Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

[ARCHIVE] HOWTO: Mac/OSX connections with Viscosity

Guides, HOWTOs etc on how to setup Cryptostorm on PCs, smartphones, tablets and routers.

Topic Author
DesuStrike
ForumHelper

[ARCHIVE] HOWTO: Mac/OSX connections with Viscosity

Postby DesuStrike » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:41 pm

! Message from: DesuStrike
I hereby invite the community helpers and staff to keep these reference charts and howtos up2date together with me.

Yet I ask for respecting two things:
1. Don't change the overall layout and/or style of my lists/posts
2. Don't change/remove my personal choice of words like "United States of NSA" or "Mother Russia"

Thanks and keep on being the most awesome people on the internets!

For all Windows and MAC users that don't fear proprietary software and have a hard time using the original openVPN client I want to suggest Viscosity.

It is a commercial product that costs 9$ but is dead simple to use. In fact it is so easy that I feel to lazy to write a guide with screenshots. (sorry!)

Just install the software, start it up and click on the PLUS-button on the first screen that pops up. Select the crypotstorm config file provided by Graze, and Viscosity does the rest for you. Fire up the VPN, enter your "credentials" and you are done!

While in theory this might not sound very different from what the original client does, from my experience (especially not so tech savvy) people tend to have way less trouble with Viscosity. I tested it on a Windows PC today and it was very straightforward.

I don't want to advertise this product for any other reason than to provide a possibly more easy alternative.

Please always consider the fact that closed source software is by no means as trustworthy as time-proven open source software and thus might have a negative impact on your privacy and security!

I recommend everyone to try to avoid closed source software and operating systems as much as they can. This is the reason why I don't use Windows anymore. But after all this is just my personal opinion and you might have a different opinion if you use Windows/macOSX.
home is where the artillery hits

prospav

Re: HOWTO: Mac connects | Viscosity

Postby prospav » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Had a chat with SparkLabs developer, James Bekkema.

After looking at Viscosity log for raw-locked1_3 client, this was apparent:
Options error: --txqueuelen not supported on this OS

Under advanced tab in edit mode of imported conf, "txqueuelen 486" was removed from extra OpenVPN commands.

Viscosity now works with client 1_3.

Will test further over weekend.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:00 pm

I can't use cryptostorm. After a few days trying, I just can't. I'm a journalist with a MacOS, and not a computer person, and this is overwhelming to me. I wish there was a widget for MacOS, or any tutorial either for Viscosity or Tunnelblick starting from the very beggining, a complete HOWTO, instead of scattered files and tips in multiple forum posts. :cry: Also, I have Viscosity 1.4.7.

exempt

Postby exempt » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:41 am

Guest wrote:I can't use cryptostorm. After a few days trying, I just can't. I'm a journalist with a MacOS, and not a computer person, and this is overwhelming to me. I wish there was a widget for MacOS, or any tutorial either for Viscosity or Tunnelblick starting from the very beggining, a complete HOWTO, instead of scattered files and tips in multiple forum posts. :cry: Also, I have Viscosity 1.4.7.

Yeah things could be a bit more organized, maybe a support/answers/howto page would make things easier.

-Which OSX are you using Mountain Lion? Mavericks?

-Which config file are you using? For MacOS the config that is guaranteed to work is cryptostorm_client_production 0-9b https://cryptostorm.org/download/file.php?id=388
Can also be found in this post https://cryptostorm.org/viewtopic.php?p=5158#p5158

-Make sure to repair disk permissions in DiskUtility, this sometimes helps (VPN software on MacOS sometimes complains about discrepancies dealing with file/folder permissions)

-Convert token emailed to you into a SHA512 hash here: https://cryptostorm.is/sha512.html
Use this as your username in the Viscosity client and enter anything you want for a password.

-Now try connecting and let us know which errors you are seeing. I use Linux on my Macbook Pro but still have MacOS installed elsewhere. I can install Viscosity and try connecting but usually Viscosity just works--which is the reason for the lack of posts/howtos for Viscocity on MacOS.

p.s.
I would recommend Tunnelblick if you have not already tried it. If you are using OSX Mavericks then you would need to download and use the beta client.
Tunnelblick 3.4beta20 [sourceforge.net] (build 3727) released 2014-01-16

A tutorial which is still applicable for setting it up can be found here:
https://cryptostorm.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4135#p5771
again configuration file 0-9b.conf just works on MacOS so starting with that one is recommended.

cryptostorm_support
ForumHelper

Postby cryptostorm_support » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:27 am

exempt wrote:Yeah things could be a bit more organized, maybe a support/answers/howto page would make things easier.

Agreed. The current situation isn't exactly ideal, but the benefit is that it's easy to engage in conversation and work through issues as a group. Purely to get information out there and posting official tutorials, I really like the wiki idea proposed in another thread
cryptostorm_support shared support team forum account
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES with support questions!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

quell

Re: HOWTO: Mac/OSX connections with Viscosity

Postby quell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:15 am

EDIT: After looking over other posts I saw that the version of Viscosity I had was not auto-updating. I manually forced the update to 1.5.2 and all is well. I've also tested OpenVPN Connect on iOS 8.1 with the draft 1.4 .ovpn file and that is working as well. I'll leave the post up for the sake of the last paragraph.

The new draft 1.4 .ovpn file crashes during installation on Viscosity 1.0, Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite. When you reopen Viscosity after the crash, the profile is there but won't connect. Not sure if some of the optimisation for Tunnelblick killed Viscosity compatibility. I am currently using the 0.9b from a previous thread and was trying to upgrade. Are all the changes since 0.9b performance related, or are there security reasons to upgrade?

As an aside, is anyone else using an iOS 8 device to connect? Are you using the OpenVPN Connect app, and if so is 1.4 compatible with it? If you are using a different method please post.

You guys have an awesome product under the hood, but previous VPNs I've used had step-by-step instructions for each OS in painstaking detail that could be followed by a child. You joke on Twitter about your "marketing," but word of mouth would do all the marketing for you if you made your product more approachable. Take the time to create tutorials for each scenario and link to them from the home page so people don't have to hunt around. You won't regret it. You can't tell people to RTFM if there is no M. :)

nsfw

Postby nsfw » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks for howto. Dead simple to get up and running in ten minutes on a Mac running Yosemite.

I will add that this process did not work seamlessly in the past so those who tried and failed in the past might want to try again.

vegaAa

Postby vegaAa » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:26 am

Hi guys !
Thanx for the HWTO, but still got a problem.

I followed every steps I could find here. (Token>SHA512>Viscosity>config file). I enter my SHA512 as username and custom password. But viscosity tries to connect all the time, without any result.

Am I missing something? What could I do?

Thnx!

Return to “guides, HOWTOs & tutorials”