Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ

宮本 Tokyo (Japan) exitnode cluster | anchor node = miyamoto 宮本

Looking for a bit more than customer support, and want to learn more about what cryptostorm is , what we've been announcing lately, and how the cryptostorm network makes the magic? This is a great place to start, so make yourself at home!

Topic Author
cryptostorm_team
ForumHelper

宮本 Tokyo (Japan) exitnode cluster | anchor node = miyamoto 宮本

Postby cryptostorm_team » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:42 pm

UPDATE: miyamoto is dead. Turns out Japan DCs are pretty bad when it comes to DMCA (which is an American law btw)

{direct link: cryptostorm.org/miyamoto}
config available here on-forum, and via github

After more than the usual amount of concerted effort, we are pleased to put in full production status the first ("anchor") exitnode for our Tokyo Japan exitnode cluster. It has been our intention to provide cryptostorm exit capacity here for quite some time - nearly two years, in fact. As we have a number of good friends & colleagues who reside there, we have been looking for opportunities to provide useful capability in this geographic space.

However, there have been some challenges and it was only when we were comfortable with our solutions that we made the decision to act.

Historically, colocation-based server capacity was difficult to obtain in Japan itself; some of this was the result of governmental regulation, some simply reflected challenges in working between cultures. For example, we were unsuccessful in explaining the "month-to-month server lease" concept, in past years, to potential datacentre providers who were comfortable with large corporate customers entering into years-long contractual relationships after extensive negotiations.

As time went by, we found those limitations becoming less of a problem but still there remained a lack of datacentres providing genuine "bare metal" servers for clients from outside Japan. For us this is a non-negotiable issue, as the security consequences of VM (virtual machine) exitnodes are simply unacceptable in a security-intensive context such as ours.

After this long search, we did identify a datacentre that was promising and seemed comfortable working with our style of details-oriented, technically aggressive network resource administration (translation: we're a picky, obsessive, highly engaged customer for datacentres and sometimes they prefer less technically inclined customers as they are easier to... market to, shall we say?).

However, as we began our work in stripping the machine down to post-BIOS state and installing our "stormnode" kernel and related components (a modified RLEH distro w/ full grsec mod implementation & extensive removal of unnecessary package structures, post-compile), we noted inconsistencies in the baseline kernel builds we were seeing on the machine. As the initial 'footprint' for the install came via network-delivered installer packages, we had concerns their integrity had been broken along the way. This we discussed with onsite datacentre technical staff, via our intermediaries in the project, and in the end we don't feel the datacentre was involved in anything untoward - but we also do not have an explanation that we can back with sufficient data to be considered definitive.

That kind of investigative research, while often interesting and useful for overall security community publication, is not our core focus and in this case our drive was to produce an as-installed kernel and production context that we are confident has binary-level integrity and has not been subject to mutation by hostile processes during installation or afterwards. After going through more kernel reinstall cycles than we care to remember, we finally were able to produce a machine that passed all integrity checks with flying colours: miyamoto.

২ ২ ২

As is cryptostorm tradition, we asked folks connected with our main twitter account for suggestions on naming the anchor node in our Japanese cluster. There were quite a few excellent ones, and we'll likely be using those as the cluster expands with additional nodes (we do refer to one-node clusters as "clusters," since we'd have to shift naming conventions otherwise, when redundant capacity comes online as is standard practice for our cluster management). However, it was not possible for us to choose anything but miyamoto, referencing Musashi Miyamoto but inevitably also bringing to mind the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo.

Musashi Miyamoto | 宮本 武蔵: author of "五輪の書" ("The Book of Five Rings"), calligrapher, Buddhist, scholar, rōnin. In his own words:

I have trained in the way of strategy since my youth, and at the age of thirteen I fought a duel for the first time. My opponent was called Arima Kihei, a sword adept of the Shinto ryū, and I defeated him. At the age of sixteen I defeated a powerful adept by the name of Akiyama, who came from Tajima Province. At the age of twenty-one I went up to Kyōtō and fought duels with several adepts of the sword from famous schools, but I never lost.

Musashi's development and mastery of double-sword technique - known both as niten'ichi ( 二天一 | "two heavens as one") and nitōichi (二刀一 | "two swords as one") - is often said to be a supreme expression of the art of swordsmanship, and masters of this technique in the intervening centuries are miniscule in number. Rather than the limited elegance of two-handed long sword use, he saw the potential for a fluid, elegant, profoundly effective two-handed/two-swords practice... even though this did not exist yet. Undaunted by its nonexistence and perhaps even a little bit drawn to this, he crafted it himself and shared it with students and readers of his words.

P03jigazou.jpg

At the same time, there is a dual-edged nature to Musashi's spirit: a warrior who fought dozens of battles to the death, and yet also a scholar and Buddhist. Although it is easy to simply assume these were "two sides" of him, we feel the deeper perspective recognizes that a thing has no "sides" but rather encompasses multitudes and expresses these elements depending on circumstances. His contributions as an artist, later in life, show him to be fully-fleshed as a sentient being and not merely a killing machine.

paint12s.jpg

150px-Kobokumeigekizu.jpg
150px-Kobokumeigekizu.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 36390 times

Much has been written, and much is worth reading, when it comes to Musashi's wisdom. Here are some starting resources, for those interested:

IWAMI dragon interview english.pdf
(52.75 KiB) Downloaded 750 times

DRAGON 01 2005-MUSASHI-ECOLE DES 2 SABRES.pdf
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 1061 times

DRAGON 01 2006-INTERVIEW IWAMI.pdf
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 1156 times

interview niten 2006.pdf
(68.72 KiB) Downloaded 758 times

宮本 | Miyamoto, Musashi's surname and the name of his birth village, can be translated to the Engish as "base of the shrine" and we hope this proves to be an auspicious choice as anchor for our Japanese resources. In combination with the soon to be released native Japanese translation of our Windows connection 'widget,' it is a strong step forward in our work to assist modern-day network rōnin as the embrace the complexity of whatever pathways life presents for them in their travels.

ありがとうございました。

~ cryptostorm_team
cryptostorm_team - a shared, team-wide forum account (not a person)
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES to this account, as we can't guarantee quick replies!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

jlg

Re: 宮本 Tokyo (Japan) exitnode cluster | anchor node = miyamoto 宮本

Postby jlg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:06 pm

woooooo!

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Truly awesome, 2 year member now, living in Japan, very happy to get top speed!

However, I run a Tomato setup and thus requires the RAW IP address to connect.
I followed these IP's as mentioned on your "official" list:

https://github.com/cryptostorm/cryptoha ... ostorm.txt

Yet, non of them give any connection, just keeps "loading", no error messages in my router's log file. Am I using the wrong IP for Tokyo?

Cheers,
Tim

vpnDarknet

Postby vpnDarknet » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi Tim,
I've had no issues with the same Tokyo connection credentials, until this week, infact it was my quickest access until now... I can connect to the node, but then do nothing. Have you been able to connect prior to this week with the provided details?
Buy your tokens via vpnDark.net and cryptostorm cannot and does not know anything about users - no link between a token & purchase details
Unofficial Wiki cryptostorm access guide
Ways to talk to me

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Well, to be honest, today is the first time I actually tried to connect, so I have no reference of how it was before.

From the logs I can also see that I can connect to the exit node perfectly, just like other exit nodes, but that is it. Requests never get through, no outside connection...

On a positive note, it does seem that I have the correct RAW IP indeed :)

vpnDarknet

Postby vpnDarknet » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Seems we're in a similar boat, good job there are the other nodes we used prior to Tokyo eh? :)
Buy your tokens via vpnDark.net and cryptostorm cannot and does not know anything about users - no link between a token & purchase details
Unofficial Wiki cryptostorm access guide
Ways to talk to me

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi,

Connected to Miyamoto. Deepdns resolves fine, but indeed no connection to the outside world.
Will DM staff.

Regards,

/Fermi

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:04 pm

good job there are the other nodes we used prior to Tokyo eh?

You bet ;) Surfing on Singapore since it came available, already a serious speed boost over US/Canada nodes.

Connected to Miyamoto. Deepdns resolves fine

DeepDNS does indeed connect, but I am somehow simply not using Cryptostorm as I can see from my public IP information. The other option (linux-miyamoto1 - 124.35.151.88) also connects but gives the earlier described behavior.

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:08 pm

All fixed. firewalld was fighting with iptables on the Tokyo node. Killed/removed/disemboweled firewalld, so it's happy again.

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Awesome response!

Killed/removed/disemboweled firewalld,

That made my day :)

---

I can confirm it is working perfectly now, surfing on: 124.35.151.88.

Different public IP now and service provider is ARTERIA Networks Corporation, seems correct!

Btw, any reason I should use the DeepDNS IP over the one I am using now?

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Main reason to use the DeepDNS IP of the node you're on (for Tokyo, that would be 124.35.151.85) is that without it, you won't have transparent .i2p/.onion/.p2p/.bit/etc. access. Also, some OSes ignore the DeepDNS IP that gets pushed to the client from OpenVPN, which might cause DNS leaks. I haven't seen that problem in Linux though, just some odd Windows setups (unless the widget is used).

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:37 pm

@df, thanks for clearing that up for me!

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Currently getting a:

TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 17 seconds (check your network connectivity)

When using the DeepDNS exit node ... to be expected?

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Err, 124.35.151.85 is a DNS server (DeepDNS), not an exit node.
When you connect to the Tokyo exit node, our OpenVPN server tells your OpenVPN client to use the DNS server 124.35.151.85. So if your system isn't using that DNS server, it might be a good idea to set it manually maybe via /etc/resolv.conf.

You can use the Linux command `host whoami.cryptostorm.is` (or `nslookup whoami.cryptostorm.is` in windows) to verify which DNS server you're using.
whoami.cryptostorm.is runs a custom DNS-like server that responds to all A record queries with the IP of the DNS server that requested the query. So if you configure you system to use the DNS server 124.35.151.85 but whoami.cryptostorm.is resolves to some other IP, then something is changing your DNS settings.

(There's a similar setup with whoami.akamai.net and whoami.ultradns.net)

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Dammit, I feel like an idiot now, thanks again @df ;)

Haven't fiddled with setting the DNS manually on my Tomato router, so now may be a good time to do so...

timusan

Postby timusan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:11 am

Hi Guys

Any update when either the Singapore or Tokyo nodes will be back online? They suddenly went offline and, apparently, stayed offline for quite some time now.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Tim

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:18 am

Tokyo is gone for good, not sure about Singapore.

timusan

Postby timusan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks for the reply.

That is very unfortunate news, especially as a Japan customer.

It was announced with much glamour and then suddenly dies a silent death. So shortly after its launch.

Was this announced somewhere? Any reason to this blow for Asian based customers?

timusan

Postby timusan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Anyone ... any news? Explanation?

huh

Postby huh » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:47 am

I think PJ used to do the announcements for these things. He's no longer with the org. CS is notorious for having bad brand management. They still haven't said what happened to Iceland which was a year or two ago. It's frustrating because it's a great service but it's also really uncommunicative. Recommend checking out AirVPN if you want a Singapore replacement. They're like CS but without some innovative stuff like tokens and built in tor.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:56 am

Has the Singapore exit node disappeared too?

Khariz

Postby Khariz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:40 am

It sure looks that way.

timusan

Postby timusan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:48 am

@marzamtal Yep, I think it is gone too, just tried connecting and getting constant TLS key negotiation errors, the same scenario as the Tokyo node.

This means that Asia based folks are now back where we were two years ago, with little options but to choose between a US node (slow) or a Russian/European node (painstakingly slow).

@huh Thanks for clarifying this a bit more. It truly is sad that they hold confusing, or at least, very limited communication with their peers over the forum. In one year time Iceland, Singapore and brand new Tokyo are all gone.

Is this foreshadowing?

I would hate to have to jump over to the competition ... but having dail up speed on a fiber optics line is getting tiresome.

Anyone else got experience with AirVPN? They seem a lot less "cryptic" than CS (clear website, clear exit node listing, ...). Anyone know if they uphold the same "harakiri" principle as CS or the same privacy standards (reading from there website, I would say yes ...)?

Khariz

Postby Khariz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 am

AirVPN is the only service I am willing to use besides cryptostorm. I think AirVPN is one of the only other companies that gives a crap about privacy. Their Italian to English translation on their website makes understanding some of their privacy policy a bit wonky, but they don't log.

They have some real-time data collection that shows a large bit of information about what is going on with the server loads and whatnot, and you can see your own data, but you are free to sign up with an anonymous email account and Bitcoin. All of Their servers are content agnostic. You can torrent or use Tor on any server, you can run web servers on their VPN servers, you can even be a Tor exit node over their service. They just don't give a crap.

They have really good SecureDNS ran on each node (very similar to what is going on here) and SmartDNS geo-routing so that you can use any content from any server (I watch bbc Iplayer from Canadian servers).

I like them a lot (but I use Cryptostorm just as much). Not trying to advertise, just trying to give some information.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:32 am

Guys, I really recommend you keeping a close eye (e.g. via rss) on the cryptostorm github. There you can watch live what nodes are added and removed. I'm on mobile so no link right now. Just google it: "cryptostorm configuration github" or similar.

Khariz

Postby Khariz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 am

Okay, I'm confused. Help me understand something here. Why doesn't the update nodes function of the Widget coincide with the current config files found on the github?

For example: the widget lets you connect to a British Columbia Canadian node, but there is no such node in the github. The github contains a Montreal node, but you cannot select that node in the widget. I realize it would be trivial for me to connect to the node I want directly,with OpenVPN, but I don't get why each source is both missing some of the available nodes.

timusan

Postby timusan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:25 am

@Guest

You are correct, and this is also what I (and I assume many others) are doing. Yet it does not explain why Iceland, Singapore and now Tokyo are all gone without notice, explanation or follow-up.

@Khariz

Thanks for the further update on AirVPN. A possible "worry" point with AirVPN is that they do log your source IP short-term, as is done standard by OpenVPN. CS has patched the OpenVPN source code to obfuscate this source IP in the logs it (OpenVPN) generates.

This means that, for however short the window might be, your source IP (and thus all information needed to identify you) is written down.

Maybe nitpicking here ... don't know ...

Khariz

Postby Khariz » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:32 am

No, you are correct. AirVPN captures the source IP and keeps it actively available for the duration of the session. You can log into the client panel and examine what the source IP is.

One cool thing is that you can connect to AirVPN through TOR if you want. Your source IP will modulate with the Tor exit node. It's pretty neat. They never see your actual ISP IP if you do it that way.

timusan

Postby timusan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Hmm, nice tip about bouncing IPs around using TOR, but not sure if I want to associate myself with that project just yet.

TOR, I think, may be the way forward in terms of real private Internet ... but it seems you get stigmatized the moment you become a user.

Its more the fault of sick individuals using TOR to do their deeds ... not the fault of the tool. But still ...

Khariz

Postby Khariz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:48 am

Well, again though, that's the cool thing about logging into AirVPN through Tor. Only AirVPN knows you are using Tor. To the rest of the Internet, you appear to be associated with ONLY the AirVPN exit node IP. The stigma is gone to the outside Internet. It's pretty damn awesome.

privangle

Postby privangle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:34 am

guest wrote:Guys, I really recommend you keeping a close eye (e.g. via rss) on the cryptostorm github. There you can watch live what nodes are added and removed. I'm on mobile so no link right now. Just google it: "cryptostorm configuration github" or similar.

Yes, I made the same experience.

I took a quick look in the forum when a node seemed to be gone and if I find nothing I look at the github list if something has changed, page which seems to be updated regularly.

By the way, for me the italian node didn't work for a while so I finally deleted the connection in my connection manager.

Today I took a look on the github page, I made me a new Italy-conf file and the italy connection works again for me.

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:11 pm

@timusan
I thought PJ posted somewhere here on the forum some time last year whenever the Japanese node went down. Guess not :/

The Japan node was purchased via OneProvider, who bought it from a DC in Japan (I forget which one). As with any other node, the DC receives DMCA (or whatever) notices, they get forwarded to their client (OneProvider), and OneProvider forwards it to us.

Since we've been with OneProvider for so long, they're usually pretty good about giving us a heads up if a particular location is really bad when it comes to copyright infringement. They did tell us that Japan is really bad with DMCA/etc., but several people were really pushing for a Japan node, so we got one there anyways. After 30 or so DMCA notices the DC killed the server, and we haven't attempted to find a new one in that country since the problem is country-wide and not just at that particular DC. Even though DMCA is an American law, Japan ISPs will still kill servers over them.

As for Singapore, we got that one from Leaseweb. The reason I decided to let it go is because it was too expensive (our most expensive server actually), and considering it was also our least busy server, it didn't make much sense to keep it around. If I can find a cheaper one somewhere else, I'll grab it.

@privangle
OneProvider also provided us with that first Italian node, and they said they were having issues with that particular DC (they didn't specify what exactly), so they offered us another Italian server at a different DC. I was able to log in to the old one and wipe everything like we normally do before a server goes away. The problem was that the new server kept having technical problems that took a very long time to resolve. It took them almost 3 weeks just to add additional IPs to the server, and CS needs those extra IPs to finish provisioning the node before it can go live. It's all fixed though, server has been up and running for a week or two now. The new node is in Milan or Rome (I forget which).

@everyone
DO NOT USE THE FORUM FOR NODE STATUS UPDATES!

I really should remove the entire “network-wide announcements, status updates, & official statements [cryptostorm.org/status]” area of the forum to avoid confusion, but there's a lot of conversations in there and people would get mad at me if I deleted them... Blah, maybe when I have some free time I'll skim through the forum and mark/edit old posts like this one that mention now-dead nodes...

I rarely check the forums these days as I'm busy with the general network admin stuff and widget v3 dev. The most up to date place for node info is github (https://github.com/cryptostorm/cryptost ... tion_files).

As for the Canadian server, I think what I did was change the Montreal DNS entries to the new Coquitlam/Canada west server temporarily until Montreal could be replaced (which hasn't happened yet), so that people trying to connect to Montreal will still at least get on some Canadian server. Then I created new DNS entries for Coquitlam/Canada west and added those to the widget's nodelist.txt. I chose not to update the Montreal config files because when the server replacement comes in I won't have to change the files, just the DNS (but I will have to create new configs for Coquitlam/Canada west)... Blah!

On a side note, if you're just looking for the IPs of all the nodes, the easiest way to find them is to simply resolve the hostname
windows-balancer.cstorm.pw (or .cryptostorm.net or .cryptostorm.org or cryptostorm.nu)
and for linux:
linux-balancer.cstorm.pw (or .cryptostorm.net or .cryptostorm.org or cryptostorm.nu)

DNS, the github config files, the whitelist file used by https://cryptostorm.is/test, and the widget's nodelist.txt are the things I update whenever a node gets added or removed.

df
Site Admin

Postby df » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:09 am

Email (df@cryptostorm.is) is best for me, since that sends a notification to my phone.

Deska

Postby Deska » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:14 pm

I also think you shoulf move this sub forum to the trash compactor. It creates more problems than it solves. You cab cherry pick a few good threads to be moved elsewhere if you like though.

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:16 pm

I would propose to send an email to both df@cryptostorm.is and fermi@cryptostorm.is.
So I can update IRC topic and other channels.

Regards,

/fermi

NOYB

Postby NOYB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:21 am

Khariz wrote:AirVPN is the only service I am willing to use besides cryptostorm. I think AirVPN is one of the only other companies that gives a crap about privacy. Their Italian to English translation on their website makes understanding some of their privacy policy a bit wonky, but they don't log.

They have some real-time data collection that shows a large bit of information about what is going on with the server loads and whatnot, and you can see your own data, but you are free to sign up with an anonymous email account and Bitcoin. All of Their servers are content agnostic. You can torrent or use Tor on any server, you can run web servers on their VPN servers, you can even be a Tor exit node over their service. They just don't give a crap.

They have really good SecureDNS ran on each node (very similar to what is going on here) and SmartDNS geo-routing so that you can use any content from any server (I watch bbc Iplayer from Canadian servers).

I like them a lot (but I use Cryptostorm just as much). Not trying to advertise, just trying to give some information.

Good tip! Thanks. Our proxy is running again and speeds are good :) We had been down for weeks.

Should have a Whonix box setup within the next few months, and plan to try out that TOR routing to AirVPN. Should solve our biggest bitch with TOR - those damn blocked IP address & capcha screens.

Return to “cryptostorm in-depth: announcements, how it works, what it is”