Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

immunity.zone virtual browser

Freewheeling spot to chew the fat on anything cryptostorm-related that doesn't fit elsewhere (i.e. support, howto, &c.). Criticism & praise & brainstorming & requests for explanation... this is where it goes when it's hot & ready for action! :-)

Topic Author
Pattern_Juggled

immunity.zone virtual browser

Postby Pattern_Juggled » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:34 pm

{split off from the 'virtual RAM' thread, for improved access ~admin}

oldnewb wrote:
parityboy wrote:@thread

ImmunityZone basically seems to be an HTTP proxy offering client-side SSL termination, where each proxy runs in its own OpenVZ or LXC container (taking an educated guess). Seems to be limited to browsers, so other applications are excluded.

No, that is not the whole thing. That would not be an interesting feature. The main thing is:
https://www.immunityzone.com/how-it-works
"Each login creates a virtual machine on our servers. Inside our Operating System a one-time browser is opened that streams the webpage content to your inside browser. Whenever you load a webpage in your inside browser, that page is actually loaded on our servers. We then stream the content to you.
A secure Browser-inside-a-Browser

Immunity Zone is a secure remote browsing environment executed on hardened infrastructure. The Browser on Demand consists of mature technologies like Remote Browsing, Operating System Virtualization, AdBlock Technology and Proxy Servers. As a user you can only see a simple web application displaying a virtual browser window. In there all the magic happens automatically. We created the world’s first secure Remote Browser on Demand. It hides your search and browsing from nosy interceptors around the planet and keeps you private. We hope you enjoy it!"

It appears you're both in agreement, in terms of the ImmunityZone browser.

We've been following them via twitter since they first became visible, and also gently goading them towards releasing source code for the project. Here's some conversational snippets:

immunitybrowser.png

In general, it's an excellent architectural model. In fact, we had an in-house effort to do this - codenamed "Pipeline" - back in 2012, but it was too far afield from our core offerings, and required too much staff effort, for us to bring it to a production status.

It's not clear this model is at all translatable beyond browser/web utilities, in terms of network security. That said, one could generalise the "run things remotely on a server-side VM, and simply screen-scrape/VNC/whatever the results to a local machine" model as far as one wants.

We used to call it "client-server computing," in fact. Also "thin clients." Also tons of other things, over the decades. :-P

Cheers,

~ pj

Topic Author
Pattern_Juggled

Re: immunity.zone virtual browser

Postby Pattern_Juggled » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Looks like the services has opened up to a broader beta testing phase, now...

ImmunityZone.png

~ pj
...just a scatterbrained network topologist & crypto systems architect……… ҉҉҉

✨ ✨ ✨
pj@ðëëþ.bekeybase pgpmit pgpðørkßöt-on-consolegit 'er github
bitmessage:
BM-NBBqTcefbdgjCyQpAKFGKw9udBZzDr7f

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:49 am

I've got a early beta access due to being a member of Swiss Privacy Foundation, any tests you guys would like to run?

The first thing I've notice it's blazing fast, but maybe because there's not a lot of users :-D
Second is that their systems seems very stable, no hiccups or some kind of 404's, and I'm using it while connected to Lisbon exit node LOL, next I'm trying to connect to Iceland with my CS Router, them connect to Lisbon with OpenVPN in my Windows laptop, and after that connect to https://browserprotect.me/ and try a speed test.... LOL

This would be like a tunnel inside 4 tunnels? hummmm lol maybe I'm trying Tor also LOL

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:47 pm

@Tealc

I assume they use custom remote desktop software on the user's machine. Does their software support Linux?

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:45 am

parityboy wrote:@Tealc

I assume they use custom remote desktop software on the user's machine. Does their software support Linux?

Just found out over several tweets and emails that the owner of browserProtect.me isn't the real https://immunity.zone it seems that it's a former employee that stole their emails DB from the Early Access Beta testers and the "software", at least that's what the email from https://immunity.zone says.

So with all of this we now have 2 services with the same technology completely free:

https://browserprotect.me/ - that needs login and invite
https://amune.org - that doesn't need anything

I've tested them, and even the "graphical transition" in the "Loading page...." (turning triangle) are the same

Bottom line, answering your question: It's basically a "web proxy" you connect to the site you want from their page and supposedly the end-ip can't see you, and each time you change site or page it starts a new "connection" to the end-ip, there is no software to download and it works virtually on any device. I think that it's something like the https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy :-D but maybe I'm wrong LOL

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:54 am

Oh boy what a great start for a service that basically provides me with a browser I enter all kinds of sensitive information to. And I mean this for both: The guys that got their database stolen and the guy that now runs the other service.

I kept away from this because I shudder from the simple fact that this is afaik a browser as a service and not "only" a web proxy. At least this is what their websites description suggests by saying they render the website on their system, etc. :S

EDIT: Also ammune seems to be pretty slow. (Just did a test on my "Icky-Stuff VM")

EDIT2: Also seems to fail at hiding real browser information and other fingerprinting relevant stuff. Will do some more testing asap.
EDIT3: It seems to hide at least some but afaik not all identifiying bits. Although it could be that it just accidentally uses some parameters I use myself.
home is where the artillery hits

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:52 am

@thread

Having spent 5 mins playing with this service (amune.org, specifically) and checking the HTML that gets rendered in my browser, yes this is a proxy. However, it appears to be a proxy that adds a few more details to the HTTP requests to make itself look like a browser (which itself is merely an HTTP client anyway).

"Browser as a service" had me expecting some remote desktop type setup, but this plainly isn't it. In reality I can't see this as being any better than torstorm, to be honest (that's not a criticism of torstorm, though). It seems to be no more than the old "proxy in the page" services that used to be offered for free from VPN and SSH tunnel providers years ago.

Return to “general chat, suggestions, industry news”