Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

(Europe) CryptoStorm's Next Top...Exit

Freewheeling spot to chew the fat on anything cryptostorm-related that doesn't fit elsewhere (i.e. support, howto, &c.). Criticism & praise & brainstorming & requests for explanation... this is where it goes when it's hot & ready for action! :-)

In which European Territory Should CS Place An Exit Node?

You may select 1 option

View results

Topic Author
parityboy
Site Admin

(Europe) CryptoStorm's Next Top...Exit

Postby parityboy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:08 pm

So...the team is looking to gauge the appetite for where the next exit node should go, so I've taken it upon myself to create one. This is the third of a number of territorially-focused polls, to see where network members think would be best served by an exit. I'll post this as a sticky to keep it at eye level - "eye level is buy level" as they say. :D

marzametal

Re: (Europe) CryptoStorm's Next Top...Exit

Postby marzametal » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:57 am

Come on Putin, spin kick an exit node you mutt!

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm torn between Russia and Poland. :D
home is where the artillery hits

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:11 am

Belarus or Беларус is actually a country that most people doesn't even know that they are members of Europe, and as a Eastern Europe’s outcast it lies at the edge of the region and seems to avoid integration with the rest of the continent at all costs, taking its lead from the Soviet Union rather than the European Union, this little-visited dictatorship may seem like a strange choice for a exit node, but its isolation is at the heart of its appeal.

Let's go Belarus :-)

BTW Staff I believe that here would be even more difficult, then with portugal, to setup a proper node

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:46 am

Tealc wrote: its lead from the Soviet Union rather than the European Union

This part actually made me go and look how they call Belarus in German because I don't know this name: Weißrussland (White Russia)
I actually know this country by it's German name and afaik it's widely known to be "the last dictatorship on the European continent" after the almost recent fall of the Spanish Franco Dictatorship.

Looking at the current course of things in Europe this classification is pretty ironic of course but it's funny how well the country reflects it's German name. I wonder what Belarus/Weißrussland calls itself in its native tongue. Afaik they have their own language although Russian is the second official language.

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:03 am

DesuStrike wrote: I wonder what Belarus/Weißrussland calls itself in its native tongue. Afaik they have their own language although Russian is the second official language.

So they actually call them selves "Беларус" (try to put it in Google Voice) and their official first language is a mix of Russian and Belarus dialect (Belarusian - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_language), and afaik, since I lived there a couple of years ago, they are still very dictatorship, and with that normally they say "We're small, but we don't take shit from anyone" LOL

It would be interesting to see "staff" trying to put a node in the country :-D, but of course the geographical position is also very important

Topic Author
parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 am

@thread

I see someone's already tried to game the poll with regard to Latvia...*sigh*...didn't they do that with the last poll too?

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:08 am

The guest System pretty much makes polls useless. Faking is always possible with multiaccs but right now it's a piece of cake.

Bottle 'o Rummm

Postby Bottle 'o Rummm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:14 am

Finland.
Rum, obviously.

Bottle 'o Rummm

Postby Bottle 'o Rummm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 am

Or how about one that's not on the poll. Sealand :P
Rum, obviously.

Topic Author
parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:10 am

@Bottle o' Rummm

Sealand eh? lol :D Also, if you support Finland, cast your vote. The one vote for Finland was mine. :)

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:39 am

We had a great discussion about Sealand and it's history on IRC some time ago. Sealand has a history fit for a blockbuster movie but in the end the "King" of Sealand is loyal to the british crown and thus there is no advantage whatsoever to build an exit node on Sealand.

In the end I thing Cuba would be a way bigger troll to pull off but money is too valuable to waste it on troll actions. ;)

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 am

I don't know if it is possible, but a Swiss node would be convenient for Wilmaa TV etc. (that's more a comfort than security point of view).

Topic Author
parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:55 am

@DudeOfLondon

Funnily enough I did think of asking for a Swiss node, but western Europe is pretty well catered for - France, Germany, UK - so in terms of territories what's left? Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Switzerland. Hmmm, that's just enough entries for a poll...:P

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:02 pm

DudeOfLondon wrote:I don't know if it is possible, but a Swiss node would be convenient for Wilmaa TV etc. (that's more a comfort than security point of view).

Do you know of a way of watching Wilmaa TV without the ads and with all channels?

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:53 pm

No, I only have been watching Wilmaa via Proxies. And used the Wilma Free channels.
With all the channels you mean the paid channels I guess.

privangle

Postby privangle » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:09 am

Dear CS-Team,

I wasn't here for only some weeks and now I find two new exit-nodes (St-Petersburg & Signapore).

This is great. Thank you !! :)

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:44 am

I'd vote Sweden if it was an option as I've heard they're a bit of a hub and much traffic goes through there.

Voted Belarus for now but requesting to see Sweden on the next Europe node poll :thumbup:

turbz

Postby turbz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:27 am

Sweden node would be nice, many good vpn providers there and I would imagine its cheaper since they got more bandwith than finland (as far as I know, all finnish internet traffic goes through sweden still)

thisis4thepeople

Postby thisis4thepeople » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:54 am

I made a little analysis for the existing network and what exit node would enhance it. Below you can see the exit nodes we have right now:

As you can see, all current exit nodes are in Western Europe with Laika being the only one in the east. I don't see another exit node in northern Europe to be very useful as Central, Eastern and Southern Europe would still be completely uncovered.

The exit node I propose is Romania (Bucharest). If you take a look at the EuroWeb infrastructure, you can see what backbone they have.

Their own backbone goes all the way from Frankfurt to Turkey, covering Central, Eastern Europe and Turkey. They also have leased lines going all the way to Moscow, Helsinki and London. This essentially helps covering the area marked in the red circle (2nd image). The green area shows the backbone.

Romania has also very fast, cheap internet and a good infrastructure with fibre cables connection all major cities. This and the fact that there is no data retention law (it was ruled unconstitutional twice [2009; 2014]) makes it the best choice in my opinion.

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Postby DesuStrike » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:04 pm

This analysis is so badass! Nice work!

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:34 am

Seen the Swiss exit node... peekaboo!

blahHHHH