Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ
Ξ We've updated our CA certificate. All members need to be using the latest ones by Dec 22. See this page for more infoΞ

HOWTO: Mac/OSX connects via Viscosity

Guides, HOWTOs etc on how to setup Cryptostorm on PCs, smartphones, tablets and routers.

Topic Author

HOWTO: Mac/OSX connects via Viscosity

Postby cryptostorm_support » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:59 am

Like some of our other tutorials, we've begun trying to update some of our older guides to make them as simple and visual as we can. Not everyone is a techno-wizard - nor should that be expected - so we can't take for granted glossing over of (potentially important) details and leaving whole swaths of people in the dark to fend for themselves. This updated guide is intended to fill some of those existing information gaps, but we also would like to thank everyone who contributed to the old viscosity guide to make it what it was. Your collective help was tremendous and is still greatly appreciated :D

Viscosity connection tutorial

For OS X, there are a few options as far as getting an openVPN connection up and running, but two of the most popular seem to be Viscosity and Tunnelblick. Tunnelblick remains my personal favorite way of connecting on OS X, but Viscosity is absolutely a perfectly viable client, and is arguably a bit easier to get set up.

Enough preamble; Let's get started :)

1) First you need to download and install Viscosity, which can be obtained from sparklabs' site

2) The next step is to install the configuration files used by viscosity to connect to cryptostorm.
    a. Download any of the configuration files under the heading "Mac/OSX optimised" from here but for the purposes of this tutorial we will be using cstorm_mac_dynamic_1-4
    b. After installing Viscosity, it will likely associate itself with .ovpn and .conf files, so all that should be required is to download the configuration file you want, and then double-click it. If it is successfully inported you should see the following message box
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 12.43.53 AM.png

i. If you do not see that message box, you can also import the configuration files into viscosity by finding the downloaded configuration on your machine, right-click on it, highlight "Open With" by hovering your mouse over it, and then choose "Other...". In the window that appears, select Viscosity.app in the list of applications and then push the "Open" button in the bottom-right corner of this window.

3) Now, we're almost ready to connect.

a. At this point it is assumed you have obtained a token from our lovely support staff, so we have to “Hash” it before we can use it with Viscosity
    b. To do this we need to use our handy-dandy hash creator at https://cryptostorm.is/sha512.html
    c. You need to paste your token in the field that says “Your token…”, but clear that text field COMPLETELY before doing so. Clicking “Calculate!” will give you your hashed token in the “Hash:” field that we will use to actually connect.
      i. It’s a pretty long combination of letters and numbers, so the best thing to do is use your computer to copy it. Highlight the entire length of characters and right-click on it and choose Copy.
    d. When you installed Viscosity, it created an icon on your taskbar at the top of your screen that looks like this:
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 1.03.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 1.03.17 AM.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 16321 times

e. Click once on the above icon and you will see a number of entries similarly named to the configuration we just installed. The reason for this is that viscosity does not support remote-random, so instead of randomly choosing one of the available resolvers at connection time, it created separate entries in your connection list. Simply select any of the available entries listed to connect.
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 12.44.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 12.44.23 AM.png (40.94 KiB) Viewed 16321 times

f. You’ll now be asked for your cryptostorm username and password
      i. Your username is the hashed token we created earlier, so right-click in the username field and choose “Paste”
      ii. Your password can be anything, but cannot be left blank.
      iii. Check the box beside “Remember details in my Keychain” to ensure that you won’t have to enter your password again for this specific condiguration entry
      j. While connecting, the icon in the taskbar will begin to spin, and will turn a solid darker color when it is successful:
      Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 1.20.16 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 1.20.16 AM.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 16321 times

k. To disconnect from viscosity, single-click on its icon and choose the currently connected connection entry, which has now changed to "Disconnect..." as in the image below
      Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 1.20.30 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 1.20.30 AM.png (39.95 KiB) Viewed 16321 times

That should be it! If you have any further questions or issues, don’t hesitate to leave a note here or contact us through our support channel at support@cryptostorm.is
cryptostorm_support shared support team forum account
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES with support questions!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

Re: HOWTO: Mac/OSX connects via Viscosity

Postby sysfu » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 am

Installed Viscosity 1.6.2 on Mac OS X 10.11.4, imported the configuration file cstorm_linux-dynamic_udp.ovpn and tried to fire up a connection but got stopped cold with this error

Mar 25 14:16:17: Options error: --txqueuelen not supported on this OS

Can someone please either update the 'linux' config, re-create the Mac configs, or update the docs to address this issue?

Postby hashtable » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:56 pm

The latest version of the configs works fine. It doesn't have the -txqueuelen line so you only need to comment out the ca ca.crt right above the <ca></ca> block. With your current version you'll need to delete the -txquelen but the latest version of the configs works fine - even on ios. if i I can find it i'll link my ios config later.

Postby prospav » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:08 am

Hi sysfu,
The latest linux config updated 2 days ago https://github.com/cryptostorm/cryptost ... c_udp.ovpn
does have 3 extra lines in code as opposed to the country specific ones:
#txqueuelen 686
sndbuf size 1655368
rcvbuf size 1655368
I removed them in my downloaded file and it works as required.
Personally I use country specific files and have had nil problems, V 1.6.2, OS X 10.11.4, without having to comment any lines out. For IOS, mods are needed, you can find those here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6256

Postby tali » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:20 am

I am following this tutorial and am still unable to connect to my VPN. The description above does not match experience of what goes down - when I install the .ovpn file and try to connect, I get immediately disconnected before I am ever able to enter my token. Also, when I open up the settings for the connection, I am prompted to enter an "address"?

Any ideas as to what may be going on here? I got in touch with support but they are now conveniently ignoring me.

BTW -- i am not able to connect via Tunnelblick either. It won't let me import the .ovpn file and instructs me to check the machine log, which is way above my pay grade...

Postby grvsd » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:07 pm

hi there !

It might help to work with .tblk files for Tunnelblick.

You could start with setting up a 'Cryptofree.tblk' profile.

Put the same contents from the .conf/ .ovpn file(s) along with the ca.crt file in the same folder
--> perhaps rename it to the way you intend for it to be shown within Tunnelblick.

Next rename the directory to 'Cryptofree.tblk' and proceed to let it be named with the .tblk extension.

If you are setting up the Balancer.ovpn profiles , repeat as above, similar steps but ofc to rename folder to
"<name of choice>.tblk"

Drag-and-drop or double-click the .tblk you have created.
If all goes well (ie no errors in configs) you will have a new profile.

Return to “guides, HOWTOs & tutorials”