
☂ forced-reinstall routines for onboard TAP driver, to eliminate "zombie TAP" Win7/8 bug - SUBSTANTIALLY MITIGATED
☂ deprecation of the 2.0 version widget's now-(in)famous "Ben-Wa Balls" splash screen
2.21 maintenance release summary...
- ☂ difficulty installing smoothly on 32-bit Windows platforms - FIXED
☂ unintended deprecation of webRTC firewall-based leakblocks by other firewall applications locally - FIXED
☂ documented DNS query leaks out-of-tunnel via inactive NIC parameter queries - FIXED
☂ optional disabling of splash screen display during startup <-- new feature!
2.22 maintenance release summary...
- ☂ improved webRTC leakblock fix, via port-based blacklisting of STUN packets - FIXED
Full release details for validation, source review, & comparative analysis
- Canonical version: github.com/cryptostorm
Opensource licensing terms available here
(prior release (2.0) forum thread: Narwhal announce)
Uncompressed (.exe) production-ready binaries:
- cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.exe's MD5: fd2ecec7a1627a7fad87b8df4bc19f8a
cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.exe's SHA1: 4077732b3993a2042904fdb8bd4de911df1e6a5a
virustotal malware scan results for above-referenced hash-matched .exe are found here
Archive-format (.zip) production binaries:
- cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.zip's MD5: d672b6c71b94a31db85f45a6bf3b4daf
cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.zip's SHA1: 05c675699d0518cb805e48113e38c818516f8c14
ツ ツ ツ ツ
end notes & acknowledgements:
1. Stochastic Port Assignment feature is not officially known as "port-whoring" & any team member who says tweets otherwise is a dork...bot.
3. Musical debugging assistance graciously provided by minimalism laboratory.
4. Strategic humour deployments on the part of BYD are also acknowledged with genuine thanks.
4. Most excellent 'pink sexy narwhals' splash screen graphic courtesy @dfkt.
5. Beware swarming mantas.
6. Many, many cherry twizzles.
7. Cerveza on the playa with dorkbot, watching the sun set over the pacific.
6. Needs moar moustache...
[color=#800080]...our deepest respect to Chelsea Manning, Jeremy Hammond, Barrett Brown, #OpKillingBay, #OpFunKill, & all the unsung heroes who do the hard behind-the-scenes work of supporting these frontline peaceful warriors ~ we are honoured to follow your courageous leadership towards a better future for all. Namaste.