Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ

widget version 2.22 ('sexy narwhal') released in the wild | 4.2.2015

Looking for a bit more than customer support, and want to learn more about what cryptostorm is , what we've been announcing lately, and how the cryptostorm network makes the magic? This is a great place to start, so make yourself at home!

Topic Author
cryptostorm_team
ForumHelper

widget version 2.22 ('sexy narwhal') released in the wild | 4.2.2015

Postby cryptostorm_team » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:08 pm

{direct links: cryptostorm.org/widget | cryptostorm.download}

version update: this post now carries the installer for version 2.22 - full changelog in process

sexypinkwhales.png

Our latest release of the cryptostorm network access widget, version 2.2, picked up the nickname 'sexy narwhal' as part of our cryptostorm² project anniversary shenanigans. With Valentine's Day just around the corner, the 2.x 'Narwhal' theme was inevitably going to get a bit frisky. Thar she blows, indeed... :mrgreen:

It is not difficult to see that this release has brought together more improvements, extensions, refinements, & efficiency improvements than all previous widget upgrades combined. This progress is the direct result of generous feedback and assistance on the part of dozens of cryptostorm membes & those in the security tech community who have given generously of their time & expertise to help this project continue its groundbreaking embrace of serious security technology in a widely-accessible, LEO-hardened, decentralised structure.

Specifically, improvements include:

new features added this release...
    ☂ transparent TCP/UDP preference selection per session
    ☂ full support for torstorm transparent, traffic correlation attack-resistent Tor hidden services access
    ☂ seamless in-browser access to namecoin-enabled .bit domain names
    ☂ full integration into HAF-based gateway cluster & balancer capabilities
    ☂ full, four-TLD nameserver resolution redundancy implemented for all clusters & balancers
    ☂ complete elimination of the webRTC browser IP leak, whenever connected to cryptostorm
    ☂ support for Stochastic Port Assignment (SPaS) on-connect
    ☂ layered defences against leaked IPv6 packets, via proractive tunnelling & local nullrouting
    ☂ addition of further syntax to enforce Windows kernel's use of correct (pushed) DNS resolvers
    ☂ full upstream support for cryptostorms dnschain/dnscurve-enabled Icelandic resolvers
    ☂ minor tuning of caching/queueing syntax to support improved network throughput
    ☂ complete integration of no-cost cryptofree capped-speed fallback connectivity
    ☂ improved local-environment taskbar status messaging
    ☂ improved support for upstream-pushed messages & parameter updates
    ☂ full synchronisation with version 1.4 openvpn.conf parameter framework

bugs evicted peacefully...
    ☂ process hang during graceful exit - FIXED
    ☂ suboptimal threading performance - FIXED
    ☂ forced-reinstall routines for onboard TAP driver, to eliminate "zombie TAP" Win7/8 bug - SUBSTANTIALLY MITIGATED
    ☂ deprecation of the 2.0 version widget's now-(in)famous "Ben-Wa Balls" splash screen

2.21 maintenance release summary...
    ☂ difficulty installing smoothly on 32-bit Windows platforms - FIXED
    ☂ unintended deprecation of webRTC firewall-based leakblocks by other firewall applications locally - FIXED
    ☂ documented DNS query leaks out-of-tunnel via inactive NIC parameter queries - FIXED
    ☂ optional disabling of splash screen display during startup <-- new feature!

2.22 maintenance release summary...
    ☂ improved webRTC leakblock fix, via port-based blacklisting of STUN packets - FIXED

Full release details for validation, source review, & comparative analysis

Uncompressed (.exe) production-ready binaries:
    cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.exe
    (11.54 MiB) Downloaded 16254 times

cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.exe's MD5: fd2ecec7a1627a7fad87b8df4bc19f8a
      cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.exe's SHA1: 4077732b3993a2042904fdb8bd4de911df1e6a5a
      virustotal malware scan results for above-referenced hash-matched .exe are found here

Archive-format (.zip) production binaries:
    cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.zip
    (11.39 MiB) Downloaded 11359 times

cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.zip's MD5: d672b6c71b94a31db85f45a6bf3b4daf
      cstorm-sexynarwhal2_22.zip's SHA1: 05c675699d0518cb805e48113e38c818516f8c14
virustotal malware scan results for above-referenced hash-matched .zip are found here

ツ ツ ツ ツ

end notes & acknowledgements:
1. Stochastic Port Assignment feature is not officially known as "port-whoring" & any team member who says tweets otherwise is a dork...bot.
3. Musical debugging assistance graciously provided by minimalism laboratory.
4. Strategic humour deployments on the part of BYD are also acknowledged with genuine thanks.
4. Most excellent 'pink sexy narwhals' splash screen graphic courtesy @dfkt.
5. Beware swarming mantas.
6. Many, many cherry twizzles.
7. Cerveza on the playa with dorkbot, watching the sun set over the pacific.
6. Needs moar moustache...

sexypinkwhales.png

[color=#800080]...our deepest respect to Chelsea Manning, Jeremy Hammond, Barrett Brown, #OpKillingBay, #OpFunKill, & all the unsung heroes who do the hard behind-the-scenes work of supporting these frontline peaceful warriors ~ we are honoured to follow your courageous leadership towards a better future for all. Namaste.
Attachments
B8xcb0uCEAEixLV.png
B8xcb0uCEAEixLV.png (52.38 KiB) Viewed 252948 times
cryptostorm_team - a shared, team-wide forum account (not a person)
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES to this account, as we can't guarantee quick replies!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

DudeOfLondon

Re: widget version 2.2 ('sexy narwhal') released in the wild | 4.2.2015

Postby DudeOfLondon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi,
the automated update check tells me, there is a new widget version.
I then hit yes to download the update.
I install it and it says, that there is currently an older version installed.
I hit yes to proceed.

But after installation the is still version 2.01 installed and it again tells me, that there is an update available. It again points me to the setup.exe (that I already downloaded in the first step, above)

jdurne

Postby jdurne » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks for the new widget. :)

VirtuosicVagabond

Postby VirtuosicVagabond » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 am

DudeOfLondon wrote:Hi,
the automated update check tells me, there is a new widget version.
I then hit yes to download the update.
I install it and it says, that there is currently an older version installed.
I hit yes to proceed.

But after installation the is still version 2.01 installed and it again tells me, that there is an update available. It again points me to the setup.exe (that I already downloaded in the first step, above)

I experienced the same thing. I had to download the new update from the site manually.

In addition, I received a warning from Chrome telling me that the file is not commonly downloaded and can be dangerous. I of course opted to keep the file and verified the checksum. What could be triggering that warning?

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:49 am

I had also manually downloaded the new client.

Why is the "disable IPV6" option checked on default?
Does is mean I can't browse to IPv6 webpages?
So can I untick it?

bricky149

Postby bricky149 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:19 am

DudeOfLondon wrote:I had also manually downloaded the new client.

Why is the "disable IPV6" option checked on default?
Does is mean I can't browse to IPv6 webpages?
So can I untick it?

Yes. 2.2 has scripts included (found in the install directory) to automate the process of protecting users from known leaks. They can be unticked which prevents them from being run when connecting to an exit node.

Also, not many websites make use of IPv6 exclusively, it's mainly used within private networks.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 am

Damnit, stuck in a zombie tap ass raping loop...

Already manually disabled ipv6, so unticked...
Already added STUN rules to my firewall, will keep comparing IPs, so unticked...

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Went back to the previous version, and it connected on first attempt.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:31 pm

The new widget connects fine for me on Windows 7.
Just take a bit longer than with the old widget.
And the Tap interface now shows 100Mbit/s instead of only 10.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:31 am

Lucky bugger...

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:26 am

marzametal wrote:Lucky bugger...

Fresh install did the trick, time to see where things went wrong! :)
Is there another widget release? I am still getting update notifications after installing 2.2

cryptostorm_support
ForumHelper

2.1.1 incremental update

Postby cryptostorm_support » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:23 pm

marzametal wrote:Is there another widget release? I am still getting update notifications after installing 2.2

A performance-tuning incremental release - 2.2.1 is my understanding - has been approved for production release. Several staffers are having winter snowstorm adventures today, so it's possible it was promoted to announce via the update notifier in the widget prior to the rest of us knowing to announce it publicly here on the forum.

I'll confirm that, but meanwhile if you're seeing the notice, that's why - and what I hear is that it's well worth doing the incremental upgrade!

Thanks,

_ cryptostorm support
cryptostorm_support shared support team forum account
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES with support questions!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Yeah, I got that update message too.
For now it is the only way to get the new version. (since it is not yet available here in the forum)
It is version 2.21

PS: And that's the first time that the "global random" server choice option, selected a russion IP for me. (91.214.70.xxx)

cryptostorm_dev
ForumHelper

2.21 binaries

Postby cryptostorm_dev » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 pm

DudeOfLondon wrote:Yeah, I got that update message too.

For now it is the only way to get the new version. (since it is not yet available here in the forum)
It is version 2.21

Apologies for that. Opening post has now been updated with the 2.21 maintenance release binaries. It was pushed to production immediately after final functionality testing - but before anyone was assigned to do forum updates and ensure the new binaries are echoed up to github.

PS: And that's the first time that the "global random" server choice option, selected a russion IP for me. (91.214.70.xxx)

The network session profiles available in the widget are now maintained also in a public repository over at github, mostly to make incremental editing less of a hassle within the staff but also to allow folks to keep an eye on changes and new profile additions as the become available, if desired.

Regards,

/dev

Tealc
ForumHelper

Re: widget version 2.21 ('sexy narwhal') released in the wild | 4.2.2015

Postby Tealc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:11 am

So... I have a small question, why don't the token gets "Saved" for all the nodes? Even if I did the "check" part...

Btw "Deneb, Cygnus" hummm you're adding a node in the stars? :-D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deneb

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:00 am

marzametal wrote:Went back to the previous version, and it connected on first attempt.

Found out what was causing the dramas with login... I went a bit nuts on PeerBlock lists, more specifically, 3 lists pertaining to IANA unallocated IP ranges, which sucked in 255.255.255.255.

Because the block was happening on UDP level, there was no way to "unblock", since the strength of PeerBlock lies with TCP.

bricky149

Postby bricky149 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:08 am

Tealc wrote:So... I have a small question, why don't the token gets "Saved" for all the nodes? Even if I did the "check" part...

Btw "Deneb, Cygnus" hummm you're adding a node in the stars? :-D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deneb

Tokens are saved on exit regardless of node. I also believe Deneb is either the new 'global random' or just picks the best/fastest node (as Deneb is the brightest star in the Cygnus constellation).

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:24 am

UPDATE: Turns out it was also a proggie called AdGuard causing dramas... phew, no issues now :)

marzametal

Re: widget version 2.22 ('sexy narwhal') released in the wild | 4.2.2015

Postby marzametal » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 am

I wonder why Internet Download Manager cannot pick up the above two links, but does with other websites...

themanwithavan

Postby themanwithavan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:41 pm

At some time a few versions ago I've been encountering a problem where after about 24 hours I get a pop up that I can't resolve host. Widget doesn't reconnect I guess because it is a pop up. I can close popup and hut connect button fine but this requires manual intervention. Any ideas? Only known change at my end is an increased amout of uploading but I'm skeptical that this would be causing the vpn tunnel to disconnect with this error.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:21 pm

"Because the block was happening on UDP level, there was no way to "unblock", since the strength of PeerBlock lies with TCP."

umm- I thought blocklists are protocall agnostic- arn't they? basically peerblock is host file redirects to null- with fancy gui and list managment... or that's what I thought it was- am I wrong? what do you mean by this?

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:09 am

Guest wrote:"Because the block was happening on UDP level, there was no way to "unblock", since the strength of PeerBlock lies with TCP."

umm- I thought blocklists are protocall agnostic- arn't they? basically peerblock is host file redirects to null- with fancy gui and list managment... or that's what I thought it was- am I wrong? what do you mean by this?

You are right.. my mistake.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:21 am

Posting three images here... for the most part this is for AdGuard tech support to have a URL reference...couldn't do direct upload on another forum, so this is 2nd best approach.
withAG.jpg
AG is installed, TAP driver stalls, route.exe cannot do it's job.
withoutAG.jpg
AG is not installed, TAP driver activates, route.exe successfully commits IP change.
timeout.jpg
Let the widget time out on its own.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:40 am

Hi there.
I just wanted to ask, why on my PC the widget is faulty (GUI). The disconnect button is hidden behind the status bar.
Why isn't that the case on the screenshots of marzametal?

Is that a bug?
Here is a screenshot (don't bother with the pull down menu, I pulled that down to hide my token)

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:36 am

Sometimes it seems the widget blocks something in windows.
Because if that happens, the sidebar network widget I use doesn't appear and after some minutes a lettering appear on the bottom right corner of the desktop, telling me that windows isn't activated anymore.
Only reboot fixes this.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Wed May 20, 2015 2:15 am

Hello!

For me the entry "global random" is broken.
It always selects the last node, that I used before switching to global random.

For example, I connect to Frankfurt. Then disconnect, then connect to global random. And it connects again to Frankfurt.
I then disconnect and connect to Island. Then disconnect and connect to global random. And it chooses to connect to Island.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Wed May 20, 2015 3:22 pm

After restarting the PC tough this morning "global random" chose a different one.
But then again, I disconnected. Connected manually to Portugal.
Disconnected and chose "global random" an it connected to Portugal.

So it seems, that "global random" only choses a random server after fresh boot up of windows.
But if you had manually been connected to a server and then switch to random afterwards, it doesn't work random, but rather just connects to the last server that was chosen before manually.

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Wed May 20, 2015 4:46 pm

DudeOfLondon,

Is is most likely due to the OS DNS caching mechanism. The first time windows-balancer.cryptostorm.net (or other TLD) is resolved, all related IP's are put in the DNS cache in a certain order. Every time the widget is connecting, it will use the first entry.
To consult these records: ipconfig /displaydns | more.
However you can flush the cache by using the following command: ipconfig /flushdns.

Also these records have a TTL of 1400 seconds, which should result in a random connect if you wait +1400 seconds between the attempt.

In Windows 8.1 there's a way to disable the DNS cache by disabling the DNS Client service: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/flush-windows-dns-cache.
On how to do that in other Windows versions is googleable ;) .

/Fermi

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Wed May 20, 2015 4:54 pm

"ipconfig /displaydns | more" command show a lot of old websites, that I haven't visited for more than a few weeks.
Do you really think there is a TTL on Windows 7 for the DNSCache?

PS: Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Wed May 20, 2015 6:19 pm

The things you see in the cache, that's generated from the browser. You should expect not to see websites that you're currently not visiting, but ... .

The TTL in W7 will be the same as in W8.1, as this value is pushed from the DNS server.

Disabling the DNS cache on W7 is done in the same way as in W8.1.
(sure there are registry settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNScache\Parameters to reduce the max ttl)

/Fermi

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Mon May 25, 2015 8:31 am

What kind of firewall are you using?

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:02 am

Quick question about the widget...
In the Security tab, there are 3 options... disable ipv6, dns leak prevention and stun leak prevention...

Both ipv6 and stun options have corresponding scripts that are executed. Where is the script or where are the commands that dns leak prevention executes?

marzametal

Feature request...

Postby marzametal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:36 pm

I have been mucking around with the DNS leak protection setting, to see how it affects Windows. This sounds amateurish, but It's the first time I actually made use of the tickbox, so ner ner...

One request I would like to make in relation to this is to insert two DNS entries, so both DNS server address slots are populated. At the moment, the netsh command via widget only provides one DNS address. This is fair enough, as most exit nodes only push one DNS server... apart from Rekjavik which pushes two.

Maybe some time in the future, it would be wise to have all nodes push two, so when the netsh command executes... the screenshot provided will actually show two DNS server entries, and not one. As we all know, Windows tends to phone home (I have nerfed most of it, I cannot nerf one last thing because I am on Home Premium, I need Professional or higher grrrrrr...)

dnsslots.jpg
One populated, one empty... naughty!

EDIT: Also, this feature requires the same privileges as the STUN tweak, it has to be allowed to commit. Some firewalls or firewall GUI addons protect firewall rule modifications (as mentioned by PJ I believe in the STUN thread). Just a heads up... one last thing: when the widget disconnects, it returns only one of the previously populated DNS server entries, which means I have to manually re-enter the 2nd address into the empty slot.

EDIT 2: Another Windows eye-opener... Using Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 - Controlling Communication with the Internet ... more specifically Appendix H.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:49 pm

In the settings I have all three boxes checked.
But in the IPV4 settings (of the lan nic, realtek), the preferred DNS server is still set to my router (I did enter my routers IP there, way before using Cryptostorm and it didn't change with the widget).
In the IPV4 settings of the tap interface it is still set to auto dns.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:09 am

marzametal wrote:Went back to the previous version, and it connected on first attempt.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:45 am

I have the problem that the widget crashes. I disconnect, then close the application. And on closing the app crashes. That happens every time.
The faulting file name is perl516.dll

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:58 pm

What other security software do you have?

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 am

Only Avast Free Edition. Windows Defender turned off.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:21 am

I recommend trying without Avast. I have come across some threads on other forums where Avast was the culprit for various internet-facing apps and some network-related scenarios. It "could" be causing or contributing to your issue as well.

Do you have a previous system image to roll back to that does not contain Avast? Does Avast control Windows Firewall rules?

bricky149

Postby bricky149 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:26 pm

DudeOfLondon wrote:I have the problem that the widget crashes. I disconnect, then close the application. And on closing the app crashes. That happens every time.
The faulting file name is perl516.dll

I've had this issue for literally months and it has nothing to do with security software. There's something wrong with the exit routine causing the runtime error in the Perl interpreter library (perl516.dll). I would try and do a C#/.NET port but I'm an amateur programmer with little time to figure out how to properly do one.

sysfu

Postby sysfu » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:35 am

Just upgraded a system to Windows 10 (via clean install) and installed Narwhal 2.22.

Getting a Tap32 error when launching, after clicking OK to the error message it seems to connect and function properly afterwards.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Do you see a "TAP-windows adapter" in your device manager?
Then it installed correctly.

sysfu

Postby sysfu » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:33 am

I resolved the issue by following Tealc's guide

It's a moot point though, I ran Windows 10 for less on 10 hours before coming to the conclusion that there were no compelling reasons to upgrade. I can't fucking take any more of this god awful butt-ugly Soviet inspired 'flat design' trend, it can and should die in a fire as soon as possible.

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:19 am

It isn't called flast design, it is called Windows 3.11-design :D

KonamiCodeNeeded

Postby KonamiCodeNeeded » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:33 am

sysfu wrote:Just upgraded a system to Windows 10 (via clean install) and installed Narwhal 2.22.

Getting a Tap32 error when launching, after clicking OK to the error message it seems to connect and function properly afterwards.

How is windows 10? I here it is glitch filled? What is your take on it?

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:49 pm

KonamiCodeNeeded,

Can you try the following please:

Code: Select all

* uninstall all tap adapters in device manager>network adapters
    reinstall : https://cryptostorm.org/download/file.php?id=948
* add string value/data ComponentId/tap0901 (REG_SZ) with regedit
  value name=ComponentId
  value data=tap0901
  to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-
  08002be10318}\[0001]
  where [0001] stands for the instance on your system in which you find the REG_SZ string with
  value name=ProductName
  value data=TAP-Windows Adapter V9
* disable and enable TAP-Windows Adapter V9 in device manager > network adapters to reinitialize the   
  driver with the newly added ComponentId

/Fermi

vehf277

Postby vehf277 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Widget 2.22 bug found
widget 2.22, win7, if in "Options->Startup->Automatically start with Windows" and "Options->Startup->Automatically connect" are checked, client.exe does not restart as it should.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/Cryptostorm client contains REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\CRYPTO~1\bin\client.exe instead of "C:\Program Files\Cryptostorm Client\bin\client.exe" as it has to be.
I don't know if short form C:\PROGRA~1\CRYPTO~1\bin\client.exe works in this case.
In case of change string in short form to string in full form content of registry is overwritten every time widget restart.

JTD121

Postby JTD121 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:07 am

Not sure if this has come up before. Been running the widget in the background, not logged in. Anyway, just to play around with it (hit random port a few times), I go to options, and this is what is displayed.

Widget Options.jpg
Widget Options.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 203110 times

Can't resize, can pick one of the four checkboxes listed, and of course, hit the back button.

So far, a restart of the application seems to work, though I'm not sure what's causing it. Windows 8.1 Pro, if the OS matters. Seems to work otherwise!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You derive personal satisfaction from the continued existence of the near perfect day-night cycles of the hyper cube.....

► Show Spoiler

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 pm

yeah there is also a UI failure on Windows 7.
The status bar is to wide and goes through the disconnect/close button.

(screen is a little older, shows older server list)

Redneck Ninja

Postby Redneck Ninja » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm extremely new at this, so bare with me and the newb questions. I installed the widget on my Windows 10 computer, entered my token selected a connection point (Kansas City, KS) and hit the connect button. The app did it's connection thing and off I went with nary a hitch. When I checked to see if my external IP was showing that it originated out of Kansas, it instead showed an external IP originating from Las Vegas, NV. I then decided to change the connection point to Seattle, WA and check it again, which turned up the same results, Las Vegas, NV. I found this strange because the last time I used this service (with the connection app)back in June of this year, my external IP always matched up with the connection point that I chose in the app. When I decided to do some investigating within my settings, I found this:

The IP Address that is showing in the pic under the DNS settings is what keeps showing as my external IP address. When I did a reverse DNS lookup, it shows this:
104-238-$194.unassigned.userdns.com

I also did a WHOIS, and this is what came back:
NetRange: 104.238.192.0 - 104.238.255.255
CIDR: 104.238.192.0/18
NetName: VWEB-NET-9
NetHandle: NET-104-238-192-0-1
Parent: NET104 (NET-104-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS: AS36114, AS62956, AS53340
Organization: Versaweb, LLC (VERSA14)
RegDate: 2014-11-17
Updated: 2014-11-17
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-104-238-192-0-1

OrgName: Versaweb, LLC
OrgId: VERSA14
Address: 1110 Palms Airport Dr
Address: Suite 110
City: Las Vegas
StateProv: NV
PostalCode: 89119
RegDate: 2010-07-29
Updated: 2012-05-17

These settings were only changed on my physical Ethernet adapter, not the TAP adapter that is installed with the connection app. Also, the DNS settings did not revert back to it's default settings (automatic configuration) after closing the app and/or uninstalling the app. This did not seem like normal behavior to me, to which I uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times to see if I could duplicate this behavior.

I would like to know if the changes made to my DNS settings are normal behavior for the connection app, and if not, is there something I can do about it.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Redneck Ninja,

This seems to be the third occurrence of this issue (2nd if Redneck Ninja already sent a mail to support@cryptostorm.is).
If “Obtain DNS server address automatically” is the initial setting it should remain that way during and after the use of the widget.
I've tested this on W7 and it is definitely the case.

Could be related to W10. Definitely worth to investigate.

Regards,

/fermi

Fermi
ForumHelper

Postby Fermi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi,

After further investigation the behaviour is the following:

The widget has a a DNS leak prevention option, what is does is the following:

1) runs "netsh interface ipv4 show dnsserv" to get the current DNS settings for all interfaces
2) skips any interface that has no DNS settings
3) changes any interface with DHCP or statically configured DNS to the deepDNS IP pushed from the OpenVPN server
4) on exit, it should restore your original DNS settings.

The only obvious thing in the code that I can see is that if you connect, then goto options and uncheck the "DNS leak prevention" box, then on exit it won't restore your DNS settings.
But there is also a known bug on exit where the program crashes twice. It's possible that the crash occurs before the DNS restore does.

Regards,

/fermi

DudeOfLondon

Postby DudeOfLondon » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:37 pm

It's possible that the crash occurs before the DNS restore does.

I guess that is what happens.
I also found it is more stable to first disconnect, then wait 10 seconds and then close the program. (there is something happening in the background)

Redneck Ninja

Postby Redneck Ninja » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:48 am

I agree with Dude. I've also noticed that disconnecting and waiting a second or two before closing allows the program to reset the TCP/IPv4 settings back to user default. It still crashes twice upon exiting, but at least your settings revert back to what they should be.
"Pop goes the weasel 'cause the weasel goes pop!" :lolno:

themanwithavan2

Postby themanwithavan2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm still having problems with this widget. It never recovers from an error. It gives a popup that it cannot resolve host and then it won't restart because it says it is an error (and then unticks auto start).

But this is precisely why I want to reconnect! Can we get this fixed somehow? I'm at the point where I can no longer use cryptostorm because I'm tired of coming home and having no Internet. I guess it's because I'm in Australia and my Internet isn't as stable as others . . .

Jarmer

Postby Jarmer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 am

I'm on win10 and having continual issues with this widget. I absolutely love the CS service, and want to use it every day!! However, the widget seems to be completely broken on my laptop now. The other day I tried to connect to a slow public network and it got stuck trying to connect and then stopped responding. I force closed it in the task manager, and now whenever I use it, it gets stuck at the ipv6 step of the connection process and never recovers. No matter what network I'm on.

At this point it is impossible to close, it's just completely crashed. It won't respond to any UI interaction, even the exit button, and I have to force close it again.

I also use to have the two exit button crashed everyone else is having.

If there any timeline on an update to this widget? I'm currently sending this post through a tire shops wifi and I'm totally in the clear. I REALLY don't want to keep doing stuff in the clear!

Again, I love the network and ideology, etc... I just wanted to see if there was any update on the widget...

Khariz

Postby Khariz » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:11 am

Two things:

1. If you break the widget like that, resetting your computer fixes it. To avoid breaking your widget, just disable the IPv6 portion of your adapter at the system level and then uncheck that option in the widget. At that point it's redundant anyway.

2. They are putting the finishing touches up on the next edition of the widget. It should be out soon.

Return to “cryptostorm in-depth: announcements, how it works, what it is”