Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ

cryptofree.me howto Android | cryptofree.me/cfandroid

cryptofree: full-bore cryptostorm protection... for free! Capped to 1 megabit down / 500kb up, it's a great way to use cryptostorm in a pinch. Play nice & be safe, ok?

Topic Author
cryptostorm_team
ForumHelper

cryptofree.me howto Android | cryptofree.me/cfandroid

Postby cryptostorm_team » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 am

{direct link: cfandroid.cryptofree.me}

This is pretty easy...

• Download this file and put it somewhere on yer android device:
    cryptofree_client_android1_4.conf
    (5.26 KiB) Downloaded 1519 times

• Download "OpenVPN for Android" from the Google store for free - This is the best, open-source client for OpenVPN. That Arne Schwabe guy did a great job with this app, and if it works out for you send him some $'s here. Source is here for the paranoid/wise.
  • Run that app!
  • Import the file we just saved on the phone...
    android.png

• Click on the disk icon (bottom right?) to save it
  • Now click on the line it created called "cryptofree_client_android1_4.conf"
  • When it asks for a user/password, type "snowden" "rocks!" (actually it doesn't matter what you type, but type something)
  • Check "remember password" and CONNECT!!

As always, please share any issues!

Thanks!

~cryptostorm_team
cryptostorm_team - a shared, team-wide forum account (not a person)
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES to this account, as we can't guarantee quick replies!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

vpnDarknet

Re: cryptofree.me on Android!

Postby vpnDarknet » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:39 pm

It wouldn't connect for me so I changed the server address to {redacted, to avoid Wrath of Cthulu}

Just playing, it seems pretty good, faster than expected.
Buy your tokens via vpnDark.net and cryptostorm cannot and does not know anything about users - no link between a token & purchase details
Unofficial Wiki cryptostorm access guide
Ways to talk to me

Pattern_Juggled

linux-cryptofree.cryptostorm.net HAF entry = win

Postby Pattern_Juggled » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

vpnDarknet wrote:It wouldn't connect for me so I changed the server address to {redacted}

Acting as the neighbourhood curmudgeon, I do my duty by warning that direct IP-based connections to individual node instances are brittle, in that any problems with that particular instance will result in a hard-fail for the entire session. Such "problems" are routine parts of large-scale production network management and are, as such, not entirely uncommon: instance hits session-count cap and loadbalances to other nodes and/or other instances; instance is down for maintenance or software update, instance is subject to short-term DoS, datacentre in which node resides has a connectivity glitch, etc.

As such, the officially supported - and strongly recommended - "remote" target for cryptofree sessions from Android is:

linux-cryptofree.cryptostorm.net

Additionally, the following four HAF-based redundant TLD remote mappings will also pull from the same pool of deployed cryptofree linux/*nix instances:

linux-cryptofree.cryptostorm.org
    linux-cryptofree.cryptostorm.nu
    linux-cryptofree.cstorm.pw
    linux-cryptofree.cryptokens.ca

These four cryptofree balancers are 100% interchangeable - pick whichever you want. Note that, alas, in the current build of the Android OpenVPN client used in this thread, there is no support for the "--remote-random" conf parameter. A shame, as that's something we use elsewhere within our network architecture to add yet another layer of hostname-lookup resilience in the face of TLD-based cache poisoning, BPG-level, or brute-censorship attacks on specific canonical domains and/or TLDs that serve as part of our session connection framework.

If any of these five HAF resolvers don't return an IP when queried (either manually, or just via inclusion in the "remote" parameter of an Android session connection), that's something the network admin team here would really like to hear about. It could be that there's some system-level problem and we'll be able to squash a bug. It could be transient and will resolve all by itself (DNS, as deployed in the wild, is based substantially on black magic, occult worship, and the blessings of the god of chaos himself: Cthulu). It could be evidence of an organised attack on access to our network, or it could be something specific to your local network/handset/wireless provider environment. In any of these cases (apart from the Cthulu matter), there's benefits to poking at the issue rather than working around it with a hard-coded IP.

Finally, given that cryptofree is definitionally a load-balanced network service, we really need the flexibility at the network level to ensure we can stripe sessions across instances in something resembling a coherent manner; unfortunately, folks hitting specific session IPs prevent us from doing that with their network connection attempts, and that in turn ripples through the fabric of the entire system-level process of keeping resources available for session connections. There's a fascinating mathematical structure that underlies the cryptofree approach to decentralised resource balancing... I'd be happy to go on for much longer describing it, but tl;dr it breaks when people hard-code IPs. So don't - please - if possible.

All that said, we don't block IP-to-instance connections (yes, we could if we wanted to; no, we're not going to) and instead I routinely issue these dire, long-winded, boring warnings as an alternative method of keeping these IP-based profiles reasonably in check. Yes: you're welcome.

As cryptofree has sped thru beta testing into something resembling a production deployment, we've been lax in getting proper documentation out to the membership - we hope folks will continue to help backfill that need via contributions here in the forum, and we appreciate the understanding that our unconventional "build it, deploy it, document it on the fly" methodology here sounds astonishingly dumb... but in this case might be somewhat less dumb given the benefit of having the service accessible even as we smooth out the documentary requirements, collaboratively.

Cheers,

~ pj

Xx

Re: cryptofree.me howto Android | cryptofree.me/cfandroid

Postby Xx » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Doesn't work...

3:32 PM Warning: Error redirecting stdout/stderr to --log file: devnull.txt: Read-only file system (errno=30)
3:32 PM Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /data/user/0/de.blinkt.openvpn/cache/android.conf:40: client-cert-not-required (2.4_master)
3:36 PM Process exited with exit value 1

Xx

Postby Xx » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:58 am

parityboy wrote:@Xx

What OS are you running and how are you invoking the openvpn command?

7.1, using the method in OP exactly.

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:56 am

@Xx

I'm not sure why your OpenVPN client isn't recognising that parameter...I'm running version 0.6.60 of that client on Android 5.1.1, and the OpenVPN version in the logs is OpenVPN 2.4-icsopenvpn, not 2.4-master.

I'm going try to replicate your environment in a VM and report back to you.

Xx

Postby Xx » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:18 pm

I tried the official OpenVPN as well, no luck.

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:57 am

@Xx

In that particular case it's expecting a file called ca.crt in /sdcard/Download, because it's ignoring the in-line certificate data in the configuration file. Check my sig. for the post-Heartbleed certificate (it's in a Zip file), extract it, rename it to ca.crt and copy it to /sdcard/Download. That should fix that particular issue.

nqCX635HEvgW

Postby nqCX635HEvgW » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:41 pm

Has anyone else had issues on Android with hostnames failing to resolve on Arne Schwabe's client, but after connecting/using VPN for sometime?

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:11 pm

nqCX635HEvgW wrote:Has anyone else had issues on Android with hostnames failing to resolve on Arne Schwabe's client, but after connecting/using VPN for sometime?

Yes, see this thread. The issue appears to have been solved; the nodes I've tested so far have been 24hr-stable.

nqCX635HEvgW

Postby nqCX635HEvgW » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:17 pm

parityboy wrote:
nqCX635HEvgW wrote:Has anyone else had issues on Android with hostnames failing to resolve on Arne Schwabe's client, but after connecting/using VPN for sometime?

Yes, see this thread. The issue appears to have been solved; the nodes I've tested so far have been 24hr-stable.

I'm only halfway through the thread, but the issue has resolved itself for me :) Thanks very much, will continue going through as it's been a good read so far! Ta

TheoTheo

Postby TheoTheo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Android version: 5.1

So, I downloaded cryptofree_client_android1_4.conf and installed OpenVPN for Android, as specified above, but am receiving the following error message when attempting to start the vpn process:

11.39 Used x 1 tries to get current version (10/10) of the profile
11:39 Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /data/data/de.blinkt.openvpn/cache/android.conf:32 rcvbuf (2.5_master)
11.39 Use --help for more information
11.39 Process exited with exit value 1

What is the issue here?

P.S Attempting to import the Android *.ovpn files on your Github page (https://github.com/cryptostorm/cryptost ... cryptofree) issued the following error message:

Error reading config file
No ending <//head> for starttag </head> found

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi,

Remove the lines with the following directives from the conf files:
rcvbuf, sendbuf and txqueuelen

As for github, there's a note stating:

When saving these config files, DO NOT USE right-click -> "Save file as" in your browser.
That will cause the HTML page listing the file to be saved, which will cause errors in OpenVPN.

Instead, click on the file you want to use, then click on "Raw", then save it.

/fermi

Return to “cryptofree: no-cost cryptostorm network access”