Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

widget v3

Looking for a bit more than customer support, and want to learn more about what cryptostorm is , what we've been announcing lately, and how the cryptostorm network makes the magic? This is a great place to start, so make yourself at home!

KungFuChe

Re: widget v3

Postby KungFuChe » Sun May 14, 2017 11:37 am

UPDATE: a cable fault was determined to be the cause of hang at splash screen (need to trap PHY errors)

Also noticed some state corruption related to suspend/resume. Observed the following issues:

- widget appears in tray but connection is not routed through VPN
- widget disappears from tray but VPN connnection still active
- widget crashes on exit request and clearnet connectivity is not restored (but can reconnect to VPN if widget is relaunched)

+ Suggest testing for OS/CPU compatibility

(example: dont install latest TAP driver on XP/POSready, dont install binaries with SSE2 instructions on unsupported CPU)

PS - forum says you can edit your posts but edit button does not appear at the next login

rwilcher

Postby rwilcher » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:17 am

I have been running v3 for 3 days now. Have seen no instability
under Windows 10. Works like a champ so far.

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 am

Just built a new widget v3.0.0.72 that includes code that now saves that connect timeout value (Under "Options" -> "Connecting") so it's remembered on restart.

Also OpenVPN/OpenSSL binaries/libraries upgraded to 2.3.16/1.0.2l.

Latest hashes for https://cryptostorm.is/cryptostorm_setup.exe -
crc32: 6fe993a6
md4: 2c09931daadb7ac8e88401422364c0ea
md5: 47a1d8d88fbe1c9b8655669af25f65a9
ripemd160: 0d233cd5f3c4842c772df06f2ebb4d42eccf93d0
sha1: b87c4cf014e70b8eabb462d2330388f9f87ce4a8
sha256: f9cabb029ea14a30feff44a33ed2ec8b73f9508d5840eb0bb495b7ab6bf4e083
sha384: ded51f638c8cef40a9a2ea268360d90ef213e6bf049a5aa5e427f027bc867ea2e65e767a332d9a564110b168903bab00
sha512: 3b6f4e4c14880f77dd980edcd9bbb414d83ed183a8dce91c9801858d6cedc53ceea1acb39bb567fa4f0b0e8ae3aded3f03858790d6efdd3805a7a9f687a828e0
wpool512: e407fe382d3f31d3189b0f237feb41a6541e7be1e5f1dfbfa75d6baedeae1ff815af2d32f2a3a8f6b5c16ddee18926443a5364e0d096150682bf9c1179aa4342

@KungFuChe
XP is no longer supported. Anyone still on XP will have to stay on the older v2.22, which won't receive any new updates, unless some horribly vulnerable issue is discovered in the openvpn/openssl that version uses.
It's usually a bad idea to provide backwards compatibility for an OS version that stopped receiving security updates several years ago.
I do plan on doing more tests regarding the different ways internet can be disconnected and how to detect it so the widget responds accordingly.
Same goes for the different CPU features and architectures, and the systray issues that seem to vary by Windows version.

rwilcher

Postby rwilcher » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:22 pm

What is the correct v3 widget I should get ? Confusing.

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 am

@rwilcher
The latest one is always at https://cryptostorm.is/cryptostorm_setup.exe

rwilcher

Postby rwilcher » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:30 am

Thank you very much.

ATurtle

Postby ATurtle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Glad to see that XP is finally being killed off by providers!

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 am

@ATurtle
If anyone is still using XP, they clearly don't care about security.
You could argue that Microsoft updates doesn't equate to security (which is accurate), but since XP hasn't received security patches for several years now, using it under any pretense is just plain dumb.
Maybe in a system/VM that's offline, or behind such a restrictive firewall that nothing's possible... but then what's the point?

JTD121

Postby JTD121 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:36 pm

So just looking for an update, and it looks like I can't upgrade the client? Even running as admin on Windows 8.1 gives me the following error:

Of course, watching that file, it gets created, and what looks like a temp file, and then this error pops up. So something is trying to change the client.exe before this happens.

Any ideas?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You derive personal satisfaction from the continued existence of the near perfect day-night cycles of the hyper cube.....

► Show Spoiler

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 pm

@JTD121
Do you get that error when running cryptostorm_setup.exe? If so, you should exit the widget before you begin the installation. Windows can't overwrite client.exe if it's already running. Although, the installation should detect if the widget is already running and ask if it's okay to close it before attempting to overwrite it.

JTD121

Postby JTD121 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:40 am

@df, Y'know, I don't know what the issue was, but I restarted this specific laptop and just tried again, and it worked without a hitch.

Previously I made sure the client.exe and csvpn EXEs weren't running, so maybe it was pending OS updates?

Since we're on the subject, any updates past 3.0.0.72?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You derive personal satisfaction from the continued existence of the near perfect day-night cycles of the hyper cube.....

► Show Spoiler

saenta

Postby saenta » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Hey, just joined cryptostorm last weak, I've a question, will there be a client based on opoenvpn 2.4?
Also how are plans going for an android client?
Thanks!
It's pretty awesome what a great service with many good Ideas you build!
Realy looking forward what you will create in the future!
Thanks!

LazyAss

Postby LazyAss » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Is there an "undo" batch file or instructions anywhere?

It seems this version of the launcher can leave you with strange DNS settings after it's uninstalled, even if you deselect dnscrypt before uninstalling it.

Presumably it tweaks other settings as well that aren't properly reset to defaults.

DpFH

Postby DpFH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:51 pm

noticed this too but unsure of your present OS type...
This happens if you are also running another DNScrypt instance.

with simplednscrypt (windoze) you will just need to re-select your earlier dnscrypt enabled servers from the dropdown menu.
And to re-select the adapters for which dnscrypt has temporarily changed ie the TAP/tun adapters and LAN adapter

Then, if other nameserver values still remain ,
you only have to remove-and-reinstall the DNSCrypt service.

through a few mouse clicks (and there is no need to uninstall/reinstall the present dnscrypt software you are using).

If the service is up and listening on the correct ports

Primary nameserver ---------> 127.0.0.1 (port 53) and

sec. nameserver #2 -------------------> 127.0.0.2

the gui is easiest route if unsure about terminal based commands.

Those with only the dnscrypt-proxy service installed have to type the stuff via the console/terminal method. Or restart the service under "Services"

Next you could try :

/nslookup cryptostorm.is

to determine the current resolvers

redman

Postby redman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:35 am

i opened cryptostorm a couple of days ago and it asked and performed an update. Since then I have not been able to connect, it hangs at the point "Logging into the darknet". I have uninstall and reinstalled with no luck. I have also removed OpenVPN and halted the AV software during the re-installation. How do I get the logs to see what is causing the issue as area where the logs are usually visible is black. I am running Windows 10 32 bit version.
Screen.PNG

carsol

Postby carsol » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:00 pm

redman wrote:i opened cryptostorm a couple of days ago and it asked and performed an update. Since then I have not been able to connect, it hangs at the point "Logging into the darknet". I have uninstall and reinstalled with no luck. I have also removed OpenVPN and halted the AV software during the re-installation. How do I get the logs to see what is causing the issue as area where the logs are usually visible is black. I am running Windows 10 32 bit version.
Screen.PNG

This is exactly where it al stops for me :-(
(but i try the paid servers)

carsol

Postby carsol » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 am

and after downloading a new version (3.12) it works again :-)

BonusWavePilot

Postby BonusWavePilot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 am

New client seems to be working pretty well!

It does still tend to crash if you put the PC to sleep while it is running though. (Win 7 laptop) That isn't a huge issue in itself, as the old version used to fairly reliably die or get confused when sleeping too. Fair enough - if it is disconnected for a while the VPN connection is bound to drop. What *is* more of an issue is that it fails open now.

So if I restore my lappie from sleep, the client is minimised in the taskbar and refuses to be restored, I am no longer connected to the VPN, and (unprotected) Internet access is working. Previously when the client had a connection error, it would also break Internet access in general until it was closed.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 am

Hi,

Win 10 Pro OS Build 16299.192

CS widget 3.12

Feedback

DNS set to 185.60.147.77 (Switzerland)

Clicking connect getting error message within the widget:

Cannot resolve windows-switzerland-cryptostorm.net:443 (No such host is known. )
This usually means something is wrong with your DNS settings.

Also not getting immediately another windows with the error message:

Error: Cannot resolve windows-switzerland.cstorm.pw

While the widget is still open with the error message, I go the DNS settings which are now 127.0.0.1. I change them to Obtain DNS server address automatically, and click connect again, and it is now connecting.

Had I exited the widget after the error message and then change the DNS to Obtain DNS server address automatically, I would get the same error connection message.

This happens every morning (after overnight shutdown of the PC and modem) since the change over from the Narwhal widget. When the PC and modem are shutdown during the day (for a couple of hours), no issue reconnecting.

Don't know if and how this issue can be fixed.

Suggestion

2. When I lose connection I am not getting immediately (it is taking a long time and it does not come on top) on top of everything another windows with the error message (like for the Narwhal widget):

Error: Cannot resolve windows-switzerland.cstorm.pw

I become aware of the lost connection because pages are no longer loading and the small widget icon in the taskbar has discreetly become red.

Would appreciate if this issue can be looked into and possibly resolved with the next release.

Thank you.

crimghost

Postby crimghost » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:53 am

The same thing is happening to me that Moonlight is describing. "Obtain DNS server automatically" must be set manually back every time I disconnect or get disconnected from cryptostorm before I can reconnect to the internet or to cryptostorm. Sometimes the widget leaves the DNS that it set from DNScrypt. Sometimes it's 127.0.0.1.
It's been like this for me since the last big build update to Windows 10 64 bit

crimghost

Postby crimghost » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Also, "network reset" in windows 10 Network and Internet settings no longer repairs the issue, for me. It has in the past though so some may want to try it. Just open network and internet settings scroll all the way to the bottom and there it is. The system will reboot and may or may not fix your issues.

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 pm

New widget build released just now, v3.13.
Those of you on v3.12, you should get a prompt informing you of the new version then asking you if you want to upgrade.
For anyone else not already using the widget (or using < v3.12), it's available at https://cryptostorm.is/cryptostorm_setup.exe with hashes @ https://cryptostorm.is/cryptostorm_setup.exe.txt

Included in this latest widget is access to the new ECC (Elliptic-Curve Cryptography) instances, which use the strongest available crypto OpenVPN 2.4.x has to offer. You can turn on this feature by going to Options -> Security and selecting the "Use ECC instances" checkbox. Only for 64 bit Windows, since these features require OpenVPN 2.4.x, which has dropped support for 32 bit Windows.
The server/CA certificate for these instances is also using EC, which means smaller key size with better (or equivalent) crypto, which generally means better speeds.
More info about these instances can be found at https://github.com/cryptostorm/cryptost ... master/ecc
and if you want to learn more about the specific configuration directives used, there's comments on almost every line of each of those configs explaining them.

Also included is a killswitch! You can turn it on under Options -> Security then clicking "Enable killswitch".
It'll turn on when you press the Back button to go back to the main window.
It uses Windows firewall to block everything except our VPN server IPs and our DNS IPs, so if your internet disconnects or your connection to the VPN is severed, you won't leak anything to the internet.
Of course, since this is Windows, I would still recommend using an external device to implement your own killswitch on your router/firewall, since it's known that Microsoft has the ability to remove firewall rules remotely.

The other changes are mostly bug fixes, such as better handling of DNS settings when switching to/from dnscrypt-proxy. This should fix the problem people were having where DNS was getting left at 127.0.0.1 after exiting the widget.

Source code is up at https://github.com/cryptostorm/cstorm_w ... /client.pl if anyone's interested.

crimghost

Postby crimghost » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 am

It no longer changes my DNS to 127.0.0.1 when I exit the widget, but it still changes it to that when I first open the widget every time and once I exit settings to go back to the main screen of the widget. Also, the random port checkbox must be selected every time the widget is opened. It will not stay selected once the widget is closed then reopened.

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:40 pm

@crimghost
When you first open the widget or when you exit settings, does DNS get set to 127.0.0.1 even if the DNSCrypt option is disabled?

crimghost

Postby crimghost » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:01 am

That's a no on both. It works fine as long as DNSCrypt is disabled. I hope I can resolve this though.
I like DNSCrypt and appreciate your help and the time you have taken developing the widget and all of it's features for us. I'm looking forward to seeing what else is coming. I just bought another 1yr token today. :)

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:57 pm

New version 3.16.0.220 is out, available at https://cryptostorm.is/cryptostorm_setup.exe

In this version, almost all of the DNS related code was rewritten to automatically address a lot of the previous issues people were having.
The widget now "pre-resolves" the host you're connecting to. One reason for this is that it allows the widget to detect (and fix) common DNS related issues, such as a firewall blocking DNS or DNS not being set correctly before the widget runs.
If the system's default DNS isn't working correctly, the widget will first try to use DNSCrypt (if it's not already enabled, and only after asking the user if that's okay). If that fails, the final fix is to switch to Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS server (again, only after asking the user if that's okay).

Another reason for the pre-resolving is that it's needed for the new feature "Let me choose my exit IP", available under Options -> Connecting.
When you select that option, a window will pop up when you connect to a node, and if that node has more than one IP associated with it (most do), it'll let you choose which one to use.
It also includes a "Remember my choice" option so that it'll automatically choose that IP next time you connect, useful for those with the "Automatically connect" option enabled.
If you want the widget to forget one of your IP choices (or all of them), you can also do that under Options -> Connecting. If you have any IPs remembered, a drop down list will appear there with all the IPs you've saved, and under that a "Forget" button.

Another new feature is that TrackerSmacker ("TS"), our DNS-based ad/tracker blocking service, is now optional. It's enabled by default in the new widget, but if you want to disable it you can now do so under Options -> Security. More info @ https://cryptostorm.is/ts

Although not specifically a widget feature, we now allow port forwarding as well. Details on that are available at https://cryptostorm.is/portfwd

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Err, make that version 3.17.0.220.

In version 3.16, a minor bug caused the widget to not remember your node selection choice when the widget starts (it kept defaulting to "Global random").
I also added some new text when DNS fails with the killswitch enabled, because some people were enabling the kill switch without enabling DNSCrypt or setting their system/network's DNS to a CS one, which of course would be blocked by the killswitch to prevent DNS leaks during pre-connect.
Now it'll explain that they need to use our DNS or enable DNSCrypt, otherwise the killswitch won't allow DNS out.

Also upgraded dnscrypt-proxy to the latest v2.0.15.

RubRiches

Postby RubRiches » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:51 am

Hey Guys,
Windows defender detected a Trojan and blocks the download.
Trojan detected is Trojan:Win32/Fuery.B!cl and Severity level is High. Please check and update.

Did some research and this looks like a Trojan.

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:22 am

@RubRiches
It's just a false positive. The CS widget installer randomly gets caught up in their database because it uses the same compression (LZ4) as some trojans.
I use a local win7 VM for widget dev, and the only thing installed on it is the stuff needed for widget dev (Perl, Notepad++, etc.).
I do file integrity checks on that stuff to make sure when I downloaded them they weren't MiTM'd.
The widget installer's hashes were generated on that local VM, and they're checked on the remote VM I use to build the widget, and then they're checked a final time when they're put up on the website.

So it's highly unlikely that something as simple as "Win32/Fuery.B!cl" is going to find it's way into the widget installer (unless your system is already infected :P).
http://deletespywares.blogspot.com/2017 ... rybcl.html -

For instance, it can enter your machine when you click on a malicious link, provided on YouTube, Facebook, Skype, visit a phishing web portal, put infected removable media drive onto your machine, etc. Besides, it is also known that Trojan: Win32/Fuery.B!cl has been spread through Java vulnerabilities and Adobe Flash

Yea, I'm not using/doing any of that crap on any of the VMs or servers.

Anyways, I'll do what I did last time this happened: send M$ a false positive report so they'll remove it.

EDIT:
I just tested with Windows Defender on win7 and win10 with updated databases, they didn't find anything in the latest installer.

RubRiches

Postby RubRiches » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:33 am

df wrote:@RubRiches
It's just a false positive. The CS widget installer randomly gets caught up in their database because it uses the same compression (LZ4) as some trojans.
I use a local win7 VM for widget dev, and the only thing installed on it is the stuff needed for widget dev (Perl, Notepad++, etc.).
I do file integrity checks on that stuff to make sure when I downloaded them they weren't MiTM'd.
The widget installer's hashes were generated on that local VM, and they're checked on the remote VM I use to build the widget, and then they're checked a final time when they're put up on the website.

So it's highly unlikely that something as simple as "Win32/Fuery.B!cl" is going to find it's way into the widget installer (unless your system is already infected :P).
http://deletespywares.blogspot.com/2017 ... rybcl.html -

For instance, it can enter your machine when you click on a malicious link, provided on YouTube, Facebook, Skype, visit a phishing web portal, put infected removable media drive onto your machine, etc. Besides, it is also known that Trojan: Win32/Fuery.B!cl has been spread through Java vulnerabilities and Adobe Flash

Yea, I'm not using/doing any of that crap on any of the VMs or servers.

Anyways, I'll do what I did last time this happened: send M$ a false positive report so they'll remove it.

EDIT:
I just tested with Windows Defender on win7 and win10 with updated databases, they didn't find anything in the latest installer.

Huh, that is weird. I ran Malware bytes and my system is ok.
No worries though I was able to download the new version and now I am stuck on the progress bar while connecting.

This is where it is stuck:
Sat Jul 07 07:52:09 2018 us=54756 [cryptostorm server] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]213.163.64.210:5060
Sat Jul 07 07:52:10 2018 us=150762 SENT CONTROL [cryptostorm server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)

Tried unchecking ECC instance, then DNS leak etc... but no good.
Please see if there is something I need to do.

One more request can you guys improve the widget as such that I don't have to exit the widget to go to Options while it is trying to connect.

Thank @df

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 am

"The widget now "pre-resolves" the host you're connecting to"

Would it be safe to assume that the above means if I choose a random node to connect to in the widget, then all nodes will be attempted to be pre-resolved... and if I choose one specific node from the dropdown, then just that one will be pre-resolved?

Also, is there any documentation that shows me which country the server names relate to? eg: brabant, blocko, etc...

With the new additions to the widget, have to sorta' redesign my firewall rules to accomodate. Just trying to get enough info to work with... thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
What is the IP address that is referenced when I want to update node list?
Not sure is cryptostorm.nu is down? Just saw this post from @df "about node list"
Is it still 212.83.185.245

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 am

don't worry about the updating node list issue... I went a bit spastic during a copy and paste and ruined a rule!

By the way, I've noticed when it connects now...
Sat Jul 07 00:57:18 2018 us=108037 C:\Windows\system32\route.exe ADD 128.0.0.0 MASK 128.0.0.0 10.84.0.1

How often does the 10.84.0.1 change?
In the past 3 connections, I've seen it go from 10.84 to 10.88 and then 10.94...

No big deal, just means I gotta broaden the rules haha

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:39 pm

@marzametal
Each VPN instance uses a different 10.x.0.0/16 B-class, mostly because if I used the same B-class (or C-class) for multiple instances, two different clients might be assigned the same 10.x.x.x IP.
There's a check in place to prevent that from happening per-instance, but not per-server, so each instance gets it's own B-class.

On the older servers that only have 4 VPN IPs, there's 6 instances:
win TCP, ECC TCP, linux TCP, win UDP, ECC UDP, linux UDP
On those servers, I generally stick to networks:
10.33.0.0/16 for linux UDP
10.34.0.0/16 for linux TCP
10.44.0.0/16 for win UDP
10.45.0.0/16 for win TCP
10.54.0.0/16 for ECC UDP
10.55.0.0/16 for ECC TCP

On the newer servers that have large(ish) IP pools assigned to them (currently: frankfurt, paris, england, romania, ussouth, and switzerland), I'll usually start at 10.60.0.0/16 and increment it by one per IP.
But some of those servers (frankfurt, paris, and romania) are using new IP pools plus the above ranges, because
those three weren't new servers, they were just old ones I bought more IPs for.
Doing it that way on those three servers meant I could setup the new instances without disturbing the VPN sessions of people who were connected to the old instances.
For england, ussouth, and switzerland, they were new servers so I didn't have to bother with working around old instances. So for those 3, they only use 10.60.0.0/16 and onward (highest atm being 10.149.0.0/16).

Some time in the near future there might be more 10.x.0.0/16 networks used when other things get added (new instances for obfuscation protocols, wireguard [if they ever release a stable branch of that], etc.)

As for your firewall rules against 10.0.0.0/8, the only reason to do that would be to prevent your machine from accessing other things in your LAN (if your LAN is also in 10.0.0.0/8), since the networks listed in RFC1918 (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16) can't reach the internet.

If you're using a local firewall on the same machine you'll be connecting to cryptostorm with, you should keep in mind that the CS 10.0.0.0/8 traffic is only going out on the tunnel interface/adapter. The interface/adapter for your internet connection (eth0 in Linux, "Ethernet" in Windows, etc.) will only see traffic from you to the public/internet CS VPN IP.
Knowing that, you could add an exception to the local firewall so that only the tunnel interface can reach 10.0.0.0/8 (Usually tun0 in Linux, or whatever the TAP network adapter name is in Windows).
That way you can still prevent your machine from accessing the rest of your LAN by blocking access to 10.0.0.0/8 on your other non-tunnel interfaces/adapters.

If your firewall is on the network's router, and you're connecting to cryptostorm using a machine behind that router, it won't be seeing your traffic to the CS 10.0.0.0/8 network since that'll already be encrypted by the time it reaches your router.
So for that setup, you should be using the public CS IPs for a killswitch. You could even setup a rule based on source IP, for when you only want to do a killswitch for one or specific machines on your network.

If you're doing both the killswitch and connecting to cryptostorm on your router, then the stuff I said the paragraph before the last one would apply.

EDIT:
And yes, cryptostorm.nu is still @ 212.83.185.245, and the widget still uses that to check for nodelist updates.
And if using an external killswitch, with the new IP pools, you can't just use the balancer's DNS anymore since not all IPs are listed there.
You could do what the widget does and load all the hosts from https://cryptostorm.nu/nodelist3.txt (I.e., `awk -F: '{print $NF}' nodelist3.txt`), then resolve them, then add those IPs to your firewall.
FYI: If you add a hostname to an iptables rule, it'll add all the IPs that hostname resolves to.
If you don't wanna do that, https://cryptostorm.is/whitelist also has a list of all the possible exit IPs.

Regarding your question about the server names, I've gone ahead and updated https://cryptostorm.is/whitelist to also include the region in the comments, next to the server name:

Code: Select all

csis@cryptostorm.is [~/www]# grep ^\# whitelist
#onyx / paris
#cf-i / cryptofree
#alors / paris
#tagus / lisbon
#jord / switzerland
#skana / canadawest
#goo / useast (New York City, NY)
#windy / usnorth (Chicago, IL)
#resurgens / ussouth (Atlanta, GA) - will be removed in August 2018, replaced with "resurg"
#rugby / england
#ham - canadaeast
#silver - uswest (Las Vegas, NV)
#riga - latvia
#rotte - netherlands
#warsaw - poland
#stadi - finland
#warlock - dusseldorf
#brabant - netherlands
#stakaya - uswest (Seattle, WA)
#dc - useast (Washington, D.C.)
#lax - uswest (Los Angeles, CA)
#blocko - denmark
#gambit - rome
#zuna - frankfurt
#voodoo - isle of man
#voodoo - romania
#voodoo - russia
#sallad - ussouth (Dallas, TX)
#balaur - romania
#resurg - ussouth (Atlanta, GA)
#zur - switzerland

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:20 pm

@RubRiches
RubRiches wrote:Huh, that is weird. I ran Malware bytes and my system is ok.
No worries though I was able to download the new version and now I am stuck on the progress bar while connecting.

This is where it is stuck:
Sat Jul 07 07:52:09 2018 us=54756 [cryptostorm server] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]213.163.64.210:5060
Sat Jul 07 07:52:10 2018 us=150762 SENT CONTROL [cryptostorm server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)

Tried unchecking ECC instance, then DNS leak etc... but no good.
Please see if there is something I need to do.

One more request can you guys improve the widget as such that I don't have to exit the widget to go to Options while it is trying to connect.

Yea, the malware bytes scan means it was just a false positive.
For your progress bar issue, is csvpn.exe running? Open up the task manager and go to the processes tab to see.
If it is, check with cryptostorm.is/test to see if your IP changed.
If not, or if csvpn.exe isn't running, then something else is most likely closing csvpn.exe (That's OpenVPN).
Try adding to both Malware Bytes and Windows Defender an exclusion for the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptostorm Client\

As for your last request, that design is intentional. Allowing the user to change options while connecting can cause leaks or other unexpected results. The only way to prevent those issues would be to create more CPU threads that constantly check for option changes, which would make the widget's overall CPU utilization a lot higher than it needs to be. Instead, I choose to simply disable the options button while connecting/connected.

@marzametal
marzametal wrote:Would it be safe to assume that the above means if I choose a random node to connect to in the widget, then all nodes will be attempted to be pre-resolved... and if I choose one specific node from the dropdown, then just that one will be pre-resolved?

If you choose "Global random", it just resolves "windows-balancer.cstorm.pw" (or .cryptostorm.nu, i forget).
If you choose a specific node, it only resolves that one.
Basically, it does the exact thing OpenVPN would have done, only now that it pre-resolves it allows me to check for common DNS errors. Once the pre-resolve is done, it gives OpenVPN the IP you pick.

The only time all the hosts (balancers and nodes) are resolved is whenever you enable the killswitch, since that's now necessary due to those new servers with the bigger IP pools.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:55 pm

I have noticed that all relevant DNS addresses relating to the specific node you are connecting to have to be reachable to prevent the user being asked if they want to go to 1.1.1.1

I found this out because I use a DNS Proxy, and since for this example, USA SOUTH has 3 DNS addresses, if two are commented out in my proxy configuration file, and the widget references one of the commented DNS addresses,then it throws that option.

So, to prevent the 1.1.1.1 reference, for those who use a DNS Proxy such as Acrylic, uncomment all DNS addresses relating to the node you want, and then post-connection comment out the ones that were not used by widget.

Also, for those who use Acrylic (not sure how this would be done for other DNS Proxy software), I now have two entries that bypass 127.0.0.1 and go straight to the DNS Server (on router have CS DNS entries)... without these two entries, every time I click on the UPDATE button for node list, it would time out, and when the latest widget would resolve on connection, it would also time out... just for those who are interested :)
NAME1=cryptostorm.nu
NAME2=cstorm.pw

Thanks for adding the extra information on the whitelist df... makes things easier!
Keep up the good work!

I knew I was doing something wrong!
"10.5.0.2-10.5.255.254,10.44.0.2-10.44.255.254,10.66.0.2-10.66.255.254,10.84.0.2-10.84.255.254,10.86.0.2-10.86.255.254,10.88.0.2-10.88.255.254,10.92.0.2-10.92.255.254" this is what it looks like at the moment for an outbound rule hahaha

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:09 am

Forgot to update this thread with info on the latest build.

Fixed a GUI issue some had when running Windows at a non-default scaling setting.
It would cause the progress bar to overlap a little bit with the "Connect" button.
In the Options window the "Block intrusive ads/trackers" wouldn't be visible to the user.

Some people complained that the previous version would open an extra cmd.exe
The reason for that is that OpenVPN 2.4.6 now requires a password to be specified for the management interface, which the widget opens on 127.0.0.1
Previously, the widget was doing a simple

Code: Select all

echo $management_password | csvpn.exe --config-options
to start OpenVPN.
That echo command is why the extra cmd.exe was being created and left open.
Now, the management password is stored in a temporary file in the "user" folder, so an extra cmd.exe isn't left in the process list.
And that management password is changed on every connect for added security.

I also modified the LZMA2 compression configuration for the installer, which seems to make all the AV false positives go away. But from now on, I'll scan the latest installer @ virustotal.com and jotti.org just to make sure there's not any false positives before I release it.

Sakura

Postby Sakura » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm not sure if this is the most relevant topic to come up with this issue, but: every time I update the CS widget it screws up my DNScrypt-proxy. I need to reinstall it, otherwise no adresses resolve. This turns a simple update into quite a hassle. Especially since DNScrypt-proxy is hard to configure but after that it needs no maintanace, so by the time I need to reinstall it I forget how to configure it and have the relearn the whole thing.
I've seen that the CS widget has a DNScrypt-proxy too, and I'd gladly use that, but it can't be configured at all, and when I don't connect to the VPN my ISP-s DNS server will be used.

Is there any way to make the widget not conflict with the proxy or to have it's own proxy a better use?

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:35 am

@Sakura
The CS widget uses a bundled DNScrypt-proxy to protect pre-connect DNS. If you'd prefer to use your own DNSCrypt setup, simply disable ours by going to Options -> Security and uncheck the "Enable DNSCrypt" box.

If you'd like to use our DNSCrypt servers, https://raw.githubusercontent.com/crypt ... proxy.toml has a list that's compatible with the latest DNSCrypt-proxy v2.
If you're still using DNSCrypt-proxy v1, the list you should use is @ https://raw.githubusercontent.com/crypt ... olvers.csv

Some of ours are included in the official DNSCrypt resolvers list @ https://dnscrypt.info/public-servers , but they don't keep it as up to date as ours is.

Sakura

Postby Sakura » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm

It seem that my reply wasn't posted. I try to post again.

I'd use the bundled DNScrypt-proxy, but it seems to work only when connected to the VPN service. I can't configure anything on it and even though dnscrypt-proxy.exe is running in the background when the client is started (but only then), still my ISP's DNS servers are used. Even if I start the dnscrypt-proxy.exe manually, still sometimes it canges the DNS server, sometimes it doesn't.
So, unless there is a solution to use the bundled DNScrypt-proxy when not connected to the service (that would be optimal), I'm better off with the official proxy. The problem is, that when I update the CS client, it asks to turn off the installed DNScrypt-proxy, and then I can't just re-enable it, I have to reinstall it.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 am

Hi,

Win 10 Pro x64 OS Build 17763.1

CS widget 3.30.0.217

Feedback

Cannot connect with ECC default checked (all other options in security tab are checked as well).

Tried the 3 different ECC options and cannot connect either.

Unchecked the ECC option and still cannot connect.

No error message, just displaying not connected.

Tried Switzerland, Germany (both), Sweden and Canada West.

Went back to 3.18.0.201 (after complete uninstall of 3.30.0.217)

Can connect but option to select exit node (Switzerland and Canada West) is no longer working - do not think it's related to latest win10 update (3 Oct) as I had the option yesterday for Switzerland (a quickly disappearing message says something about skipping IP as there is only one?).

Also now when I exit from the security tab, I get the following message : Error: Cannot resolve voodoo-windows-isleofman,cstorm,pw:

On a side note, a few days ago the 185... Switzerland exit node disappeared, it was a good one as I was not prompted for a captcha for several sites compared to the current 81.17.31.38. Less captcha with 81.17.31.40 yesterday, but still.

Thank you.

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am

@Moonlight
See https://cryptostorm.is/new
We've changed some things around, and got rid of the voodoo instances (for now).
3.30.0.217 includes all these changes though. I'd suggest trying to disable different things in the security tab to see if any of those are causing issues (the killswitch, dnscrypt, etc.)

auto123412

Postby auto123412 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:30 am

Hi, I am also having issues after upgrading to 3.30.
I can only connect to "Global Random" as any other nodes only attempts a connection but then nothing , ends in not connected.

I have tried turning all the security features off but it makes no difference...

When I manage to connect to Global Random, no dns is available.. Or at least no dns lookup works . not even for cryptostorm.is.

Where can I get ahold of v3.18 to attempt a downgrade until the issues have been solved?

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:35 am

@DF

Win 10 Pro x64 OS Build 17763.55 (previously 17763.1)

Re-installed 3.30.0.217 again on top of 3.18.0.201

All working now :

all security options checked
ECC default
choice of exit nodes (more added?) available again
no "Error: Cannot resolve voodoo-windows-isleofman,cstorm,pw:" message

Thank you! :)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:29 am

Win 10 Pro x64 OS Build 17763.55 (previously 17763.1)

3.30.0.217 was working yesterday but stopped today, even with all security options unchecked.

Went back to 3.18.0.201 (not clean install), and connected immediately.

Downloaded 3.31.0.218, installed it on top and it's all working :

ECC default
choice of exit nodes available
no "Error: Cannot resolve voodoo-windows-isleofman,cstorm,pw:" message

On a side note (minor), getting the message do I wish to set the DNS to 1.1.1.1 always come up even though it's already set to that (checked it again just after appearance of the message).

Moonlght

Postby Moonlght » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 am

Feedback for 3.32.0.219

Win 10 Pro x64 OS Build 17763.55

Installed 3.32.0.219 on top of 3.31.0.218 and it's all working :

ECC default
choice of exit nodes available
no error messages

On a side note (minor), getting the message do I wish to set the DNS to 1.1.1.1 always come up even though it's already set to that (checked it again just after appearance of the message).

Topic Author
df
Site Admin

Postby df » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:01 am

@Moonlght
v3.32 should fix a DNS issue that happened whenever people had several network adapters with ambiguous names, or more than one TAP adapter, or a oddly named TAP adapter.

It's possible that one of the last versions permanently changed your DNS settings even when the widget is closed, which might be the cause of that 1.1.1.1 message.
I'd recommend making sure your DNS settings for your main network adapter are set to whatever they should be.
See http://solverbase.com/w/Windows_10:_Cha ... NS_Servers for instructions, just replace Google's 8.8.8.8 in their example with "Obtain DNS server address automatically" or whatever static IP you normally use for your non-VPN DNS.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:09 am

@DF

1. ipconfig /flushdns

2. Followed all your instructions and still getting the error message.

Have another machine (same win 10 build initially) and no error message.

As I can connect, I won't take your time any further, I will look into it when I'll rebuild it i.e. clean install of win 10.

Thank you for your time! :thumbup: :)

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 am

I still get blocking of outside dns even after unticking the relevant option and adding it to custom.conf. How to remove this option?

Also the dns proxy is clashing with dns crypt. The widget turns dns crypt off now after a warning.

I disappear for a month and everything is changed! Wow.

Return to “cryptostorm in-depth: announcements, how it works, what it is”