Viscosity connection tutorial
For OS X, there are a few options as far as getting an openVPN connection up and running, but two of the most popular seem to be Viscosity and Tunnelblick. Tunnelblick remains my personal favorite way of connecting on OS X, but Viscosity is absolutely a perfectly viable client, and is arguably a bit easier to get set up.
Enough preamble; Let's get started
1) First you need to download and install Viscosity, which can be obtained from sparklabs' site
2) The next step is to install the configuration files used by viscosity to connect to cryptostorm.
- a. Download any of the configuration files under the heading "Mac/OSX optimised" from here but for the purposes of this tutorial we will be using cstorm_mac_dynamic_1-4
b. After installing Viscosity, it will likely associate itself with .ovpn and .conf files, so all that should be required is to download the configuration file you want, and then double-click it. If it is successfully inported you should see the following message box
- i. If you do not see that message box, you can also import the configuration files into viscosity by finding the downloaded configuration on your machine, right-click on it, highlight "Open With" by hovering your mouse over it, and then choose "Other...". In the window that appears, select Viscosity.app in the list of applications and then push the "Open" button in the bottom-right corner of this window.
3) Now, we're almost ready to connect.
- a. At this point it is assumed you have obtained a token from our lovely support staff, so we have to “Hash” it before we can use it with Viscosity
b. To do this we need to use our handy-dandy hash creator at https://cryptostorm.is/sha512.html
c. You need to paste your token in the field that says “Your token…”, but clear that text field COMPLETELY before doing so. Clicking “Calculate!” will give you your hashed token in the “Hash:” field that we will use to actually connect.
- i. It’s a pretty long combination of letters and numbers, so the best thing to do is use your computer to copy it. Highlight the entire length of characters and right-click on it and choose Copy.
- i. Your username is the hashed token we created earlier, so right-click in the username field and choose “Paste”
ii. Your password can be anything, but cannot be left blank.
iii. Check the box beside “Remember details in my Keychain” to ensure that you won’t have to enter your password again for this specific condiguration entry
j. While connecting, the icon in the taskbar will begin to spin, and will turn a solid darker color when it is successful: k. To disconnect from viscosity, single-click on its icon and choose the currently connected connection entry, which has now changed to "Disconnect..." as in the image below