Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

Repeated updates with warnings.

Looking for assistance with a cryptostorm connection issue? Post here & we'll help out. Also: if you're not sure where to post, do so here & we'll move things around as needed. Also: for quickest support, email our oddly calm & easygoing support reps at support@cryptostorm.is :)

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Repeated updates with warnings.

Postby WritersBlock » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:14 am

Hey guys!

I've only had this a few days... and I'm very happy for the most part. Good speeds, no problems surfing that a refresh won't handle... even youtube runs pretty damn smoothly.

Only problem I'm having... I'm getting warnings about the setup.exe file I'm being prompted to dwnld for update.

I've included ss's of the warning that I got. (I still had chrome as the default browser at the time), as well as a ss of the update file window when I reloaded the update link in firefox.

Usually I'd just download the file in firefox as I got no form of warning from their side... however, the day before, as soon as I loaded up the widget, I was prompted to update... which I did. Immediately upon updating, I was prompted of the need to update again... which I did. The third time it happened I got the same warning about how I shouldn't download the file that I got today.
So both days I've wound up just canceling out of it.

Is there a way to fix this? If you need any info from me let me know. And thanks in advance for any help or direction.

cryptostorm_support
ForumHelper

Re: Repeated updates with warnings.

Postby cryptostorm_support » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:06 am

The screenshot you've attached isn't working for me at the time I'm viewing this. Just to be clear though is this warning being thrown by your antivirus, or something else?
cryptostorm_support shared support team forum account
PLEASE DON'T SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES with support questions!
--> feel free to use any of our other contact channels, or post in the support forum
cryptostorm: structurally anonymous, token-based, unlimited ☂ bandwidth, opensource, darknet data security for everyone!
keybase.io validatorsonename.io validatorsPGP key @ MITnetwork statuscryptostorm github
support team bitmessage address: BM-2cTMH8K5JnjbfSALjZtSkRWCLfc3Tr8GBV
support team email: support@cryptostorm.is
live chat support: #cryptostorm

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:34 am

The warning is being thrown by google browser. At the time of the update, I still had it set as default, so it was what the update originally loaded in.

I linked the album in the first post, so I'll try them idividually... apologies.

In Chrome:

In Firefox:

Despite that... even if I update... immediately on attempting to login, it checks for updates, and tells me I need to update... again... over... and over...

btw... thanks for the great info in here on turning off geolocation in browser. *curtsies*

Tealc
ForumHelper

Postby Tealc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:31 pm

Yup you got the wrong download file, that's the old one, that's why it always saying you need to upgrade.
(@PJ can't we remove that file?)

Just go here.

And the warning you've got with Chrome is because it's a executable file and that version wasn't signed. But with the new version that shouldn't happen.
Still if your browser doesn't like the executable file just download the zip from the page above.
If you think that maybe there's a problem with some kind of "mitma" just MD5 check the file with winmd5.

Stay awesome,

Tealc

Pattern_Juggled

2.21 hashes, & antivirus false-positives

Postby Pattern_Juggled » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Tealc wrote:Yup you got the wrong download file, that's the old one, that's why it always saying you need to upgrade.
(@PJ can't we remove that file?)

I've just checked the version found at cryptostorm.nu/setup.exe via a manual hash of the binary (exe) and the hashes I get are:

MD5: 086d665539dc2d2641d965eeeef4603a
SHA256: 1958c1c9f08020a79758facde5e1eed1f47d12375d48ccc3a8984ed2bf7ffb9b

That's a match with rev. 2.21, which is the most current build.

I'm suspecting perhaps the OP isn't getting the file down because of that Chrome block (?) and thus the upgrade to 2.21 isn't happening, and thus at every instantiation of the widget it (correctly) complains about not being the current version. I think..?

This is all Windows stuff, to be clear, and thus somewhat above my pay scale.

That "warning" isn't actually a Chrome warning - we've done alot of testing with Chrome, it throws no such "warning" - so it's got to be some third-party "browse safely" plug-in or application or..? Again: Windows. Not my world. We did run the exe and zip up against the virustotal test suite of "antivirus" scanners (it's been a problem in the past - false-positives on the widget executables), and only came up with one weird false-positive from an obscure scanner (Bkav) for an unrelated something-or-other (HW32.Packed.4C3F), or as df put it...

I just scanned the client.exe for v2.21 on virustotal, something I've never heard of (Bkav) reports client.exe as "HW32.Packed.4C3F". Everything else is happy. So ima count that a false positive. Just scanned setup.exe, 0/0. All good :-)

If there's some client-side thing that's throwing false positives, we'd sure love to pin it down so we can get that rectified with the folks behind the scanner (which is usually pretty straightforward, tbh).

Cheers,

~ pj
...just a scatterbrained network topologist & crypto systems architect……… ҉҉҉

✨ ✨ ✨
pj@ðëëþ.bekeybase pgpmit pgpðørkßöt-on-consolegit 'er github
bitmessage:
BM-NBBqTcefbdgjCyQpAKFGKw9udBZzDr7f

Operandi

Postby Operandi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:39 am

Alright, Windows is my world yet, so let's see if I can be of any help...

First of all, as PJ has suggested, it may be because of some third-party Chrome extension. And I already can see two (unfamiliar to me) icons between AdBlock Plus and Ghostery. WritersBlock, could you tell us what these are?

Also, if you need some web browser besides Firefox, I would recommend Chromium. As you may know, it's what Chrome is based on; though, unlike the latter, it lacks the built-in spyware. There are no "stable" versions of Chromium, but you always can download one of the regularly-built snapshots (they should work just fine): Download Chromium - The Chromium Projects.

WritersBlock wrote:*curtsies*

Such well-mannered people are a rare sight nowadays...

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:34 am

@Operandi... What a great place this world would be if that were different xo

The two in between ghostery and adblock plus are 'Disconnect' and 'ProxMate'.

I'm also running, though you can't see it in the pic, HTTPS Everywhere as well as a couple of site specific extensions for FB and Reddit. Also, Cryptocat will be installed at the next shut down and Skype click to call is currently disabled but there. So, I'll be removing that one...

@pj and Tealc... Thank you. (:
Off to try the download, will update...

<3 @PersonWhoFixedTheAlbumLink

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Wow, don't Ghostery and Adblockplus overlap?
I remember Disconnect being free, now their site is asking for a fee?

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:38 pm

So I'm obviously tired. I just spent around 20 minutes trying to log in with the wrong pw once I updated...
After I got logged in I must say that so far this version is really great. Smoothest login yet by far and much faster loading... which is why I got sidetracked and took so long to post this update. >_<

Positive thoughts towards that continuing to be the case tomorrow during peak times.

Also, Skype ext. doesn't have a remove option..... js

@marzametal I don't pay for Disconnect. idk about ABP and Ghostery overlapping either? Adblock stops the ads from loading, but the trackers? tbh, lately a lot is getting past ABP.
I don't use Disconnect in ff and won't if I have to pay and I'm trying to stay away from Chrome until I can follow through with the config settings.

Good night/morning and thank you all for your help... The update worked without hiccups.

Operandi

Postby Operandi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:25 pm

WritersBlock wrote:@Operandi... What a great place this world would be if that were different xo

Heh, indeed.

The two in between ghostery and adblock plus are 'Disconnect' and 'ProxMate'.

I'm also running, though you can't see it in the pic, HTTPS Everywhere as well as a couple of site specific extensions for FB and Reddit. Also, Cryptocat will be installed at the next shut down and Skype click to call is currently disabled but there. So, I'll be removing that one...

Hmm... Doesn't seem to be it. Could it be a "feature" of your antivirus or firewall? Personally, I use avast! and COMODO Firewall, and either comes bundled with a ton of bloatware (including some shady browser extensions) by default.

Speaking of Skype and Cryptocat, did you ever hear about Tox? In case you didn't, it's the next big thing.

So I'm obviously tired. I just spent around 20 minutes trying to log in with the wrong pw once I updated...
After I got logged in I must say that so far this version is really great. Smoothest login yet by far and much faster loading... which is why I got sidetracked and took so long to post this update. >_<

Congrats on the successful update.

idk about ABP and Ghostery overlapping either? Adblock stops the ads from loading, but the trackers?

Technically, ABP is just a piece of content-control software, so it should be able to block pretty much anything - depending on the filters used. AFAIK, the only thing Ghostery can do over ABP is working with cookies. (Protip: just disallow third-party cookies in the browser settings.)

Oh, and I would recommend Adblock Edge (Firefox only) instead of ABP. Because reasons.

tbh, lately a lot is getting past ABP.

Fanboy has a good selection of ad filters at his website (including some that specifically deal with trackers): https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/filters.html

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:31 am

Hmmm... well I spoke too soon unless there is a new version today? It tried to make me download an update. I rebooted and it did it again, but I declined. So the issue with constantly calling for an update persists?

I'm using AVG free version. Maybe not the best? I'm still learning...
I chose it because of it's small footprint and it doesn't need much.

I used to pay for Norton. One afternoon, my computer started locking up. I'd try to shut it down. Had to physically unplug. Each time I rebooted, more things wouldn't load or function.
I should have stopped. Not that it would have done any good... I'll never know. It took less than 18 hours and the only thing that would load when I turned on the power was a blue screen and a message telling me that ntldr.exe can not be found... (something something worm something pfft)
10 years of family photos... I used to dev at imvu... all my files...
Its my fault though. I should have done better.
There's a user here in this forum named ntldr, saw the name the other day... I'm pretty sure my face twitched and I had a flashback lol

My firewall is the one provided with windows.

I have not heard of Tox... but thank you!! I don't like cryptocat lol. that took forever, like at least five mins...

As to ghostery... with ABP I was still closing trackers and widgets etc with ghostery. But I'll see how ABE handles the load.
Disable 3rd party cookies... check!

I just installed ABEdge... that's pretty freaking great! I'm gonna hit those filters too! You are just awesome!! :)
It gets frustrating sometimes trying to figure it all out, so thank you very much for the help.
I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm having fun.

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:28 am

ProxMate fail... or at least something is

-_-

Operandi

Postby Operandi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:29 am

WritersBlock wrote:I just installed ABEdge... that's pretty freaking great! I'm gonna hit those filters too! You are just awesome!! :)

Haha, you're welcome! I'm glad you like it.

By the way, I see that you have installed Tox already. Just curious: which client do you use?

ProxMate fail... or at least something is

Seeing how they recommend Chrome over Firefox, I'd think twice before installing that shady software. Anyway, you can try to watch that video from another exitnode (the Iceland one, for example) - that should do the trick.

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:39 am

I installed qTox 64 bit.

I have to reconsider what I said about ABE...
I never disabled ghostery when I reloaded the window, so it was still functional. When I realized it, I disabled it and everything got through. Every tracker, beacon... all of it lololol it all showed up in ghostery even though it wasnt actively working.
So I checked... I've got both lists installed. Im not sure whats going on so I just re-enabled ghostery since it was late.

Still getting prompted to update every login...

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:59 am

nm... figured out ADE.

Pattern_Juggled

widget 2.22 maintenance release promoted to production

Postby Pattern_Juggled » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:44 pm

WritersBlock wrote:Still getting prompted to update every login...

That's an actual update that it's promoting :-)

Maintenance release 2.22 went out shortly after 2.21, to encode some newly-expanded blocking syntax for the webRTC browser IP address leak situation. Long story.

If you're ever unsure on a promoted update, there's always information on the exact most-current release version - as well as various hash fingerprints of the underlying files to ensure what's being provided over the wire is the same .exe as what we've published - on two separate domains we run:

It's likely that fairly regular maintenance releases of the widget will continue to be pushed, because we're expanding some of the information leak vectors we seek to mitigate via widge-based techniques. The upside is we are able to proactively address emerging issues in the are of data-in-transit privacy & security, via these mechanisms, with no need for members to stay abreast of the hour-by-hour minutia of such things. The downside is the more frequent "new version available" alerts when launching the browser.

The option of pushing "silent" updates of code or parameters to the browser is one we've discussed, on and off, for years. Mostly, on philosophical grounds we're ambivalent tending towards disinclined to favour. It's just a bit too "trust us, we'll push code down to your machine without you know it" for our sensibilities. Plus, if an attacker hijacks that channel then they've got full remote exploit access to member local machines.

The naggy "update now" messages are annoying, no question - but they retain fundamental agency and choice in the hands of the individual cryptostorm member, rather than centralising those decisions upstream in the network. That's much more aligned with the project overall, despite the cost of more routine alerts such as this.

All that said, it's certainly an area where we're evolving and learning as we go.

Cheers,

~ pj

✨ ✨ ✨
bitmessage:

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks for letting me know. :)

It updated no problems this time, no repeated requests to do so. Woot! xo

abe... leaks like a sieve... that is all. I really really wanted that one to work...
uninstalled Tox due to pertinent info on their twitter page. Back to searching...

Again, thank you to everyone for the assistance and advice.
I consider this matter resolved successfully.

Operandi

Postby Operandi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:09 am

Alright, now I feel like a villain...

WritersBlock wrote:abe... leaks like a sieve... that is all. I really really wanted that one to work...

ABE is just a fork of Adblock Plus - both use the subscriptions/filters in the same way. As such, it should "leak" no more than ABP. Are you sure that Ghostery isn't just displaying the list of trackers present on a page without actually blocking anything?

Also, I'll just leave this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery#Criticism

uninstalled Tox due to pertinent info on their twitter page. Back to searching...

Sounds unsettling. Which info do you mean?

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:59 am

Nah... no villain. I didn't have to listen to you.
Tox... Their canary is gone.

As far as ABE, honestly, no I'm not sure. I kinda backed off it after the issues. I have a handful of things I'm trying to accomplish, and at least four of them are over my head. I start to work on one, only to have the others distract me... So I put it down for now. I've still got a nuts n bolts issue I'm trying to resolve and then I'm probably going to just pay some damn body to help me with the rest... I'm self taught with most things, but some of the terminology I'm encountering is just making my head spin a lil. I'll figure it out eventually... hopefully. Maybe I'll find a youtube tut lol *bangs head*

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:08 pm

What are ya' tryin' to achieve...

Operandi

Postby Operandi » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:02 pm

WritersBlock wrote:Tox... Their canary is gone.

I just did some search. Here's the original tweet: https://twitter.com/ProjectTox/status/5 ... 7172299777

And here's what the Tox Wiki has to say on the matter: Canary.html - Tox Wiki.

Also, Wired has an article about Tox where they mention the canary: Out in the Open: Hackers Build a Skype That's Not Controlled by Microsoft.

While that certainly does sound a bit suspicious, I sincerely doubt that an open-source software even needs a warrant canary. After all, the code is there for everyone to see (and compile, if needed).

That being said, maybe I'm just not paranoid enough. Any other opinions?

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:12 am

marzametal wrote:What are ya' tryin' to achieve...

My main issue... I have a drive that I can't access. Brand new computer... first time complete build (helped my son with it, mostly just guided... he did an amazing job really). I'm only running on the SSD. The 1 Tig HDD doesn't register at all... and I have no idea why... don't know what to search... It was originally showing up in the boot list... now it doesn't. It's there in hardware manager though. I've done hardware change outs, minor config, mid range ish pretty much. I know more than the techs on the phone but shit tons less than ya'll. Any and everything I know about computers, I've taught myself either reading online or watching vids on youtube, I shit you knot.

But there are a lot of areas I need to be walked through to understand. I'm a lil ADD, and words just start swimming after a while.
I'll get it... I just need to be shown. I comprehend things better that way.

I also deleted some setup files... months after this was built... mostly no issues, stuff like browser setup files, software etc... but as soon as I did... I start getting popups every time I login telling me two different log files are missing (i dont recall what they are this moment asus.init.log or some ish). I can see that something is gone from the desktop... and I'm guessing its one of the programs for monitoring or changing the environment that came on the disk with the motherboard (there are several). Really I'm sure I don't care about the prog, obviously wasn't using it. But the damn pop ups... 2 from admin side. 8 from reg user. Just irritating really, but again... no idea how to solve.

I solved my issue with needing to install Tor, Orbot on my phone changing the proxy for twitter... etc etc. I still have more settings and software I need to check on concerning that...
Speaking of Tor... I also downloaded and burned a linux iso image to disc the other day... won't boot. No clue why.
Which is how I ended up here. So I've shelved toying with that for now...

I also remember reading somewhere that I need to change the settings on my router... yeah, haven't even begun to look at that. Not even sure it will matter as it's a rental from the cable co.

I also need to do my taxes... -_- this is actually just procrastination.

Wait!!! There's more.... come back!!!! Do I hear laughing??

T_T

Operandi wrote:That being said, maybe I'm just not paranoid enough. Any other opinions?

I have become paranoid, now that I see how easy it is, even someone as computer literate as a box of rocks, to pay someone to locate someone else... So I have to be... and I should have joined a vpn a long time ago, would have had I realized... I should have done a lot of things differently... but I'm trying to fix that now. I'm trying to be better.

I came here to this vpn service, because people I have come to know and find myself caring about and having mad fucking respect for... THEY use this service.
That speaks more to me than any amount of articles or reviews. When I went to the Tox twitter pg... I didn't see that to be the case.
TBH... the only person I'd probably even talk to on the thing is my son, IF I can install a client it can communicate with on my phone.

However, should I speak with someone else, and they were to say something... maybe they want to talk about the j we toasted last week out back...
So if I want to talk about a thoroughly toasted j, privately, and with less fear of consequences... because I'm halfway wondering when they're going to full pendulum back the other way and make mass arrests... then I need to be as smart as possible.

But, bottom line... because fuck them they don't need to know. :) That's why it's called privacy.

Per ABE, My intention was not to pass judgement directly on the prog, despite my comments. No matter what is going on, that is the situation I've found myself in, with my particular set up. I'm sure it's on my end.
I'm sure ABE works really great for plenty of folks. <3 I just have iffy luck.

Pattern_Juggled

Postby Pattern_Juggled » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 pm

WritersBlock wrote:I start to work on one, only to have the others distract me... So I put it down for now.

That could more or less serve as a well-compressed biography of my professional life thus far, tbh. :-)

Cheers,

~ pj

✨ ✨ ✨
bitmessage:

Operandi

Postby Operandi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:01 pm

@OP

The other day I came across a rather promising browser extension: Privacy Badger by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

It is supposed to block all kinds of third-party trackers, so I think you may be interested.

Topic Author
WritersBlock

Postby WritersBlock » Sat May 23, 2015 8:01 am

Thank you... Ive recently had some issues and was forced to upgrade to *gag* windows 10 on this computer...
I feel so dirty....

But it removed every single one of my extensions during the upgrade... and after some of the comments on ABE idk about all that. :)

marzametal

Postby marzametal » Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 am

lmao forced... damn these recent Windows Updates... *closes blinds so the dirty gag update peepshow stays private* lol

Return to “member support & tech assistance”