Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ

HOWTO: Linux connections to cryptostorm

Guides, HOWTOs etc on how to setup Cryptostorm on PCs, smartphones, tablets and routers.

Topic Author
cryptostorm_admin
ForumHelper

HOWTO: Linux connections to cryptostorm

Postby cryptostorm_admin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:44 pm

{this post is under active editing and is a "work in progress" ~ feel free to post suggested edits or additions or specific sentences/paragraphs to include, in follow-on posts & we'll import them up into this connection guide ~admin}

This is a newly-created connection guide {direct link: cryptostorm.org/linux} that supersedes the earlier, deprecated version. As several Linux distributions have progressed in supporting full cryptographic suites since cryptostorm's launch, some of the manual package installs required previously are no longer needed. If you want to use one of the GUI "network manager" apps to initiate Linux cryptostorm sessions, please look in this thread, as they're somewhat different than the terminal-based approach detailed here.

The goal of this guide is to step through the basic process of connecting a Linux workstation to cryptostorm. We are using Debian as the example distro here; other distros vary - from a little, to extensively - in some of the mechanics of connecting. Rather than make one thread/connection guide attempting to cover them all, we've forked several particular distros into their own threads. To wit:

~ Mint
~ Manjaro/Arch - known bug: check this thread, if you're using Arch, or you'll be very frustrated
~ Kali
~ OpenSUSE

As posts are made in response to this opening post, we'll bring information "up" and edit this first post to ensure it's got the most current, effective components all right here. That way, you don't have to read the entire thread unless you choose to. As such, this first post is going to start small and grow as feedback and suggestions are incorporated.

Now, let us begin...

There are three steps to a Linux connection to cryptostorm:

1. save your preferred configuration file and hashed token to your local machine;
2. ensure your OpenVPN & OpenSSL libraries are current;
3. launch your cryptostorm session from the terminal.

That's really it. There's a few tweaks and sometimes a required detour or two, depending on distro and other particulars, but the basic steps are not complex.

1. saving your config file & hashing your token

2. bringing OpenVPN & OpenSSL current

3. launching your network session

The syntax for launching the network session from the terminal is as follows:

Code: Select all

$ sudo openvpn --config {path & filename of your config file}

Once this is done, the OpenVPN process will ask for your sudo/root credentials. Next, it will ask for your "username" - this is your hashed token value which will be exactly 128 bytes of alphanumeric text. Beware that if you are hashing the token from the terminal - rather than using our .js-based hashing tool - you must ensure that an EOL character is not imputed in your input. Check this post for details.

Then you will be asked for your "password." We actually do not use password as a parameter in our security model - your hashed token is your unitary authentication identifier - so you can actually put whatever you want in as password (some distros want at least once character, so best not to leave it blank). Once you've entered that arbitrary value, the network connection will initiate.

so... am I successfully connected - or not?

It is counterintuitive, but when your connection is successful the terminal window of your session will show... nothing. It won't change, or print a "connection successful" message, or anything. It will simply sit there, apparently "hung." If there is a problem with the connection such as a failed auth attempt, then the session will abort, but if it's successful it won't.

Minimise that terminal window - don't close it, or you'll abort the session - and open up another terminal window. Type the following into that window:

$ traceroute cryptostorm.is

Watch for the first "hop" in the traceroute results. If it shows an IP address of 10.55.0.1, then you're on cryptostorm's secure network (that's an internally-assigned IP, and will be the same irrespective of your exitnode choice). If it still shows your physical gateway's IP - or anything else - then you are NOT connected! You can of course confirm this using other tools, such as web-based "check my IP" sites and so on. They will all report the same result, pro or con.

If your connection hasn't succeeded, or you are in fact "hung" and unable to send or receive data after connecting, then looking at your error log will be useful in seeking assistance from our support team or other network members in the community here. That logfile is called "devnull.txt," and will be saved into the same directory as your config file. You can change the verbosity of that error log - how much detail it contains - with the "verb" parameter in the config itself (it goes from zero, no detail, to nine - enormous detail). Common issues holding up successful connections include local firewall rules, local routers that refuse to cleanly transmit cryptostorm network sessions, and on rare occasions ISP-based blocking or session-hijacking attempts. Other than that, OpenVPN is very robust & effective on Linux - not much really goes wrong at the basic level.

If your session "drops" mid-stride, cryptostorm's configuration will cause it to immediately attempt to reconnect... and keep attempting to do so in an infinite loop. This will NOT prevent "packet leaks" so don't assume otherwise! It only means you don't have to manually reconnect if your local network is flaky, for example. You won't get dropped if your router (or ISP) flushes/re-leases you a new DHCP address - we've enabled "floating" sessions client-side to avoid this common complaint about poorly-run "VPN services." Leak protection is achieved by application of iptables-based firewall rules, as detailed in this thread.

With your connection compete, there are no other steps required - the session will run in the background, and does not require applications or anything else to be adjusted to use it. Every packet coming and going will be secured via cryptostorm. Members routinely maintain continuous connections for weeks, and sometimes months, at a time.
cryptostorm_admin - a mostly-shared, admin team forum account (sort of a person, but also shared)
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES to this account, as we can't guarantee quick replies!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-NBjJaLNBwWiwZeQF5BMLYqarawbgycwJ
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

Re: HOWTO: Linux connections to cryptostorm

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:44 am

"Leak protection is achieved by application of iptables-based firewall rules, as detailed in this thread."

I don't see them anywhere? kinda important thing to set up.

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Guess he meant forum. Here ya go: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5256
home is where the artillery hits

pinetop

Postby pinetop » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 am

This method works on Fedora 20 3.13.4-200.fc20.x86_64 ... No to trouble shoot why i cant get it to work on the clients wind00z box

sottovoce

Postby sottovoce » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:21 am

I just noticed that when I am using a wi-fi Linux connection, I do not get the first hop as 10.55.0.1. If I use a wired connection, I do all the time. Is there something different going on with wi-fi Linux connection that I do not get the first hop? Thanks.

jlg

Postby jlg » Mon May 05, 2014 2:48 am

This method works well with Ubuntu 14.04. (Command line sudo openvpn --config <config-file>)

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon May 19, 2014 11:09 am

Since the upgrade of connection-manager this morning evering works again importing config files on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and 32bit.
:)

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2014 11:57 pm

There was a known bug in 14.04 connection manager. Seems to be fixed now.

vpnDarknet

Postby vpnDarknet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 am

Does anyone have .conf files available to connect to the post Heartbleed nodes?
Buy your tokens via vpnDark.net and cryptostorm cannot and does not know anything about users - no link between a token & purchase details
Unofficial Wiki cryptostorm access guide
Ways to talk to me

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:46 pm

vpnDarknet wrote:Does anyone have .conf files available to connect to the post Heartbleed nodes?

Hey vpnDarknet. You proved to be a very nice guy so I'm delighted I can return the favor today.
Keep an eye on your Bitmessage inbox as I'll send you my personal configs for all post heartbleed nodes.

vpnDarknet

Postby vpnDarknet » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks for your help and kind words :D
Buy your tokens via vpnDark.net and cryptostorm cannot and does not know anything about users - no link between a token & purchase details
Ways to talk to me

njaard

No need to compile openvpn on Debian

Postby njaard » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:36 am

You do not need to compile your own openvpn on Debian, because it's available from the backports repository. If you use Debian on a desktop machine, I highly recommend backports:

Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

Then install the updated vpn:

apt-get update ; apt-get install -t wheezy-backports openvpn

sottovoce

Postby sottovoce » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:22 am

In the windows widget there is a connection called "chili". How can we get the chili route into a conf. file for Linux so we can use it in openvpn. Thanks.

vpnDarknet

Postby vpnDarknet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:27 am

No chilli, but there is emerald: United Status:emerald:raw:23.19.35.14

https://cryptostorm.nu/nodelist.txt
Ways to talk to me

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:05 pm

vpnDarknet wrote:No chilli, but there is emerald: United Status:emerald:raw:23.19.35.14

https://cryptostorm.nu/nodelist.txt

How come I can still connect to 199.115.119.135, which is Chili?

EDIT: Don't mind me... THIS IS A LINUX THREAD! :oops:

throwaway

Postby throwaway » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:48 pm

@njaard , this worked and is confirmed working for parrot OS.

Thank you.

privangle

Postby privangle » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:57 am

Hi,

perhaps a stupid question: how to end up the connection properly ?

Until now I only typed <ctrl> c which cuts the connection. But is that ok? Is it ending the openvpn process properly, or is it a kill ?

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:47 am

privangle wrote:Hi,

perhaps a stupid question: how to end up the connection properly ?

Until now I only typed <ctrl> c which cuts the connection. But is that ok? Is it ending the openvpn process properly, or is it a kill ?

Normally you should tell him why you're killing it :-D

Just do "sudo killall openvpn" or to be more friendly to it:

Determine the virtual interface with ifconfig, them "sudo ifconfig VIRTUAL_INTERFACE_HERE down"

:-D

johnsmith

Postby johnsmith » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:55 pm

When I try to connect to cryptofree over my Raspberry Pi I get the following log output in the devnull.txt.

Sat Feb 28 14:53:52 2015 NOTE: OpenVPN 2.1 requires '--script-security 2' or higher to call user-defined scripts or executables
Sat Feb 28 14:53:52 2015 Problem with cipher list: TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA: error:1410D0B9:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list:no cipher match

The version of OpenVPN I am using is "OpenVPN 2.2.1 arm-linux-gnueabihf". Can someone help me?

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 pm

johnsmith wrote:When I try to connect to cryptofree over my Raspberry Pi I get the following log output in the devnull.txt.

Sat Feb 28 14:53:52 2015 NOTE: OpenVPN 2.1 requires '--script-security 2' or higher to call user-defined scripts or executables
Sat Feb 28 14:53:52 2015 Problem with cipher list: TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA: error:1410D0B9:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list:no cipher match

The version of OpenVPN I am using is "OpenVPN 2.2.1 arm-linux-gnueabihf". Can someone help me?

It will not work with your current version of OpenVPN, you need to update to OpenVPN 2.3.6 and OpenSSL 1.0.2.

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sour ... loads.html
https://www.openssl.org/source/

What is your distro? Rasbian?

johnsmith-guest

Postby johnsmith-guest » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:56 pm

Yes, it is Raspbian.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Hello everyone,
so let me get this right. At the moment it is not possible to run the raspberry openvpn with cryptostorm right ?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:32 pm

It is possible, but you have to compile and install the newest version of OpenVPN on your Raspberry Pi.
Then everything is working, a new openSSL version is not required :-)

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Of course it's possible you would only need to compile the new version of OpenVPN, I have it running in Rpi2 connected to Frankfurt 24/7 and serving as a hotspot

questie

Postby questie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Is this ok?

.....30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 10.44.0.1 (10.44.0.1) ....

It's 10.44.0.1 not 10.55.0.1

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:40 pm

questie,

depends on exit node, flavour ...

/Fermi

SimpleNinja

Postby SimpleNinja » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Thank you for the great tutorial!
When I do it this is the error I get in devnull.txt which seems to be the error log of openvpn

"Tue Jun 21 17:16:10 2016 NOTE: OpenVPN 2.1 requires '--script-security 2' or higher to call user-defined scripts or executables
Tue Jun 21 17:16:10 2016 Problem with cipher list: TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA: error:1410D0B9:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list:no cipher match
"

so how to install those ciphers?

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:15 am

@SimpleNinja

You need an updated OpenVPN, 2.3.x or higher. It wouldn't hurt to update your OpenSSL while you're at it. :)

GG82

Postby GG82 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Thank you for the tutorial this works on my Pi. Using this tutorial I opened up a terminal on my PC but as per the instructions the terminal has to remain open for it to keep running. Is there a way for this to start automatically when the Pi reboots? I don not have a GUI for the OS to set it using network manager.

I'm a bit of a beginner so if a script is suggested could you please provided a copy of it.

Thanks in advance.

sm1th

Postby sm1th » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 pm

@GG82
Just put your config file, after changing it's extension from .ovpn to .conf, in /etc/openvpn

No script needed, just use the 'mv' command to move and rename...assuming your pwd is where the cryptostorm***.ovpn you want to use is located, the command will be as follows -

sudo mv [filename.ovpn] /etc/openvpn/[filename.conf]

You can have more than one in there and they'll all start once you've logged in.

Edit.
I'd also recommend looking into a wonderful program called 'screen'. Greedy programs hogging your cli will no longer be an issue.

GG82.

Postby GG82. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Thank you for your response.

I found another tutorial that directs you to amend the *.conf file "auth-user- pass" to point to a file called password. This file should contain the hashed token and the password below it.

Can you please confirm this is correct and if so can the file that contains the hashed token be any file i.e. password.txt?

Thanks in advance

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:13 pm

@GG82.

That's correct, replacing "auth-user-pass" in your config with "auth-user-pass whatever" will stop openvpn from prompting you for the user/pass and instead look in the file 'whatever'. It can be named anything, so long as you set the filename in the auth-user-pass line.

sm1th

Postby sm1th » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Yeah, should have mentioned that...

Also, @GG82 , if you're adverse to apparently scary warning messages in your logs such as "WARNING: file '[whatever]' is group or others accessible", change the permissions on that password file as below.

sudo chmod 700 [whatever]

dreab_kcalb

Postby dreab_kcalb » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 am

replacing "auth-user-pass" in your config with "auth-user-pass whatever" will stop openvpn from prompting you for the user/pass and instead look in the file 'whatever'. It can be named anything, so long as you set the filename in the auth-user-pass line.

Can someone please explain to me how to do this? I have created a file with my hashed token but I am new to both linux and VPN.

amnesia

Postby amnesia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:04 am

Cryptostorm sucks. Where's the step by step procedure to set up on linux?

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:58 am

@amnesia
I just updated the original post with the correct links.
Short version is: download the linux configs from https://github.com/cryptostorm/cryptost ... ster/linux
then load them into Network Manager or run them from the terminal with `openvpn --config`.

P.S.
On some debian-based distros NM doesn't support the loading of OpenVPN, so you would need to do either `sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn` or `sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome`, followed by logging out then back in.
There's also information on the above GitHub page for disabling IPv6 and preventing DNS leaks as needed on some debian-based systems.

P.P.S
we don't suck you suck :P

dreab_kcalb

Postby dreab_kcalb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Could you please answer my question ? I have successfully installed this on my raspberry pi but would like the vpn to restart upon reboot

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:50 pm

amnesia wrote:Cryptostorm sucks. Where's the step by step procedure to set up on linux?

"Linux" and "step by step procedure" in the same sentence? Really? :P

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:46 pm

@dreab_kcalb
Google "openvpn raspberry pi vpn start on boot", there's plenty of pages out there with step-by-step instructions, such as https://dotslashnotes.wordpress.com/201 ... -pi-linux/

dreab_kcalb

Postby dreab_kcalb » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks, I was incorrectly thinking that this was different because of the token.

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:43 am

@dreab_kcalb
It's the same as https://dotslashnotes.wordpress.com/201 ... pberry-pi/ (obviously, you would download our configs from https://github.com/cryptostorm/cryptost ... master.zip instead of using the PIA link on that page).
In that tutorial, you would replace 'username' with the SHA512 hash of your token, and 'password' can be anything.

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:10 am

df wrote:@dreab_kcalb
In that tutorial, you would replace 'username' with the SHA512 hash of your token, and 'password' can be anything.

...but must be something.

kjlashdlkjsadhkas

Postby kjlashdlkjsadhkas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Why do you need to use a value for the password? I've tried connecting without specifying one and it has been fine.

Also, are there any instructions anywhere on how we can setup openvpn to connect on startup?

I'm not sure if the example config files are openvpn compatible but have gone on that assumption and moved my config file to `/etc/openvpn/cryptostorm.conf` for example.

Then set `/etc/default/openvpn` to `AUTOSTART=cryptostorm`.

I'm assuming that I still need to specify my sha512 token somewhere. Where? Anything else I'm missing?

roczbairwpnuqtux

Postby roczbairwpnuqtux » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:46 am

parityboy wrote:
df wrote:@dreab_kcalb

...but must be something.

Why must it be something? I was able to connect without a password specified.

Khariz

Postby Khariz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:41 am

Interesting. It's not supposed to authenticate unless there is at least one character in the password field. maybe that's an OS specific issue. It doesn't work in my windows environment unless I type at least one character.

privangle

Postby privangle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get work the connections in a terminal (linux).
Some months ago (4 or 6?) they worked fine with openvpn --config accessfile (being superuser).

When it worked, I was using config-files like that:
http://pastebin.com/raw/azHutn4G (some old format?)

Today I tried it again and it doesen't work any more.

So I took a recent file, same country : http://pastebin.com/raw/Bc2n4hAv

and added a username-password file beside auth-user-pass:
auth-user-pass userpasswd.txt
(1st line hashed token, 2nd line something, as it has to be)

I get a successful message in the terminal: "Initialization Sequence Completed"
but my webbrowser behaves like being offline, no url is working.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you.

whonix user

Postby whonix user » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm

this method doesnt work on whonix

any help?

Return to “guides, HOWTOs & tutorials”