Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
∞ take a peek at our legendary cryptostorm_is twitter feed if you're into that kind of thing ∞
Ξ we're rolling out voodoo network security across cryptostorm - big things happening, indeed! Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit GitHub Ξ

Token repeatedly has auth failures, too many logons.

Looking for assistance with a cryptostorm connection issue? Post here & we'll help out. Also: if you're not sure where to post, do so here & we'll move things around as needed. Also: for quickest support, email our oddly calm & easygoing support reps at support@cryptostorm.is :)

Topic Author
Captain Blackberry

Token repeatedly has auth failures, too many logons.

Postby Captain Blackberry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:55 pm

My token is on the 3rd failure now.

Each time it takes real effort to reset it.

Guerrillamail or the like, cryptofree, captchas, emailing my token over http, or faffing with PGP.

If I'm on my mobile and out and about, losing VPN is a pain. Using Safari or Brave is a pain to email via 'free' sites my key back to cryptostorm support, no doubt fingerprinting leaves my real identity, my cryptofree IP, and perhaps my token exposed to someone wanting to do some decent correlation.

The whole thing is a starting to be annoying now.

I bought a 3 month token, and have had days out of VPN use, struggling with 'free' slow speeds until I get around to resetting. It's only half way through the three month period and I'm annoyed at this latest auth failure rate (never had it before in years of use)

I think it's failing because 'shock horror' I use VPN on my iPhone (the best place for it), and so the connection goes on and off all the time as I go for a dump at my downstairs loo, or go to the garage, or whatever other reason my signal is lost and gained again.

If your system can't consider mobile users it's in need of improvement.

When I try an irc reset, no one responds. How many IRC users? Fermi has 3 or 4 usually. None reply after waiting hours. Which to send to? Why no 'cryptostorm' bot called "token reset" that just takes token strings?

Email seems to be the only way to reset a token easily, but it's arguably the most prone way to expose some info.
Ie, if you just email via your hotmail or whatever, or on ISP IP, your exposing your key, IP and other data, the ISP you use, all to multiple people.

On your github you talk about 'overkill' on opsec.
"Might be a little bit overkill, but we like overkill when anonymity/security is involved :-)"

OK, so if you love overkill and anonymity, why can't you just have a cryptostorm https page with only local scripts (so I can trust the entire page without captcha junk or external links), that I can access via my ISP without too many worries, and just drop my token in plain text.

The 'token' checker page is already THAT EXACT THING, why not just have a box on that page that says "click here to reset the token"

I'm sorry for the ranty tone but cryptostorm has gone down the toilet for my needs in these last 6 months.

For a few years I had seamless VPN, now it seems I get about 12 hours between resets *JUST* using the token on my iPhone!

If you're now wanting me to buy a 3 month token to get my 2 logons for my PC and my phone, but you can't even make sure 1 logon work without this failure, I'm going to be doomed to never being able to use your service because I've dared to use a mobile phone which doesn't play well with your 'logon' checking system.

Fix one or the other issues raised, or ideally both. But leaving it the way it is isn't good for me at all.

Fermi
Site Admin

Re: Token repeatedly has auth failures, too many logons.

Postby Fermi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:24 pm

@Captain Blackberry

Sorry to hear that and not acceptable. We will try to solve this issue asap. In the mean time, can you PM me the token/hash on IRC please (@Fermi)?

I'll elaborate more in the next couple of hours.

/fermi

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Due to the fact we don't log we had limited data to build upon and the rules were somewhat ... relaxed. We added 4 grace sessions. This is too much and not corresponding with the price model, so a change was imminent. As a consequence the scripts didn't detect the difference between a initial login and key renewal, we run into the

'Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting'

issue

https://cryptostorm.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9141&p=16889&hilit=Inactivity+timeout#p16701

when people were having 5 devices connected at the same time.
After a code change, and without having to implement something new next to the existing 'session counter', we were able to differentiate between an initial login and a key renewal.
This gave use the possibility to bind a different number of simultaneous connections to the different token lengths. So instead of unofficially allowing 5 connections/token we implemented other values:

simultaneous connections/token are:
1M (and less) tokens: 1 connection/token
3M & 6M tokens: 2 connections/token
1Y & 2Y tokens: 4 connections/token

We did test these scripts using different methods (sending SIGUSR1, SIGTERM signals; firewalling the client in plain action) and we always saw the session counter decreasing. In some cases immediately, in other cases after a signal caused by the 'keepalive 20 60' directive we use. But apparently in some cases it seems that the session counter isn't decreased like it should be.
We need to profoundly look into this if your session counter doesn't decrease within 120s after the connection has been interrupted on your side (for whatever reason).

So we will work on/analyse this issue.

/fermi

Toilet Humour

Postby Toilet Humour » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Well it stopped working again, but then came back on by itself again.

So the counter decreaser is working.

But then it's on and off again today about 4 times already, and 3 of those times it's *just* my iPhone using the VPN.

I'm not sure how long it takes to reset etc, I just get failed logons, then I just check the token on that webpage you have and it says too many sessions, then I use cryptofree.

Unless someone else has managed to get my token and is using it, which I wouldn't be surprised by given it's been emailed out so many times?!

Email to cryptostorm, with a long token, hmmm, could be a cryptostorm VPN token!

I just have to trust that guerrillamail aren't reading emails?

Who can I trust to email cryptostorm support? How do I even know if my token isn't being misused now?

So all in, I'm happy that the token check system is the way it is, you have to be profitable.
But please help out with the resetting system. I *should* be able to do it quickly and easily if this is going to happen a few times a day.

Why not have the reset on that checking web-page, then you'll have a list of all too many session tokens, and I can do it in about 20s off my iPhone, rather than about 10 minutes on a desktop via a potentially dodgy email provider?

I could send my token again, but where? Email, no thanks. I'm fed up of that insecure method of sending my 3 month token around.

IRC, to which Fermi account? There are three or four usually and none respond to tell me which one.

Oh, need Amazon AWS script to do anonymous captcha posts? Good job that when my token (working again!) just failed and kicked me off, that Firefox isn't allowed through my ISP firewall, lest Amazon get my real IP and where I'm posting to?

Sigh.

Collecting Pizzas

Postby Collecting Pizzas » Tue May 02, 2017 7:08 pm

On and off and on and off on my mobile. 2-5 minutes if I'm lucky then it kicks out, and takes 2 mins to re-allow connections.

This VPN is completely useless right now. It's worse than ever.

I'm going to spend 30 minutes of my life to get the latest config files copied to my phone.

Sigh.

Flipping Kippers

Postby Flipping Kippers » Tue May 02, 2017 7:32 pm

OK added latest linux ovpn file to iPhone, error on the ca.crt, commented out ca ca.crt line and now it works.

Is this an error at my side, or is the ovpn file set up incorrectly for iPhone users now?

What should iPhone ovpn files look like? Still the same as linux ones? A few months back they were, have things changed?

Also now on my laptop with my token, but I only get ONE logon now.

Whatever device I log on with, no others can and fail with an auth failure.

So now my 3 month token gets me only one logon?

PLEASE cryptostorm team, how can your service have gone from flawless for years on end to this total farce?

Is this your warrant canary being triggered?

Make the service so terrible and incompetent that people can only assume it's a purposeful plea to make people move on?

SIGH!

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Wed May 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Collecting Pizzas wrote:On and off and on and off on my mobile. 2-5 minutes if I'm lucky then it kicks out, and takes 2 mins to re-allow connections.

This VPN is completely useless right now. It's worse than ever.

I'm going to spend 30 minutes of my life to get the latest config files copied to my phone.

Sigh.

The disconnects could be typical for your mobile connection quality. We've recently changed the number of concurrent sessions allowed, related to the token duration.
Please note that the simultaneous devices/token are:
1M (and less) tokens: 1 device/token
3M: 2 devices/token
6M tokens: 3 devices/token
1Y & 2Y tokens: 4 devices/token
(https://twitter.com/cryptostorm_is/stat ... 2279579648)

If the session hasn't been properly closed there's a 120s server timeout indeed. This is inherent to the design. In the past all tokens were allowed 5 sessions which led to abuse.
Changing from UDP to TCP could perhaps avoid the 120s ... .

/fermi

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Wed May 03, 2017 12:17 pm

So now my 3 month token gets me only one logon?

If this is the case you could be dealing with zombie sessions (3M tokens should allow two connections). In that case please communicate us your token or hash, and we will take care of it.

Note: our warrant canary didn't kick in ... .

/fermi

Wobbly Coconuts

Postby Wobbly Coconuts » Wed May 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback Fermi.

My mobile is kicking VPN off perpetually.

In the past it'd reconnect almost instantly I suppose, and so to me it appeared seamless. Now it doesn't reconnect instantly, it appears to give up, and leaves me without a VPN without realising it.

That is to say I assume it reconnected almost instantly. I'm fairly certain it didn't disconnect often at all and that this is a 'new thing'

I'm sat here right now and my laptop connection just disconnected writing this response using cstorm_windows-balancer_udp.

My iPhone is disconnecting a lot too due to auth failures.

So now I need to send my token hash and say I think it's zombie sessions?

Just some general feedback. Whatever changed at CS in the last 3 months has been terrible in terms of service.

Changing bitpay to the new system was a turd move. How to make it almost impossible to buy a token anonymously without doing even more difficult tasks.

This new token issue with logons/auths.

Your service has gone from slick and fautless (literally faultless for years) to a complete and utter farce.

It wouldn't be so bad if your customer service was impeccable, but this will be about the 10th time I've had to email you (EMAIL FFS, a REAL PITA to use anonymously, and you NEVER REPLY to your IRC!) my token hash for this 3 month period!

I'm sorry but it's lame.

Oh and there goes the laptop VPN connection again.

FFS!

If some people took the piss with their tokens fine, do something about it. But you're taking the piss out of me as a loyal customer by dealing with the issue so badly!

Topic Author
Captain Blackberry

Postby Captain Blackberry » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

I'm trying to just do normal web work tonight with both free and paid, and I get a wonky message in OpenVPN 2.4 about:

Thu May 04 22:49:53 2017 us=369602 [server] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart),
restarting

This seems to happen and then the connection goes to crap.

Once it goes to crap, I then get AUTH FAILURES after a reconnect or two, which might happen after just 1 minute of time logged on.
This wouldn't be so bad but once it disconnects and reconnects my DNS from Firefox goes to crap until I restart it (it's firewalled to just the VPN connection). So that causes real headaches with sessions that won't refresh! IE, the ones you use a VPN to undertake!

This is all roughly the same batch/ovpn file config I've been using across three machines for almost all the time I've used cryptostorm. Nothing has changed. Just local setting refinements.

OVPN files are untouched except reference to a credentials file for un/pass.

Given the connections are going to crap on my iPhone too, which has no settings, a Win10 machine, a couple of 7 machines, and the only thing that has changed is all the cryptostorm stuff, I'm left thinking it's something at the CS end.

I'm also wondering why my token has auth failures. Sending it via email/irc could have leaked it? Is my token being used elsewhere?

I've just bought a month with another provider so I'll see how things go.

If no problems with their drop-in-place OVPN files, I'll let you know.

Not that I think anyone gives a toss given my support so far.

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Fri May 05, 2017 12:29 pm

@ Captain Blackberry

Thu May 04 22:49:53 2017 us=369602 [server] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart),
restarting

can happen, it means there is a connection problem between client and server. Situations like this cannot be excluded, since we are dealing with technology.
In that case the client will try to reestablish connection, while the server will not decrease the session count until a timeout window of 120s has passed. If a reconnect happens in that window and all allowed token sessions have been used up, an auth failed will be thrown.

So session count should repair itself, if not please ping us. We've tried numerous scenarios, but we were not able to reproduce the issue (pulling ethernet cables, switching from wired to wifi, ...).

What might be a solution on the firewalled machine is adding:
remap-usr1 SIGTERM

to the conf file.
OpenVPN will reconnect using a new connection instead of trying to reestablish connection using the old parameters.

Actually the only thing we've changed is a differentiation of sessions allowed related to token duration, all the other back end code remained the same. In the past all tokens were allowed 5 sessions, now it is more strict.

Note that we do care about our customers, and if you have ideas on how to reproduce this, they are welcome.

/fermi

Fermi
Site Admin

Postby Fermi » Fri May 05, 2017 12:39 pm

@ Wobbly Coconuts

Are you using a 1M token on your mobile? In that case it could be that the timeout of 120s we have server side could indeed be a nuisance. It would surprise me that it disconnects more often now than it did in the past. In the past we had indeed some 'grace' sessions buffering this, which could indeed give another perception.

So if you can contact us, we'll arrange a token which you strictly use for your mobile, so you can test and give us some feedback.

Note that we do care about our customers, but I don't fully agree with your remarks on our service.
But let us first try to solve the mobile thing.

/fermi

uz-uz-uz

Postby uz-uz-uz » Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 am

It's not just a mobile thing.
Have had the same f* annoying Auth-Failure Disconnect issues on a mac lately. First, my dd-wrt wouldn't connect anymore, but support for that had always been s* if you're not a superfreaky geek I guess. That's why i switched to Tunnelblick, which is only the second best option, since not all my computers are inside the vpn, which was kind of the point when moving to CS/openVPN in the first place.
Now this fucking thing disconnects about 20-30 times a day, without me even doing anything. And when I try to manually reconnect, I usually have to turn off an d on my Wifi, for it to work - sometimes. If this VPN-service is only for hardcore nerds (and not for curious engineers), then I guess I'm out.
I thought I must have misconfigured something or - god beware - haven't checked some deep dug answer to the n.th thread on 'page special', where important changes to the config are exchanged between the few chosen ones on a daily basis... no honestly, as much as I liked CS so far, the UX has been a piece of BS for me in a while. What a shame...
Yeah, I'm also sorry to rant like that, but this has built up for a while. I too have been a loyal Customer for years. So please, fix it somehow. Please.
Now Tunnelblick exited again...

Topic Author
Captain Blackberry

Postby Captain Blackberry » Sat May 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Fermi wrote:@ Wobbly Coconuts

Are you using a 1M token on your mobile? In that case it could be that the timeout of 120s we have server side could indeed be a nuisance. It would surprise me that it disconnects more often now than it did in the past. In the past we had indeed some 'grace' sessions buffering this, which could indeed give another perception.

So if you can contact us, we'll arrange a token which you strictly use for your mobile, so you can test and give us some feedback.

Note that we do care about our customers, but I don't fully agree with your remarks on our service.
But let us first try to solve the mobile thing.

/fermi

Wobbly Coconuts is me. I don't always have my un/pw data with me to logon properly.

I'm using the same 3m token everywhere, mobile and 2 pcs, but only ever 2 devices at once.

I managed to get a long run on the linux (ios) balancer the other night on my mobile.
Quite often though it won't connect, like a bunch of servers aren't up, so it has to retry or just doesn't work at all.

Also I notice quite often some of the fixed servers aren't responding, usually Switzerland.

I bought a blackvpn for a month, and despite it being poor in every way vs CS, at least if I log on on my mobile phone it STAYS ON for up to 48hrs... just like CS used to.

So I can say for certainty that if there are any 'real life issues' impacting the VPN connection on my mobile phone, the blackVPN manages the issue, wheras CS just drops the connection and then gives up, often without me noticing (yikes!)

Both my 7 machine and my iphone drop out and ovpn logs timeouts or other such things as the reason.
The issue then becomes if there are too many fail/retry's within the 120s, possibly with both my machines using CS, then I quickly run out of allowed connections and I'm screwed.

Just my PC or iphone and I can kinda use CS, but with both connecting and arbitrarily failing on and off the 3 connection limit and 120s reset is just breaking any kind of usability.

I've just been using the TCP balancer Windows here and this is my log so far. UDP does the same kinda thing.

I'm trying the SIGTERM entry thing you suggested earlier.

Generally though, why can't you just monitor connections using a given token if the token limits are breached (and allow the extra connections)

If some connections are just phantoms they won't be using traffic and I assume you can spot that?

So over the current 120s timeout period, you could instead have a 120s period where you monitor tokens running more than their allowed connection count and make sure only three (in my case) are being utilised for actual valid connections?

Ie, detect the phantom connections by seeing which ones are actually using traffic.

If there are for instance, 5 connections on a 3 connection token, and all 5 are using data, then after 120s dumping all connections makes sense.
But if after 120s only 3 are using data, and two are just idling or doing nothing, then dump those?

This would only seem to be a problem if someone has had their token stolen without the users knowledge, and their connections drop while someone else abuses it.
But if that's the case you're still screwed with the current system.

In any case, your system doesn't seem to play happily where blackVPN's does.

I literally drop their ovpn configs into a folder, point my batch calling openvpn at them, and that's it.
iPhone, just ovpn app.

This IS something to do with your configs.

Maybe my ISP is messing with my connection to VPNs, maybe my connection is crappy and causes timeouts, who knows... but the way your managing token user counts DEFINITELY IS breaking your service for me vs how it was before.

Topic Author
Captain Blackberry

Postby Captain Blackberry » Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 am

uz-uz-uz wrote:It's not just a mobile thing.
Have had the same f* annoying Auth-Failure Disconnect issues on a mac lately. First, my dd-wrt wouldn't connect anymore, but support for that had always been s* if you're not a superfreaky geek I guess. That's why i switched to Tunnelblick, which is only the second best option, since not all my computers are inside the vpn, which was kind of the point when moving to CS/openVPN in the first place.
Now this fucking thing disconnects about 20-30 times a day, without me even doing anything. And when I try to manually reconnect, I usually have to turn off an d on my Wifi, for it to work - sometimes. If this VPN-service is only for hardcore nerds (and not for curious engineers), then I guess I'm out.
I thought I must have misconfigured something or - god beware - haven't checked some deep dug answer to the n.th thread on 'page special', where important changes to the config are exchanged between the few chosen ones on a daily basis... no honestly, as much as I liked CS so far, the UX has been a piece of BS for me in a while. What a shame...
Yeah, I'm also sorry to rant like that, but this has built up for a while. I too have been a loyal Customer for years. So please, fix it somehow. Please.
Now Tunnelblick exited again...

It sounds like you too have a connection that isn't as robust in the necessary metrics to make the token limit system work smoothly.

It's sad that the CS team have implemented this system without too much testing with their user base across a diverse set of connection types and devices.

I can't see any solution here.

CS have tested their implementation locally and seem happy with it.

Roll it out, users have token issues, lots of token resets ensue. A fix seems to be made to reset token logons automatically.

Some end users still have issues with CS connections, and CS blame their internet connections.

End users have no issues with other VPN providers.

CS's token limit system is clearly still no use for users with certain connection types (timeouts, other issues?)

CS's solution, circle jerk the issue onto the user, rather than admit their token limit system is still poorly implemented.

I think CS's service is so good that I'd even go as far as to buy 2x 3m tokens if it fixed my issue, one for my phone and one for my PC...
But given that the 3m token has issues even on just my phone for days of phone only use, that isn't a solution.

Just to add, adding the "# remap-usr1 SIGTERM" to my tcp balancer windows seems to have made that work ok **so far** for 25 mins of connection.

If that works then that's ok I suppose.

But can I do that to my linux balancer tcp (for iPhone) file?

vRird

Postby vRird » Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 pm

I updated to Tunnelblick 3.7.2beta01 to see if things would fix stuff.

Does this help with the auth error issue ?

bugmenot

Postby bugmenot » Fri May 19, 2017 1:19 pm

I have had the same issue with two tokens now. I have sent an email requesting a reset 24 hours ago and neither did I get a response nor does my token work again.

I use the token on one machine only. It's not a mobile connection, the only disconnects are a mandatory 24 hour provider disconnect and very rarely some connection glitches. I use TCP because it works better for my current setup.

Your session reset clearly does not work reliably. Whatever abuse you are trying to combat, currently it prevents normal _use_ of your service. So I humbly suggest you revert your changes until you have figured out a way to actually make this work.

P.S. Please make your captcha work in TorBrowser without Javascript. It's annoying.

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Sun May 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Wow, thought as per norm, just me having auth fail issues on mobile... oh well, prefer CS on PC anyway, hardly use it on mobile.

I have had this 1 year token since February 2017.

Blah-Man

Postby Blah-Man » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm

CS is perfect for iOS mobile.

The CS connections clear out all the crap that unwanted scripts/tracking that you can't control on iOS.

Using another VPN on mobile was horrendous, no better than using your ISP connection given all the tracking that is probably going on.

Infact, this makes CS the *only* VPN I'd want to use on mobile for security purposes!

I just got a long-duration token and now all my issues seem to be resolved.

So CS could implement a way to detect un-clean VPN disconnects or multiple logons caused by that issue (temporarily allow a lot more connections that are idle ones which have timed out/disconnected?)

If a person using a laptop with iffy WiFi around their home, or even their desktop, *and* a mobile, is enough to make CS almost unusable on a 3 month token, that's pretty poor in my view.

To have to resort to the longest tokens to get enough concurrent logons to compensate for the aggressive stance on logons is pretty poor.

The whole episode has been a perfect example of bad customer support from CS in my view.
They should learn from their poor implementation (still poor) of login limitation.

They should improve the way the token resets are done. They should have the token check website also offer a trade-in/re-supply feature.
So 3 months remaining on a token, 'reset', get a credit and a new token sent to an email address of your choice, all via the https connection.

Sorted, no sending emails or irc or whatever else with your token.

For all *I* know, someone intercepted my last token while I was trying to reset it, and was using it, causing me too many logon errors for months.

Cripes, would guerrillamail see it in my sent email to cs email address? Easy way to scrape tokens? How about GCHQ scraping the entire email data?
How about Outlook? Gmail? Tutanota? Who to trust?

They could just DDOS logon with any old token they find!

So, CS = good.

The issues caused by what they've recently changed = terrible.

Plinkerton

Postby Plinkerton » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 am

1yr token now failing with auth issues, and not auto-resetting as usual.

One device used over last week, mobile.

Not reassuring, especially on a device with no way to stop traffic in the clear, and a tiny icon being the only indicator vpn is on!

This service is going down the pan.

IF you change stuff CS, put a notice writ large somewhere.
Nothing on auth not auto resetting on GitHub, twitter or here.

You've now made even a year token completely useless.

If you're gonna go crazy over login counts, make a robust system to cover legitimate users use cases!

Just ignoring mobile users is a real piss take considering you say you support iOS users!

Return to “member support & tech assistance”