Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ
Ξ We've updated our CA certificate. All members need to be using the latest ones by Dec 22. See this page for more infoΞ

New exitnode cluster: United States of NSAmerica

Looking for a bit more than customer support, and want to learn more about what cryptostorm is , what we've been announcing lately, and how the cryptostorm network makes the magic? This is a great place to start, so make yourself at home!

Topic Author
cryptostorm_team
ForumHelper

New exitnode cluster: United States of NSAmerica

Postby cryptostorm_team » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:52 pm

note: folks seeking the most current client configuration files need not wade through this entire discussion thread! The current versions are always posted in a separate, dedicated thread, and will be continuously updated there. Continue reading this thread if you're curious about the details of the config files, want to see earlier versions of them, or have comments/feedback to provide - thanks! :thumbup:

We have put a footprint in the Land of the Surveilled: the United States of NSAmerica (Eastern seaboard)

Attached is a tested Linux/"raw" configuration file (version 1.3).

Underlying TLD-redundant hostname mappings have been propagated as follows:

Code: Select all

windows-unsae.cryptostorm.net
windows-unsae.cryptostorm.org
windows-unsae.cstorm.pw
windows-unsae.cryptostorm.nu

raw-unsae.cryptostorm.net
raw-unsae.cryptostorm.org
raw-unsae.cstorm.pw
raw-unsae.cryptostorm.nu

This cluster has not yet been put into general/dynamic production pool resources - we're hoping for some member feedback before doing so. As such, consider this a late-beta deployment of the cluster. We'd rather make it available for final perf-tuning publicly with network members, than keep it in-house longer and thus prevent wider member usage.

Our in-house testing has thus far shown excellent performance characteristics. But as always, we've one request for our member community: hit it hard!

Feedback appreciated.
cryptostorm_team - a shared, team-wide forum account (not a person)
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES to this account, as we can't guarantee quick replies!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

spotshot

Re: New exitnode cluster: United States of NSAmerica

Postby spotshot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:46 pm

usa.jpg
usa.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 23324 times

had replaced wrong mapping, fixed,
windows raw openvpn (revised montreal config file)
remote raw-unsae.cryptostorm.net 443 udp
remote raw-unsae.cryptostorm.org 443 udp
remote raw-unsae.cryptostorm.nu 443 udp
remote raw-unsae.cstorm.pw 443 udp

connected with no issues, great speed, can believe im getting 20mb with a vpn, dam,

funny connecting so close to D.C., and only 30miles from homeland security and 10miles from CIA

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 pm

@spotshot,@cryptostorm_team

How does the upload manage to be so much faster than the download, on a connection which (I'm guessing) is actually the other way around? I noticed this on the old network as well: my connection is 8Mbit/1Mbit, but for some reason testing over the CC VPN yielded 7Mbit/3Mbit.

Doesn't do it to me with CS, but maybe my connection isn't fast enough to expose this behaviour on CS?

spotshot

Postby spotshot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:50 pm

I have wondered the same but never looked in to it,
normal connection seems to test with upload being the same
or less than download, but with vpn its the other way around.
Last edited by spotshot on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spotshot

Postby spotshot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 pm

correct, fiberoptics, it always test same up and down

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Unless you're in the UK where the FTTP provider (British Telecom) will limit your profile(s) to 80/20, 220/20 and 330/30, just so they can protect their symmetric leased line business. :cry:

Mousy

Postby Mousy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi guys,

Thought I would like to have a quick wander around the dark side, so I downloaded and tried to connect to the US cluster but with no luck. I'm using:

Viscosity OS X client
OS X 10.9.1
Star Wars on the TV
Blue Suede Shoes

I tried to start the connection but even before the password prompt I get the following error:

The OpenVPN subsystem could not be started. Please see the log section (the third icon) in the Details window for more information.

Then it goes without saying that I am unable to connect to this exit node.

I am able to connect to all of the other exit nodes without any problems using the same setup, indeed the Icelandic cluster has been connected for a couple of weeks now and I've had zero problems with it. I've pasted the log from Viscosity in case it's useful.

Hope this helps

Mousy

Feb 24 17:44:09: Viscosity Mac 1.4.7 (1159)
Feb 24 17:44:09: Viscosity OpenVPN Engine Started
Feb 24 17:44:09: Running on Mac OS X 10.9.1
Feb 24 17:44:09: ---------
Feb 24 17:44:09: Checking reachability status of connection...
Feb 24 17:44:09: Connection is reachable. Starting connection attempt.
Options error: --txqueuelen not supported on this OS

The OpenVPN subsystem could not be started. Please check the following:
- Check for any error messages above this notification.
- Make sure Viscosity is not running under a File Vault protected location (put Viscosity in the Applications folder).
- Make sure the configuration is valid. Check the connection settings for the connection using Viscosity and make sure all settings are correct.
    Key ID: 0x75DA8C34764DD484
    Key Fingerprint: 5FD9 DF85 ED14 0D6E 5F20 6B20 75DA 8C34 764D D484
    Download My PGP Key.

Mahatma Gandhi wrote:First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win.

parityboy
Site Admin

Postby parityboy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 am

@Mousy

If you downloaded the raw configuration and imported it into Viscosity you probably need to remove or comment line 16

txqueuelen 686
# expanded packet queue plane, to improve throughput on high-capacity sessions

This is what it is complaining about. Just use a text editor to comment it out, then reimport it and try connecting again.

Mousy

Postby Mousy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:28 am

parityboy wrote:@Mousy

If you downloaded the raw configuration and imported it into Viscosity you probably need to remove or comment line 16

txqueuelen 686
# expanded packet queue plane, to improve throughput on high-capacity sessions

This is what it is complaining about. Just use a text editor to comment it out, then reimport it and try connecting again.

Excellent, that worked a treat. Thanks!
    Key ID: 0x75DA8C34764DD484
    Key Fingerprint: 5FD9 DF85 ED14 0D6E 5F20 6B20 75DA 8C34 764D D484
    Download My PGP Key.

Mahatma Gandhi wrote:First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win.

Eboman

Postby Eboman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:44 am

Fantastic!!!
I live in Virginia, so this works awesome for me.
As spotshot mentioned, great speeds for a vpn.
Happy Happy.

I've got a nice stack of Dogecoins standing by for tokens.

grystch

Postby grystch » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:53 am

Just wanted to say this node has been working spectaclarly well for me! Great speed and very reliable. :thumbup: :clap:
^edit: Forgot to say I'm using the raw conf settings, connecting with pfSense. :mrgreen:

exempt

Postby exempt » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:28 am

:thumbup: Awesome speeds over crappy wireless g. I'm in NJ

Frequency: 2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=49/70 Signal level=-61 dBm

raw-chili.cryptostorm.net

exempt

Postby exempt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 am

Wired this time

marzametal

Damn other countries and their non-speed issues...

Postby marzametal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:35 am

Damn, Australia is lagging behind in the internet speed section... But I must admit, UNSAE via Android provides faster downstream than my ISP does lol...

leftnutt43

Postby leftnutt43 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:47 pm

I was hoping for better speeds than what i am getting .. I have tried all the exit noids running win 7 on Amd quadcore 4 gig ram live in the sticks so only get 13 down and about 2 maybe on a good day but usually 1 .. but I am only hitting 1 maybe on all the noids down and alot worse up.. does not matter which onei use .. live in the Usa

sorry about this being a cross post a double post was not sure where to post this..

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3415026803]Image[

exempt

Postby exempt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:13 am

leftnutt43 wrote:I was hoping for better speeds than what i am getting .. I have tried all the exit noids running win 7 on Amd quadcore 4 gig ram live in the sticks so only get 13 down and about 2 maybe on a good day but usually 1 .. but I am only hitting 1 maybe on all the noids down and alot worse up.. does not matter which onei use .. live in the Usa

This thread is supposed to be for the new server. You have posted speed results from the Iceland servers. What are your speeds for this new server? You have to use the new config file provided in the first post.

The USA and Canadian servers should be fast for you. Are you using ethernet or wireless? What are your ISPs advertised speeds?

Which configs have you tried? For some configs like the one I've linked here, you may have to disconnect and reconnect to get a faster server.
cryptostorm_client_production 0-9b download/file.php?id=388

For example, I live in NJ and have advertised speeds of 50 down & 25 up, so the North American servers are fast for me but when using the other servers like Iceland I get this :

leftnutt43

Postby leftnutt43 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:23 pm

I am ethernet . isp speeds are 13 down 1 up. i have the config file i have been going over the guide on how to manually add the config files to the wigets over and over i add the USA server noids one by one the client connects but then when i try to surf or do anything else there is no connection to internet .. even though the client says its connected .. I am not sure what i have done wrong . tried connecting and disconnecting .. the recommended housekeeping procedure also. I am sure its me and i have missed something ...

exempt

Postby exempt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:37 am

leftnutt43 wrote:I am ethernet . isp speeds are 13 down 1 up. i have the config file i have been going over the guide on how to manually add the config files to the wigets over and over i add the USA server noids one by one the client connects but then when i try to surf or do anything else there is no connection to internet .. even though the client says its connected .. I am not sure what i have done wrong . tried connecting and disconnecting .. the recommended housekeeping procedure also. I am sure its me and i have missed something ...

I do not use Windows so I'm clueless about the widget and troubleshooting procedures, hopefully someone else can chime in, you should also contact a member of the team to get more immediate help with this issue.

exempt

Postby exempt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:42 am

FAST as FUCK indeed :thumbup:

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:08 am

OH WHAT THE HELL... 80 both ways!!! *finds the nearest electric fence and moves in for a kiss* DZZZZZT that speedtest just fried me stupid...

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:56 pm

marzametal wrote:OH WHAT THE HELL... 80 both ways!!! *finds the nearest electric fence and moves in for a kiss* DZZZZZT that speedtest just fried me stupid...

I actually love is the "Faster than 98% of US" LLLOOOOLLLL

I would love to have that :-D didn't need the 80... only 50/50 would be great

grystch

Postby grystch » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 pm

cryptostorm_team wrote:
This cluster has not yet been put into general/dynamic production pool resources - we're hoping for some member feedback before doing so.

Feedback has been pretty good hasnt it? How long before this put in the pool?

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Just leaving my contribution:

Btw i'm 6878.15 km away so....

Return to “cryptostorm in-depth: announcements, how it works, what it is”