Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ

For newbies who desire to help but, can't?

Freewheeling spot to chew the fat on anything cryptostorm-related that doesn't fit elsewhere (i.e. support, howto, &c.). Criticism & praise & brainstorming & requests for explanation... this is where it goes when it's hot & ready for action! :-)

Topic Author
KonamiCodeNeeded

For newbies who desire to help but, can't?

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:22 am

How can we newbies who want to understand how to help and have a dialogue with someone who knows coding computing and this forum? I admit I need help and have abundent free time. I want to help and not need to ask how I can. I suggest a simple step-by step guide on where things are and how to get them. A list of ways to help. Then fast response time to get permission to do something on said list. My experience with computers has always been bad. Through that I learned that I either need to find help or go back to school for a subject where I only want to know specific things which they will not do. Also, I have -$10,000. Yes I owe that much. How can we help? Idea's?

kittenrockett

Re: For newbies who desire to help but, can't?

Postby kittenrockett » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:17 am

Try providing privacy tips that you have come across and havent been posted yet.

BTW the text is overwhelming heh.

Topic Author
KonamiCodeNeeded

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:44 am

I would if I could even type on your website. I had to get Opera's browser which is the suck. I have to have notepad open and copy and paste. I suggest if you are new do not do anything but, things that have step-by-step guides. I love C-Storm but, to get access to all they have to offer you better know how to program and how to debug websites. Also, If you want tech-support good luck. This is really an exclusive group. If you don't know programming or haxking then you may not be in the right place. They do not charge enough money to give support. I suggest you hire technical support. To make more money charge more and I know it sucks but you have to advertize...
-K

Pattern_Juggled

Postby Pattern_Juggled » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Your critique is pretty much accurate, and on behalf of the team we thank you for posting it here.

The bottleneck with our email support responsiveness in the last month or so actually isn't related to finances whatsoever. Indeed, our growth trajectory isn't held back due to any such constraints, but rather is always a question of trust. Adding to the core team requires enormous trust, and thus roles that hold core team responsibility fill slowly and always will.

One member of our core team, who is largely the lifeblood of the support work we do here, was pulled aside from previous focus on that work, during this time period. It's not our place to discuss further detail, at this point, though that may become less a constraint down the line.

Once that situation became visible to the rest of the team, we began the work of filling - temporarily - that open area in our work queue. It's taken a few weeks to have an appreciable visible impact, but we've not got an extended team member who has stepped into that workload and is, so far, doing outstanding work at it.

For years, we've prided ourselves on our responsiveness in the support area - by any channel convenient to members. Our hyper-exponential growth in the past year or so has stretched our ability to retain this critical part of the project's lifeblood... but it was only with an exogenous factor pulling away (partially and temporarily) a member of our founding team that we really dropped the spinning plates to the ground in a clatter.

But the plates didn't break! Ok, dumb simile... point is crappy support is not something we're ok with, and we never will be. We've (it appears thus far) fixed this bottleneck and are on our way back to providing unmatched, quick, friendly, useful support again. Give it a week or two, and I think we'll all be feeling that the hard work is again visible to members.

As to the lack of "how to use our network" resources, that's been a tragic failure on our part for years. Fortunately, some generous soul has kicked off the "cryptostorm user guide" project (the link goes there, although it's still being expanded and refined). That is a great start, and we do need to do more.

From time to time we hear that there's a feeling in the air that cstorm is about elitism and too-cool-for-school tech snobbery. That's something I know every member of this team - core and extended - abors, rejects, and will not allow to take root here. It is true that more than a few team members are exceedingly gifted technologists (present company excepted, of course) and several are far past any objective metric of "genius" in raw CPU terms... but nobody here is a snob about tech. In fact, we deal with still-floppy-and-new tech every day, and we know exactly how much we don't know, when it comes to tech.

Beginner's Mind, it's called in Zen buddhism.

We will sometimes spar with other deep-geek technologists on exotic technical topics - that helps us make good choices about the tech we use in the network, and it also reflects the need for us to keep ourselves accessible and visible to our peers in the cryptographic and infosec communities (practitioner and academic, both). That is how all research has suggested it is possible to avoid most/all predictably stupid security failures, by leveraging transparency and community feedback. That model works, and we also - admittedly - love the intensity and fast-paced nature of such interactions.

However, if you - or anyone - ever sees us being all big-swinging-bits with folks who are not also themselves overcaffeinated, proud geeks... then pleast check our privilege, and do so hard. That's asshole terrain, and we choose not to become assholes. If that disease starts, intervene!

This is an emergent system, cryptostorm. Less so in technical terms - our core framework is solid and doesn't veer hither and yon - but very much so in sociocultural terms. We've chosen to experiement with all sorts of new components and structural bindings in the "human side" of cryptostorm. Those experiements have, in turn, spawned new chances to try doing things better, and so on.

From inside the whirlwind, my sense personally is that a core bolus of accreted structural/cultural elements have developed around here that we're no less at risk of veering all over the map as we try to figure out how to grow at {crazy number we don't want to admit to}% + also do genuinely non-pathetic security tech work at globa,l scale + also publish our results and maintain deep open comms with the community overall + also do so without taking outside funds from non-engaged entities which means nobody owns us and nobody tells us what to do but us, and our members + also being humans with families and health drama and the need to eat food occasionally (sometimes sleep, or so we've been told). We'll still be a bit stochastic in how we do things, of course - that's a feature, not a bug - but the big experimental work is largely done and we're instead in the "continuous refinement" part of the growth curve. For a while, anyhow.

There's much syncretism here. We've intentionally mashed-up many items that conventional wisdom simply assumed were non-remix-friendly. Some weren't, we now know... but most were.

For customers, of course all this is somewhere between distracting and annoying, to experience and hear about. We agree, actually. As a team, our job is to deliver solid security tech/service with minimal or no tech drama, fiddling, or hideously frustrating tail-chasing on the part of customers. And to do so at in a way that removes access to cash as an obstacle to using the tooks we make.

We're getting much better at doing all this syncretic weirdness in a way that's effective and also mostly irrelevant/invisible to folks who simply want tokens so they can stay safe. We'll continue to refine that deliverable, and I think it's open to some multi-order jumps in performance metrics shortly.

Which, speaking of, I'll stop boring you to sleep with this endless, droning post and look forward to your further feedback, reactions, and above all else advice.

Cheers,

~ pj
...just a scatterbrained network topologist & crypto systems architect……… ҉҉҉

✨ ✨ ✨
pj@ðëëþ.bekeybase pgpmit pgpðørkßöt-on-consolegit 'er github
bitmessage:
BM-NBBqTcefbdgjCyQpAKFGKw9udBZzDr7f

Hecate

Postby Hecate » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:05 am

I've found folks here pretty nice, and I'm a total n00b. My computer/technical knowledge fits on the head of a pin, but when I asked for help on chat, folks were really helpful.

One thing I really do wish you'd do is provide a "help" file somewhere. My Narwhal 2.2 has stopped working, and I don't know where to go to figure it out and fix it.

Topic Author
KonamiCodeNeeded

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:48 am

Oh, I completely understand and am sorry to hear of current issues. I really hope you were being sincere when you said thank you because actually doing something helpful is really what I believe life is about. I am not just someone who want keep your service. I can't, I suppose, due to money troubles on my end. Also, because I didn't know what I was doing have an insane amount of issues. I need my computer fixed now... well maybe. I need someone to look at it but, that would mean they would delete all of the gems your service offers. I have like 10 instances of Opera running at once because, as usual, I just noticed stuff in my cryptostorm folder and installed it... I messed up. My comp sounds like it is going to explode and I can not access my github account and many other things. Also, Gozilla.org (with an M) hacked the crap out of me and have no security. I would love to stay with you guys but, I don't have the funds to fix my mistakes and as I am loyal, can't ask for outside help... well I can but, I know they would just tell me your software is the issue. So, I love what you guys stand for. I wish you all the best in the world! I am someone who you could trust but, I am not a programmer. I am a psychology/philosophy professional which means I am never going to have money lol. Hopefully, I can help more using those talents? Either way, I need this compy looked at.
Sincerely,
-K
P.S. Do not use social media unless you have in some way stripped them of their ability to obtain ANY data! Tip of the day.

Topic Author
KonamiCodeNeeded

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:45 am

Hecate, I shouldn't have said they were not nice. If I did in fact say so. (I hope I did not) Anyways, I found out why I wasn't getting the normal level of support. I was overly anxious about everything. My pace is a 50 meter race, not slow and steady, which is why a wear disgrace on my face. The turtle is the victor again, and again. Haha sorry, I like to act like a poser poet from time to time. Anyways, sometimes you do get disconnected. It is part of the security sort of I think. I think that is why the newer type of connection is disabled. Also, KonamiCodeNeeded is a persona or alter if you will. I do not reveal my true self to anyone online. I have created at least 20. The truth is persona's or alters are good for anonymity and the best persona's are 99.9% true. A program or person could with time figure out all my alter's/persona's if they looked for patterns. It is no easy task though. If you are that scared then you must change patterns for each persona/alter which will, in fact, make you mentally ill. Or a 5 year old with his invisible "friends."
I digress. A help button would be ok if it was designed to get instahelp. However, this storm is just that, a storm. As I said before this is not for the average folks yet. If they even want it to be so... however, it may be in time. I will do my part to help. As I do not like anything main stream other than the back street boys. Ah did you catch that? I did not say why. That is part of the persona/alter equation.
Cheers,
-K
[/color]

JC0137130

Postby JC0137130 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Hello I'm new here. I'm sorry for all the spam so far, I'll stick to spamming only in my own thread in the dumping ground from now on. If anyone feels like sending me a message please feel free, I'm always open for a chat now and then. This seems like a really great forum, although my skills are non-existent right now. I hope to learn a lot from you all because you seem like cool guys! I apologize for any weirdness; I am autistic and don't enter new environments without some chaos.

Cheers.

Topic Author
KonamiCodeNeeded

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 am

JC0137130 wrote:Hello I'm new here. I'm sorry for all the spam so far, I'll stick to spamming only in my own thread in the dumping ground from now on. If anyone feels like sending me a message please feel free, I'm always open for a chat now and then. This seems like a really great forum, although my skills are non-existent right now. I hope to learn a lot from you all because you seem like cool guys! I apologize for any weirdness; I am autistic and don't enter new environments without some chaos.

Cheers.

Welcome my follow noob! I like to reply to all messages I can, as I am, with out a "Real Life", job, or anything really. I that I can say is that these people are very kind and giving. Also, very busy though. I am still offering money for them to well use but, also to help me set up a website and be social while not being known per say. A bit of advice, though there are some people here doing amazing stuff. Meaning they may not be around to answer questions, however, there is another awesome person making a guide! I suggest you start at the for beginners section here then on to the guide. Also, never apologize to me because I am weird myself just ask they will tell you. I am also afflicted by metal illnesses, am physically disabled, and could not have a tomorrow. So, I expect understanding and I also expect to be understanding. Also, I suggest you have fun and be a character.
So, no worries mate! We all have something vastly wrong with us in my humble opinion. Oh yeah, don't go near the goo the sticks on you unless you are wearing a tank.
Sincerely,
-K

-I am a whirling storm of chaos. Watch the world quake as I awake-

JC0137130

Postby JC0137130 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:24 pm

KonamiCodeNeeded wrote:
JC0137130 wrote:Hello I'm new here. I'm sorry for all the spam so far, I'll stick to spamming only in my own thread in the dumping ground from now on. If anyone feels like sending me a message please feel free, I'm always open for a chat now and then. This seems like a really great forum, although my skills are non-existent right now. I hope to learn a lot from you all because you seem like cool guys! I apologize for any weirdness; I am autistic and don't enter new environments without some chaos.

Cheers.

Welcome my follow noob! I like to reply to all messages I can, as I am, with out a "Real Life", job, or anything really. I that I can say is that these people are very kind and giving. Also, very busy though. I am still offering money for them to well use but, also to help me set up a website and be social while not being known per say. A bit of advice, though there are some people here doing amazing stuff. Meaning they may not be around to answer questions, however, there is another awesome person making a guide! I suggest you start at the for beginners section here then on to the guide. Also, never apologize to me because I am weird myself just ask they will tell you. I am also afflicted by metal illnesses, am physically disabled, and could not have a tomorrow. So, I expect understanding and I also expect to be understanding. Also, I suggest you have fun and be a character.
So, no worries mate! We all have something vastly wrong with us in my humble opinion. Oh yeah, don't go near the goo the sticks on you unless you are wearing a tank.
Sincerely,
-K

-I am a whirling storm of chaos. Watch the world quake as I awake-

Haha I'm mentally ill too actually, but not physically disabled. We are all just ridiculous in our own ways.

Topic Author
KonamiCodeNeeded

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:42 am

I am sorry to hear that my fellow Noobiosmaximous. I live in a perpetual battle mentally, physically, and other ways. I hope you are more free than me I suppose! heh. Anyways, there are ways you can help but, they do require some skill... Although just word of mouth and telling those you know, why VPN's are needed and that Cryptostorm is the one they should choose if they really want top level protection. Cupe wrote a great article explaining why with all the reason's why you should use a VPN and why Cryptostorm. If you ask you could probable get permission to get the link to the article and share it with people. That, however, is up to Cupe.
I am working on stuff. I am learning how to do things better. Computing and more. I am working on fixing my computer because someone mucked it up. Yep that is how you can help. I would like to buy a website well a domain and show case my art, my story, and obviously advertise for Cryptostorm! I will have to see if I can work that out as I want to be the real me. We shall see. Sorry, for the lengthy response.
Be well,
-K

-I am a whirling storm of chaos. Watch the world quake as I awake but, notice my calm as I belong-

JC0137130

Postby JC0137130 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:03 pm

I'd love to see your art. I really like viewing art - it's a form of complex communication that just isn't possible through pure logic. Reality is the ultimate combination of art and logic - a timeless artwork built on logical routes, with infinite interpretations because it is an undefined system. A zero within a zero of different order, or something finite within an infinity depending on your perspective. Maybe some day we will meet in a reality of higher order, look back on this one and realize that our physical separation was but an illusion.

Topic Author
KonamiCodeNeeded

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:02 am

Hey, JC0137130! I completely dig your post. Most do not think so deeply; reality is as they see it without question or doubt. I encourage you to continue thinking deeply! Also, (philosophically speaking) would give you an A lol. However, reality isn't reality as it is always filtered through our limited minds, perceptions, emotions, time...etc. In other words we never see reality and reality is the higher order where, I concur with you, that our physical separation is an illusion. After all, we are more empty space than physical particles. At least that's what science says now.
Cheers,
-K

JC0137130 wrote:I'd love to see your art. I really like viewing art - it's a form of complex communication that just isn't possible through pure logic. Reality is the ultimate combination of art and logic - a timeless artwork built on logical routes, with infinite interpretations because it is an undefined system. A zero within a zero of different order, or something finite within an infinity depending on your perspective. Maybe some day we will meet in a reality of higher order, look back on this one and realize that our physical separation was but an illusion.

JC0137130

Postby JC0137130 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm

5 is assigned. Entries are now closed. 1 is being tested. Please disregard all messages. End.

Cailleach Bheur

Postby Cailleach Bheur » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:51 am

Hecate wrote:I've found folks here pretty nice, and I'm a total n00b. My computer/technical knowledge fits on the head of a pin, but when I asked for help on chat, folks were really helpful.

One thing I really do wish you'd do is provide a "help" file somewhere. My Narwhal 2.2 has stopped working, and I don't know where to go to figure it out and fix it.

Me too; total n00b and folks on chat really helpful. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

Return to “general chat, suggestions, industry news”