Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

HOWTO: Ubuntu Network Manager plug-in

Guides, HOWTOs etc on how to setup Cryptostorm on PCs, smartphones, tablets and routers.

Topic Author
DesuStrike
ForumHelper

HOWTO: Ubuntu Network Manager plug-in

Postby DesuStrike » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:31 pm

! Message from: DesuStrike
I hereby invite the community helpers and staff to keep these reference charts and howtos up2date together with me.

Yet I ask for respecting two things:
1. Don't change the overall layout and/or style of my lists/posts
2. Don't change/remove my personal choice of words like "United States of NSA" or "Mother Russia"

Thanks and keep on being the most awesome people on the internets!

{edited to include a bit of formatting and so on, for ease of reading ~admin}

This is a small HOWTO for using the Ubuntu Network Manager (Ubuntu 13.10 only until the team finds a way to provide openVPN 2.3.2 for Ubuntu 13.04 and lower)

This guide has no pictures because I am very busy and I have to write this guide in a very small time frame. Sorry. Maybe I do a pictured guide some day.

1. Open up the terminal and type "sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome" (without the quotemarks, just the words), and answer the question that is asked by the terminal once this command has run with "Y"

2. Type into the terminal window: "service network-manager restart"

3. Close the terminal and click on the network manager on the upper right part of your screen

4. Edit Connections --> Add --> Import saved VPN configuration

5. Select the cryptostorm.conf provided by the team

6. A window pops up. Change the authentication method to "password" and enter your credentials - which are your hashed token which goes in the "username" field, & the standard/vestigial cryptostorm password which is always 93b66e7059176bbfa418061c5cba87dd

7. Download this Certificate file:
    ca2.crt
    (1.79 KiB) Downloaded 2924 times
    [EDIT: Updated .crt to reflect post-hearbleed cert.
    -cryptostorm_support
    ]

8. Click on CA Certificate in the network manager, and choose the downloaded CA file.

9. Hit SAVE.

DONE!

Little extra:

If you want to start up your VPN every time you connect to the internet (recommended!) you can do this:

1. Open the network manager

2. Choose Edit Connections

3. Choose the Connection you usually use to connect to the internet (which is usually some WIFI or Ethernet)

4. Edit

5. Go to the GENERAL tab and check the box for "Automatically connect to VPN when using this connection," and choose from the pull-down menu your just-created VPN profile

6. Click on SAVE
home is where the artillery hits

cryptostorm_team
ForumHelper

Re: HOWTO: cryptostorm network connections from Linux

Postby cryptostorm_team » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 am

This is excellent, and really useful as we work through that odd out-of-date repository issue.

We've taken the liberty of sharing it via our main twitter feed, as well.

Cheers,

~ cryptostorm_team
cryptostorm_team - a shared, team-wide forum account (not a person)
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES to this account, as we can't guarantee quick replies!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

nageol

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu Network Manager plug-in

Postby nageol » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:14 am

I have ran all termainal commands correctly,

Everything seems a go, but i cannot save for some reason. Any suggestions?

Thnaks

Nageol

Topic Author
DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:09 pm

nageol wrote:I have ran all termainal commands correctly,

Everything seems a go, but i cannot save for some reason. Any suggestions?

Well the terminal commands are just there to add the openVPN capabilities into Network-Manager. Those have no influence on the client configuration itself.

Not being able to save usually means that you missed one or more options that need to be entered. Double check on the CA cert and the credentials.

Making a screenshot of your settings would help, too. But don't forget to censor your hash.

Jarmer

Postby Jarmer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:06 am

Hi, I'm having some troubles with my Debian install. I wanted to do the gui way instead of the terminal cli way, so I gave this a try, and I'm getting the error "invalid vpn secrets" after completing all the above steps. I know I have the right open vpn network manager package installed, and I imported the conf and the ca and used my token from the email as username, and the password from above. It tries for a second or two to connect and then gives me that failure message. I disconnected and reconnected from my connection and restarted the network manager service, and still get the same.

Any ideas for help?

Thanks very much.

edit: this may have to do with my openvpn itself version. My package manager is only pulling 2.2.1 as the most recent version, and when I tried to add the repo from the other howto post for linux I got 404 errors, so I'm not sure what source I'm supposed to use to get the newest version. Searching now...

edit2: it was indeed the openvpn engine version. I couldn't get the repo's to work, even from the other linux post in this forum, so I went searching. The following link worked:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... twareRepos
after running those commands, I opened up the package manager in debian and reloaded the sources, and BAM 2.3.1 was listed as an update. Used to list 2.2.1. Updated, restarted the network manager service, deleted my old config just to be safe, recreated it, and it worked first time. Hope this may help someone else in the same situation. No idea why the official repo's are so out of date.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi guys,
I could once move data via the VPN, but no longer, although I can connect.

I've checked to see that all of my software is up to date, inc Network Manager and OpenVPN, all looks good.

I can connect to a VPN, I've tried all 4 configertaion files from here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5996

I'm just not getting any data.

The same credentials work on my Android phone, and they once did on this Ubuntu 13.10 AMD 64 box.

I've reset all firewall setings and IP tables, still no luck.

Cheers, any ideas appreciated :)

cryptostorm_support
ForumHelper

Postby cryptostorm_support » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Guest wrote:I can connect to a VPN, I've tried all 4 configertaion files from here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5996

I'm just not getting any data.

Apologies for the hassle!

There is a bugfix for this issue - which relates to an snag in how the Network Manager handles certain combinations of --fragment & --mtu parameters in combination - that has been released as the 1.3 connection framework.

The 1.3 version is currently rolled out only on the Icelandic exitnode cluster (per link above), and is in process of being striped across all the clusters today and tomorrow. As that happens, the client configs posted at conf.cryptostorm.org will be updated, one by one, to the 1.3 versions. Right now, only Iceland (down at the bottom) is actually 1.3 & the rest are 1.2.

We're getting 'em rolled out as quick as we can, without shortcuts or taking risks of errors in deployment.

If you're ok with using the Iceland cluster, then go ahead & grab those 1.3 settings for the Network Manager - they've been tested and thus far received consistent successful reports. If you see any snags, please do let us know... before we roll out throughout the rest of the network. :o

Thanks for your patience - the 1.3 settings should consolidate the "forked" Linux-optimised framework and be a stable foundation on which future network expansion will be build.

Cheers,

~ cryptostorm_support
cryptostorm_support shared support team forum account
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES with support questions!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks for the link and the file :D
Although it's timing out on me before in can connect, I'll continue to play and see if I can find a fix

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am

Still no luck with the Iceland exit node timing out, but the Frankfurt one connects :clap:
Nice work guys!

Cilline

Postby Cilline » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi guys, unfortunately there is no option 'import saved config file' in network manager in Debian 7.4. Would you mind posting an howto install for debian (in network manager of course). Thanx.

Topic Author
DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:54 pm

afaik debian uses the same network manager like ubuntu so the steps shouldn't vary from what I posted.

What may vary is the window manager you use. Are you using GNOME or something based on that? If not, the package "network-manager-openvpn-gnome" might not be the right one for you. Afaik there are packages for all kinds of window managers, so just try to replace this last part with the window manager you use.

Also try a reboot. Restarting network manager should be enough but nothing replaces a good ol' reboot.

pinetop

Postby pinetop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 am

This method Also works for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

exempt

Postby exempt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:48 am

pinetop wrote:This method Also works for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Indeed same method works on Elementary OS which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Just skip step 2, everything else is the same.

:D

Distributor ID: elementary OS
Description: elementary OS Luna
Release: 0.2
Codename: luna

Linux 3.5.0-18-generic x86_64
elementaryos-stable-amd64.20130810.iso

Jarmer

Postby Jarmer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me out here. I'm on Debian wheezy, and in the past with .9 confs I was able to connect, now I'm trying to use the 1.3 confs, and I'm getting the old error I used to get once again, argh.

I've done the exact steps listed to connect, hashed my token, etc... and when I attempt to connect I get an error message that says the connection failed due to "invalid VPN secrets"

In synaptic it lists my openvpn version as 2.3.2-debian0
I also have quite a few network manager versions installed, not sure if this could be the issue? In synaptic I have the following network managers:

network-manager 0.9.4.0-10
network-manager-gnome 0.9.4.1-5
network-manager-openvpn 0.9.4.0-1
network-manager-openvpn-gnome 0.9.4.0-1

Should I remove the two gnome verisons of the network manager since I'm not even running gnome on this debian install?

Or any other ideas on how to fix the "invalid secrets" error?

Thanks.

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Jarmer wrote:Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me out here. I'm on Debian wheezy, and in the past with .9 confs I was able to connect, now I'm trying to use the 1.3 confs, and I'm getting the old error I used to get once again, argh.

Should I remove the two gnome verisons of the network manager since I'm not even running gnome on this debian install?

Or any other ideas on how to fix the "invalid secrets" error?

Thanks.

Can you show me the error?

Jarmer

Postby Jarmer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:47 pm

Here's a screenshot that includes the error notification in the top right of the screen. Not sure why the notification goes off the side of the monitor, I can't seem to move it, but anyway, you can see it lists the error about vpn secrets.

Thanks for taking a look at this for me.
Attachments
vpnerrorscreen.png

exempt

Postby exempt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:25 am

Jarmer wrote:Here's a screenshot that includes the error notification in the top right of the screen. Not sure why the notification goes off the side of the monitor, I can't seem to move it, but anyway, you can see it lists the error about vpn secrets.

Thanks for taking a look at this for me.

Sometimes unchecking Available to all users in the VPN settings works

The old configs still work. Have you tried cryptostorm_client_production 0-9b https://cryptostorm.org/download/file.php?id=388
Here is another config that should work from the new exit node cluster cryptostorm_client_raw-UnsAE1_3.conf download/file.php?id=674

Jarmer

Postby Jarmer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:43 pm

That did it!!! Such a weird ass solution, haha. Successfully running the iceland node right now!

I think it would definitely help for other debian folks to post a specific thread for debian. There's some weirdness about updating the repos, openvpn version, then using this network manager, etc... that I had to figure out myself through trying lots of stuff. It might help out new users on Debian to skip all the searching around and confusion if there's some notes and help for them. You all want to create it, or I can if you don't want to. Just wanted to give the mods/admin the option.

Thanks again exempt for the weird fix!

exempt

Postby exempt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 am

Jarmer wrote:That did it!!! Such a weird ass solution, haha. Successfully running the iceland node right now!

I think it would definitely help for other debian folks to post a specific thread for debian. There's some weirdness about updating the repos, openvpn version, then using this network manager, etc... that I had to figure out myself through trying lots of stuff. It might help out new users on Debian to skip all the searching around and confusion if there's some notes and help for them. You all want to create it, or I can if you don't want to. Just wanted to give the mods/admin the option.

Thanks again exempt for the weird fix!

You're welcome!

:lol: I know right, definitely an odd solution, I just vaguely remember it working for one of my friends--don't remember the technical explanation for why--glad it worked though.

I'm not too familiar with debian wheezy, but if you have the time and think it will help, you should make a debian thread with a short guide to help the debian folks out a little.

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:40 am

Hello everyone,

There is apparently a problem with Ubuntu 14.04 and network-manager-gnome. Everything was working great (with cryptocloud on 12.04 / cryptostorm on 13.04 and on 13.10) Since the upgrade last thursday, everytime and try to import an openvpn conf file the manager crash. I'm still looking on a solution. Does some of you have the same issue ?

Thanks in advance

ubuntu trusty

Postby ubuntu trusty » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:15 am

confirmed bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1294899

really annoying, especially since i just did a fresh 14.04 install and will be going to china next week, perfect.

CS team, any workarounds and does CS work in china?

exempt

Postby exempt » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:47 am

Network Manager VPN is working on ElementaryOS freya beta-1 which is based on Ubuntu 14.04

Instead of using the panel menus, I went through Network Connections in System Settings and the import worked just fine.

orlets

Postby orlets » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:57 am

This is a short written ( no pictures ) guide for setting up the Ubuntu Network Manager for Ubuntu 14.04. This generally should work for all Ubuntu based distros but is specific for Ubuntu 14.04.

1. Open a terminal and type: "sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome" ( without the quotes ) and enter. Answer "y" to the question present in the terminal. See this page for reference https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager.

2. You may wish to restart your manager by typing in the terminal "service manager-network restart" ( without the quotes ) or you may wish to log out and log back in. Close or minimize the terminal.

3. Select and download to a safe place ( usually your Home folder ) one of the Cryptostorm client config files at https://cryptostorm.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5996

4. Open the config file with a text editor ( e.g. gedit ) and scroll to the ca.crt. Copy and paste from <ca> to <ca> and save as a text file using a text editor ( e.g. gedit ). Name it your certificate.crt file.

5. Take your token and hash it at https://cryptostorm.is/sha512.html or use some other suitable method to hash it. Safely save both your token and your hashed token.

6. Click on the network manager icon in the upper right hand part of the screen. Go to Edit connections then add, use the drop down menu to choose Import a saved VPN configuration. Click create and select the Cryptostorm config file that you saved. At the window, change the authentication method to "password" and enter your credentials-your hashed token goes into the "username" and the Cryptostorm password can be anything or you can use: 93b66e7059176bbfa418061c5cba87dd ( a vestigial password-a password is not really necessary ). Do not leave the password blank as this can throw out an error.

7. Click on the CA certificate and download the certificate you copy and pasted earlier.

8. Click save

This should complete it and you should be able to connect to VPN. If you wish to automatically connect to the internet with VPN you can do this:

1. Click on network manager then edit connection and choose connection for your primary connection method. Click edit then general tab and check "Automatically connect to VPN when using this connection" then choose the VPN profile you want and click save.

post note: I wish to give DesuStrike credit for creating the Ubuntu template to which I modified for Ubuntu 14.04. Thanks!

justincase

Postby justincase » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey all, this is my first post here.. I've got a token and trying to set this up on Elementary OS (Ubuntu based distro) and got stuck on step 5 where it ask me to "Select the cryptostorm.conf provided by the team".

When I click "Add" and choose "Import a saved VPN connection" and then find and choose the preferred .conf file, I get this popup saying:

===
"CAnnot import VPN connection"

The file 'cryptostorm_client_raw-iceland1_3.conf' could not be read or does not contain recognized VPN connection information

Error: unknown error.
===

I have no idea what this is and what to do next, so maybe someone can please help me out with this?

The distro itself is up to date, everything working good etc.. no issues with anything, just this. I've been using another VPN so networking etc is working just fine.. wonder if it's something with the .conf file itself? I've tried a few different ones, but getting that same error popup, so..

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks very much!

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:30 pm

@justincase

If you can edit the .conf file with a text editor, try removing all but one of the "remote" entries. Some network manager widgets have issues with multiple remote entries.

justincase

Postby justincase » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:01 am

Hey @parityboy

Thanks very much for your suggestion, have just tried it, removed 3 and just left one, but it doesn't work.. getting that same error again. I guess it doesn't matter which one I leave in there as long as one is there, correct?

What else could be wrong, anyone else experienced this?

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 am

justincase,

please execute the following:
sudo apt-get update&&sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome

and try again please.

/Fermi

justincase

Postby justincase » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:25 am

@Fermi just did it and it's not working, still the same exact f#$%#$ error.

Thanks for helping out though, have no idea what to do.. should I contact support or are the admins reading this?

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:03 pm

@justincase, @parityboy,

Was aware of this bug, but as I'm using 14.04 and the import works flawlessly, I thought, ... .
You can also use the command line to connect: sudo openvpn ... .conf
I don't know the Elementary OS distribution, so it's hard to tell where it goes wrong. Perhaps further reading through the bug report will provide you with some clues.

/Fermi

Topic Author
DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:10 am

! Message from: DesuStrike
I hereby invite the community helpers and staff to keep these reference charts and howtos up2date together with me.

Yet I ask for respecting two things:
1. Don't change the overall layout and/or style of my lists/posts
2. Don't change/remove my personal choice of words like "United States of NSA" or "Mother Russia"

Thanks and keep on being the most awesome people on the internets!

I don't like the GUI solution at all. I used it in the beginning but network-manager really is a show stopper way to often when it comes to openvpn. I recommend using RAW openvpn!

Mini tutorial:

1. Open the config you want to use and look for "auth-user-pass". Modify it to look like this (without quotes): auth-user-pass password

2. create new empty file, name it "password" (without the quotes) and enter your hashed token in the first line and "sdfdfggwearffdsf" (without quotes) in the second line.

3. Now move both files to /etc/openvpn/
(You need to be root or use sudo to do this!)

4. Restart your computer.

5. Ubuntu will now connect to CryptoStorm automatically at every boot. This will happen completely transparent so you won't see any GUI changes. You can verify if VPN works by visiting whoer.net and check on your IP.

Should you lose internet connection for any reason and OpenVPN does not reconnect automatically just enter: sudo service openvpn restart

Hope that helps.
/DesuStrike

Postby guest » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:05 am

I'm using ubuntu 14.04 LTS x64 and have followed the instructions above for the network manager gui. Using the raw locked config file I can connect but I can't access any websites - i.e. it appears I'm not getting any data in or out. When I try to connect using any of the other config files the connection attempt just times out.

I would be grateful for any help! Keep in mind I'm not that linux savvy though :)

justincase

Postby justincase » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Hey @Fermi, thanks for that link, have just read it and yes, it looks like that might be the issue here.

I cannot make this work no matter what I do, tried everything possible.

@DesuStrike

Thanks for your contribution too, much much appreciated. But before trying this, I need to know one thing…

I don’t need to be on VPN 24/7, so can I enable/disable this when I want to?

If not, then this is not of much use to me, so if you could please let me know about this?

I do not want Linux distro to automatically connect to Cryptostorm on every boot, but I want to do it manually when I need it to. Can I do this with the setup you’ve just shown above?

Thanks much!

p.s. Have also tried this on Mac, via Viscosity, but not working there either.. will just ask about that on the appropriate thread..

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:24 pm

@justincase

The alternative, which I have used in the past is to simply run an openvpn instance from a terminal and supply the username and password when it asks you. Do not close the terminal window though because the openvpn process will detach and run in the background; keep the terminal alive and kill openvpn with ctrl-c.

Code: Select all

sudo openvpn --config <config.conf>

justincase

Postby justincase » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:13 pm

@parityboy

Thanks. So you're saying I could just enable/disable via up/down terminal command? If so, then that's an ok solution yes.

Btw, when trying to do this via viscosity on Mac.. it asks me for username and password..

I guess the username is the token provided, yes?

But what is password then, where do I get it? On the MAC/Viscosity thread.. the guide says something like.. choose username and password and Viscosity will take it form there.. ok good, but WHERE do I get the password, I just got a token after paying for this.

Why isn't there a clean instruction guide for this is beyond me tbh.. after paying for this one needs to hunt the instructions all over the forums?! I REALLY want to use this VPN but so far there is no clear instructions, sad. Thanks for your work though, this IS much appreciated, but please guys, manual needs to come with the product. :)

Thanks.

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:57 am

@justincase

So you're saying I could just enable/disable via up/down terminal command? If so, then that's an ok solution yes.

Yup. :)

The default password for CryptoStorm is 93b66e7059176bbfa418061c5cba87dd. For openvpn from the command line, you could put the username and password into a file called auth.txt (or whatever) so that it looks like this:

<token>
93b66e7059176bbfa418061c5cba87dd

Then execute this:

sudo openvpn --config config.conf --auth-user-pass auth.txt

justincase

Postby justincase » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:43 am

@parityboy

Thanks so much for helping out.

I've tried all these suggestions, it doesn't work.

One thing though... I did a brand new eOS (Elementary OS) install and then installed the openvpn manager (which previously didn't work on this distro) and now I could at least get to the popup where I could enter my token, password and the certificate... but then after attempting to conntect, I get these messages:

Either this one: The VPN connection X failed because the connection attempt timed out

or this one: The VPN connection X failed because of invalid vpn secrets

I've setup all VPN conf files and tried them all and none ofthem works, I get these errors above.

Also, have tried the terminal commands, both the raw one and the one with the suggested auth.txt file. Not working, the connection doesn't move a bit, not even a restart/attempt to connect.. just nothing.

Beats me, what else can I do man.. throw myself off the balcony? :D

Thanks for all the help really, hope to get this thing working sometime soon.

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:52 am

@justincase

When you say the terminal command didn't work, what exactly (didn't) happen? In the directory where you started the openvpn process, there should be a file called devnull.txt. Could you post it here so we can review it? Also double check if the auth.txt file needs a carriage return after the last line. :)

@thread

OK, I just tried the very suggestion I gave to justincase and guess what? It doesn't work! The result of

sudo openvpn --config "Cryptostorm (Brisa, pH)_openvpn.conf" --auth-user-pass auth.txt

is

Sun Dec 21 22:57:25 2014 OpenVPN 2.3.2 x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Oct 10 2014
Sun Dec 21 22:57:25 2014 Sorry, 'Auth' password cannot be read from a file
Sun Dec 21 22:57:25 2014 Exiting due to fatal error

This is in the context of the openvpn help menu which states

--auth-user-pass [up] : Authenticate with server using username/password.
up is a file containing username/password on 2 lines,
or omit to prompt from console.

Is this a known bug in 2.3.2, or something else at work?

UPDATE:

OK, so I tested the command line method but supplied the username and password interactively. It works. :)
Last edited by parityboy on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

justincase

Postby justincase » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:09 am

@DesuStrike

I've also tried your suggestion, doesn't work either. After restarting, the vpn does not start at all, just the default wifi connection starts but nothing else besides that. Thanks for help though, I'll get there eventually. :)

DesuStrike wrote:I don't like the GUI solution at all. I used it in the beginning but network-manager really is a show stopper way to often when it comes to openvpn. I recommend using RAW openvpn!

Mini tutorial:

1. Open the config you want to use and look for "auth-user-pass". Modify it to look like this (without quotes): auth-user-pass password

2. create new empty file, name it "password" (without the quotes) and enter your hashed token in the first line and "sdfdfggwearffdsf" (without quotes) in the second line.

3. Now move both files to /etc/openvpn/
(You need to be root or use sudo to do this!)

4. Restart your computer.

5. Ubuntu will now connect to CryptoStorm automatically at every boot. This will happen completely transparent so you won't see any GUI changes. You can verify if VPN works by visiting whoer.net and check on your IP.

Should you lose internet connection for any reason and OpenVPN does not reconnect automatically just enter: sudo service openvpn restart

Hope that helps.
/DesuStrike

justincase

Postby justincase » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:16 am

@parityboy

RE: Terminal thing.. just nothing happened, no sign of anything going on, like a wifi icon is not moving, not indication of even trying to connect to vpn or something, just still.

RE: devnull.txt .. yes, it was created in the home folder. It was locked though so had to go root to open it and copied the entire content to another file and named it a copy_of_devnull.txt - when you say post it here, do you mean as an attachment or to simply paste the entire thing here on the thread as a post?

RE: auth.txt file - ok, will try again with a carriage return and post the results, but need to go off now, very late here.. will get back to this tomorrow first thing ok.

Again, thanks guys so much for your patience and help, thank you!!

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:36 am

@justincase

Try it interactively without the auth.txt file; you should get some output in the very same terminal window. :) If you right click in your terminal window, do you have the usual copy & paste options?

Topic Author
DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:49 am

When using any of the here mentioned terminal connection methods there will be never be any GUI indication for VPN connection whatsoever. You must verify your VPN connection status via whoer.net or similar. Just look if you have a different IP than usually.

Also: If paritoboys or my terminal method does not work there must be a problem because both methods are well tested and in every day use on my system and many others. Did you check if openvpn is installed?

Nightnone

Postby Nightnone » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:37 pm

I tried every single instruction in this thread and still come up with 'invalid vpn secrets' .
Or when using the terminal like "sudo openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/cstorm_linux_uscentral_1-4.conf", I get no feedback from the terminal. No changes in wifi. Nothing. Ubuntu 14.04 32bit here.

There's nothing to do about it, it seems. I just purchased the service. But now I can't even use it ..

Nightbread

Postby Nightbread » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Tried all methods, nothing works on ubuntu 14.04.
Before buying this vpn , I used Frootvpn, that works. an also uses openvpn
These cstorm conf, however, always throw an auth error when using them with the gui.

"failed because of invalid vpn secrets"

yes I tried turning the "anyone can use this connection" checkmark on and off, no results
Tried hashing my token, doesnt do anything.

Terminal Command line nor launch on startup work. Terminal doesnt even give me any errors or plain anything.
the devnull file says

WARNING: file 'password' is group or others accessible
WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED

So now what? Do I ask for a refund or what? I'm running out of options here

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:12 pm

Nightbread,

I'm using 14.04 without any issues, both network manager and terminal.
Are you using the token or the sha512 hash of the token as username?
Otherwise jumping into the IRC channel can also be a big help.

Best regards,

/Fermi

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:04 am

@NightBread

1. Make sure than if/when you use the online hashing tool that you clear the input box before pasting in your token. The hint text does NOT clear itself on mouseclick - it has to be manually deleted.

2. The password in the Network Manager VPN section cannot be blank. uehduohdiohiehfioehf will do.

3. In Network Manager, make sure that the certificate you're using is ca2.crt.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:54 pm

It didn't initially work, I had forgotten about the last digit on Linux IP's changing by 1 or so... I fixed that...
THEN
I manage to connect... but no browsing happens...
I followed this set of instructions - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3978&p=13524#p10347

I am using VirtualBox 4.3.24 and Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

EDIT: I think I got it...
I used a different conf than the one used by the Windows Widget... far out does she fly lol

Radicali

Postby Radicali » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:30 pm

I followed the steps in this guide to the letter, and every thing seems to work. The VPN connects it says; but, I can't get to any sites. I tried traceroute using google.com as well as 74.125.224.72. I can't get to either while connected to the VPN.

Return to “guides, HOWTOs & tutorials”